What place has the best cocktails?

Old 05-14-2024, 03:54 PM
Veteran member
Default What place has the best cocktails?

I mean, the best bartenders, and the best ingredients. I mean quality bourbons with demerara syrup, luxardo cherries, and good bitters. I mean they don't stock sour mix at all. I mean places that use lime juice and simple and don't stock Rose's sweetened lime.

I mean a place that if I ask for a classic daiquiri they won't look for strawberries and slush. A place that if I order a gimlet they will ask gin or vodka and what brand I prefer.

Maybe a place that asks if I want my old fashioned muddled or just stirred. A place that knows to never shake a martini unless a spy from Britain enters.

A place the dry shakes a drink with egg whites before the ice is added for shaking.

A place that has real grenadine, not Rose's red high fructose corn syrup.

Now, for the posts about to come... I know not to drink and drive. I know I drink too much. I know all about that stuff. I'm not looking for happy hours. I'm looking for quality. Bartenders that have come up with their own cocktails that make sense based on ingredients.

I want bartenders that measure! I want balanced cocktails.

Okay, so I did get all of the above at Harvest from a couple of bartenders. So far that is my favorite for drinks, but the food, while okay, not my favorite.

I've had good luck and bad luck at Bluefin. Once they used Rose's Sweetened Lime in my gimlet. I guess I can't fault them since classically it's made with lime cordial. But since's Rose's is crap it's better to have lime juice and simple syrup.

Oh and I'm actually okay with bottled lime juice or lemon juice. I'm not a drink snob after all.

Old 05-14-2024, 04:01 PM

You're not a drink snob?? WOW!!

Old 05-14-2024, 04:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymo View Post
You're not a drink snob?? WOW!!
LOL I know. During Covid I built a bar in my basement. I had nothing to do but learn about classic cocktails and newer cocktails. I learned too much.

This is in Massachusetts. I certainly won't have it in the Florida house.

The Villages Florida

Old 05-14-2024, 04:33 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,556 Times in 423 Posts

Be careful with your wording. Some folks are ashamed to be called bartenders, so they prefer the term "mixologist".

Old 05-14-2024, 04:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
Be careful with your wording. Some folks are ashamed to be called bartenders, so they prefer the term "mixologist".
I prefer my bartenders to be humble.

But if they are creating original cocktails I will call them mixologist.

Old 05-14-2024, 05:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,222 Times in 5,422 Posts

Like marquaritas at Mexican restaurants but lately finish one and not ready to drive home so having to stop

Old 05-14-2024, 05:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Like marquaritas at Mexican restaurants but lately finish one and not ready to drive home so having to stop
Another drink so often messed up by bartenders. So simple, 3 ingredients. Tequila, orange liqueur (Cointreau, Grand Marnier, or any good curaçao or triple sec, and lime juice. But so many ruin it with sour mix.

Old 05-14-2024, 05:50 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
LOL I know. During Covid I built a bar in my basement. I had nothing to do but learn about classic cocktails and newer cocktails. I learned too much.

The Villages Florida
Why not?
Dont tell me it's in the deed restrictions!

Old 05-14-2024, 06:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Why not?
More than likely space. But I will have an outdoor bar area eventually.

Old 05-14-2024, 07:07 PM
Veteran member

I wish there was a great cocktail place here. They did just open a Speakeasy in downtown Leesburg. They hired the mixologist from Miami. I’m not sure where it is exactly but it’s attached to a pizza place. If you kind of like Blue Fin and Harvest then try Prima across from Harvest too.

Old 05-14-2024, 07:58 PM
Gold member

Quote:

The Villages Florida
Why not?

Old 05-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Why not?
I’m having deja vu.

Old 05-14-2024, 09:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,222 Times in 5,422 Posts

Quote:
Another drink so often messed up by bartenders. So simple, 3 ingredients. Tequila, orange liqueur (Cointreau, Grand Marnier, or any good curaçao or triple sec, and lime juice. But so many ruin it with sour mix.
I do notice that sometimes not enough lime juice

Old 05-15-2024, 04:56 AM

Quote:
I mean, the best bartenders, and the best ingredients. I mean quality bourbons with demerara syrup, luxardo cherries, and good bitters. I mean they don't stock sour mix at all. I mean places that use lime juice and simple and don't stock Rose's sweetened lime.

I mean a place that if I ask for a classic daiquiri they won't look for strawberries and slush. A place that if I order a gimlet they will ask gin or vodka and what brand I prefer.

Maybe a place that asks if I want my old fashioned muddled or just stirred. A place that knows to never shake a martini unless a spy from Britain enters.

A place the dry shakes a drink with egg whites before the ice is added for shaking.

Now, for the posts about to come... I know not to drink and drive. I know I drink too much. I know all about that stuff. I'm not looking for happy hours. I'm looking for quality. Bartenders that have come up with their own cocktails that make sense based on ingredients.

Okay, so I did get all of the above at Harvest from a couple of bartenders. So far that is my favorite for drinks, but the food, while okay, not my favorite.

I've had good luck and bad luck at Bluefin. Once they used Rose's Sweetened Lime in my gimlet. I guess I can't fault them since classically it's made with lime cordial. But since's Rose's is crap it's better to have lime juice and simple syrup.

Oh and I'm actually okay with bottled lime juice or lemon juice. I'm not a drink snob after all.
Your looking for hand crafted cocktails don’t think you will find anything handcrafted in The Villages , unfortunately. Well, maybe Anglers club!
Which proves the folks that run Havana, Lopez and a few other restaurants ,ran by same folks, are capable but lacking the desire for quality.

Old 05-15-2024, 05:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

You left off you want it for $5 and only drink during happy hour. Most bars can give you what you want just ask and pay. Places that charge $11 to $15 in the Villages are closed.

Tags
place, lime, bartenders, roses, juice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.