Plotted where Villages sinkholes have occurred

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Old 01-14-2022, 05:13 PM
Veteran member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeM View Post
We are visiting soon and looking to buy so I wondered about the sinkhole issue. This is very helpful. Thank you.

Don't become paranoid about it, but DO a LOT of homework. Florida government website also keep maps with good stats, and you definitely want to make sure you talk in person with the insurance agency you are going to use and make SURE you understand the differences in the coverage and especially the "TERMS" used in the language ! ! HOME WORK PAYS
Old 04-20-2022, 07:46 PM
Default detecting sinkholes

Thanks for the link on the geology paper for central FL In some cases it is possible to detect sinkholes using geophysical methods. One is ground penetrating radar(GPR). The depth of detection is inversely proportional to the frequency. But the resolution is lower for lower frequencies. So using higher frequencies gives more detail but won't detect as deep. Ground penetrating radar devices are very expensive. There are companies out there that can do a study of your property. You can easily find them with a search engine. I would put one here, but someone might think that I am promoting it and have an interest in their business.

If you are an electronics enthusiast I saw some plans on how to build one, but I am not sure of its performance, and so far I haven't found a link for the source code.

You could use statistics to formally look for a correlation between elevation and sinkholes. Those with lower elevation though are also closer to layers where the FL aquifer is, and where conduits and caves would form. So GPR would not have as far to go to reach that layer. Clay soils and moisture greatly affect GPR by reducing the range of the signal. Under those conditions you may not get the detection depth that you want.

Tags
elevation, villages, occurred, sinkholes, dot, yellow, put, past, areas, feet, plotted, google, chart, website, location, date, portions, higher, post, lowest, add, locations, occurring, sinkhole, btw

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.