Plotted where Villages sinkholes have occurred

Plotted where Villages sinkholes have occurred

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 06-16-2015, 01:43 PM
Email Reported As Spam

To me, predicting sinkholes is like predicting 100 year floods.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:04 PM
Sage

Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.

Thanks Frogger.................I enjoyed the information.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2015, 02:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerFrog58 View Post
I have been a resident of the Villages for only a few years. Using the news releases and postings on this website, I got the elevation chart from the Sumter county website and overlayed (using google maps) the roads of the villages. From that, I put a yellow dot where I have record of past sinkholes; whether big ones or little ones. Using Google earth (which has plotted every road in the Villages) and the elevation they provide, I put the elevation of that area by the yellow dot. Disregarding two areas where sinkholes occurred because of retention pond lining issues, I have 8 others as shown. What I found (though absolutely unscientific) is that of the 8 that I know of, were all below 84 feet in elevation, with the lowest being at 63 ft. There are portions of the Villages where the elevation is much higher... all the way up to 140 feet. No sinkholes have occurred in those areas. So.. I'm thinking that the more elevation / ground you have under you, the lesser the probability of a sinkhole occurring. Anyhow, I'm just sharing for those that may be interested. And BTW, if I am missing any locations from the past, just post it's location and date and I will add to the chart.
Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to do this. More importantly, thanks for sharing it. We looked at one the new houses that had a repaired sinkhole. Our villages agent informed us about it and we moved on.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:05 PM

Default Plotted where Villages sinkholes have occurred

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerFrog58 View Post
I have been a resident of the Villages for only a few years. Using the news releases and postings on this website, I got the elevation chart from the Sumter county website and overlayed (using google maps) the roads of the villages. From that, I put a yellow dot where I have record of past sinkholes; whether big ones or little ones. Using Google earth (which has plotted every road in the Villages) and the elevation they provide, I put the elevation of that area by the yellow dot. Disregarding two areas where sinkholes occurred because of retention pond lining issues, I have 8 others as shown. What I found (though absolutely unscientific) is that of the 8 that I know of, were all below 84 feet in elevation, with the lowest being at 63 ft. There are portions of the Villages where the elevation is much higher... all the way up to 140 feet. No sinkholes have occurred in those areas. So.. I'm thinking that the more elevation / ground you have under you, the lesser the probability of a sinkhole occurring. Anyhow, I'm just sharing for those that may be interested. And BTW, if I am missing any locations from the past, just post it's location and date and I will add to the chart.
Thank you for this info. Unfortunately, I could not read the research as nothing happened when I clicked on it. Please tell me how I can determine the elevation of a property in which I am interested in buying. Do the sales reps have info regarding that question?
Old 06-16-2015, 04:41 PM
Sage

Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle

I would like an experenced Geologist give us his/her take on if there is any correlation between sinkholes and elevation level of your property. I am skeptical.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:16 PM

UGH.......We are only 80 - 90 feet!
Old 06-16-2015, 10:22 PM
Sage

Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.

The OP is sharing his/her analysis given some maps and info......not as an expert, just some info......a grain of salt. I enjoyed the info, but not in the panic mode
Old 06-17-2015, 04:50 AM

That was a lot of work OP.. thank you for sharing! I have a question.. what if I take my morning coffee outside right now, walk around my house and find a sink hole.. who should I call? I do know who to call in most situations, this one.. I would have no clue.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Tracy View Post
That was a lot of work OP.. thank you for sharing! I have a question.. what if I take my morning coffee outside right now, walk around my house and find a sink hole.. who should I call? I do know who to call in most situations, this one.. I would have no clue.
First, I would get my cat out of the house.
Make calls in this order:
Insurance agent
My attorney
My husband is an adult. He is on his own.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:02 AM
Sage

I think that the current elevation is not as important as the difference between the elevation of the unimproved land vs. the current elevation. How close did they scrape to the bedrock. The presence of more dirt above the bedrock will more evenly distribute any weight placed on the surface. Look up "angle of repose".

Tags
elevation, villages, occurred, sinkholes, dot, yellow, put, past, areas, feet, plotted, google, chart, website, location, date, portions, higher, post, lowest, add, locations, occurring, sinkhole, btw