Poisons and Toxins .....all over the place

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2024, 04:39 PM

I don't think it is possible to live in Florida, or the South, without using treatments of some kind or another. There is, of course, a natural way of keeping bugs out of your home and yard and that means you have snakes and spiders. I am very aware of the chemicals and I am also very wary of snakes and spiders, so I take the easy way out and have my property treated and hope like hell that I am too tough to succumb to some dreadful sickness in my dotage. However, I have watched the begging infomercials from the children's hospitals and have thought that there are so many young children with cancer and you name it.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDog View Post
Massive reading comprehension fail. That occurs too often on these threads and I don't get why. Some people aren't very clear in their writing but, I go out of my way to be exceedingly so. And I have been here.

The percentage of uninformed, in-denial and, frankly, selfish types is very unfortunate. All about Old #1. Some things never change.
Well you are entitled to your opinion, just as the rest of us are.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,575 Times in 3,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
I don't think it is possible to live in Florida, or the South, without using treatments of some kind or another. There is, of course, a natural way of keeping bugs out of your home and yard and that means you have snakes and spiders. I am very aware of the chemicals and I am also very wary of snakes and spiders, so I take the easy way out and have my property treated and hope like hell that I am too tough to succumb to some dreadful sickness in my dotage. However, I have watched the begging infomercials from the children's hospitals and have thought that there are so many young children with cancer and you name it.
So - the insecticide doesn't prevent insects from being there. It just kills them after the fact. So you have some dead insects. Easy pickings for spiders, which now are poisoned by the poisoned dead insects. Snakes don't eat insects, or spiders. But they do eat mice and other rodents, birds, occasionally lizards, and they consider turtle eggs a delicacy. Many of THOSE things will eat dead insects. And then THEY will be poisoned by those poisoned dead insects. And then the snakes will be poisoned by the poisoned dead rodents, birds, and tainted eggs. And then the birds of prey and carrion birds such as hawks and vultures will eat those snakes, and become poisoned. And then - and then - and then - until the food chain has to rely on Monsanto to fix all the problems that they caused by poisoning the food chain.

We can't prevent it without going back to the 1700's, and devolution is bad (contrary to popular belief). But we can each play some small part in delaying the inevitable conclusion. Weeding your garden by hand is one small thing many people can do. Learning to live with snakes and spiders in your own garden is another small thing many people can do. Planting flowers and herbs that attract pollinators is another small thing many people can do. Using natural fertilizer is another thing. Finding some organic food that you enjoy, and supporting that instead of supporting mega-farms that thrive on chemicals is another thing. Buying eggs from local small farmers instead of egg factories that torture their chickens is another thing.

If everyone picked one thing they could improve on, it'd make a big impact.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Not saying I totally disagree but Attorneys might dispute this.......

Roundup Settlement: 2024 Roundup Weed Killer Settlement Updates
Attorneys would sue wooden Indian if they thought they could get wooden nickel.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 04-28-2024 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,482 Posts

Some people should have stayed in apartments. Can’t handle owning property.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:02 PM
Thanked 1,137 Times in 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Cascade View Post
So many times I read how residents just spray, pour, paint, spread glyphosate, roundup, and other horrible stuff all over the place. And then our animals walk over the walkways/grass and carry it into our homes on their paws, onto the furniture and beds....... Then they lick their paws to clean them. Does anyone think about alternatives? No wonder there is so much cancer, allergies, stiffness, etc. Anyone have better options for lawn care, cleaning, etc.? Thanks.
Better living through chemicals is my motto!
Old 04-28-2024, 11:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,795 Times in 1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
May want to stay out of my lawn then. It’s loaded with all kinds of things. But then I’m sure you aren’t one of the rude ones who lets their dog into my corner lot. Respect my hard work on the lawn and your animal has no problems. I do spray all the way up to the curb too.
Same here. Gotta keep my weeds green. The grass never had a chance.
Old 04-29-2024, 04:29 AM

Quote:
So many times I read how residents just spray, pour, paint, spread glyphosate, roundup, and other horrible stuff all over the place. And then our animals walk over the walkways/grass and carry it into our homes on their paws, onto the furniture and beds....... Then they lick their paws to clean them. Does anyone think about alternatives? No wonder there is so much cancer, allergies, stiffness, etc. Anyone have better options for lawn care, cleaning, etc.? Thanks.
There are natural lawn care options but I can't tell you from recent experience how they work. I can tell you about 15 years ago we used a non toxic bug spray on our yard that smelled like cloves. It worked for a while. We had dogs at the time. The yard smelled so good afterward. But then it wasn't working as well. Maybe now there are better or improved options, I'm not sure. For weeds some people use vinegar but it can kill other plants and grass if sprayed on them.

There are many natural cleaners today. I like Mrs. Meyers cleaning products. They are available at Walmart. I've used their laundry detergent and household cleaner. Both smell so good. Try Amazon, or a google search for other natural and organic cleaners. Some people use vinegar for cleaning. I use alcohol or peroxide to clean mirrors. Peroxide in sink areas and fixtures in the bathroom. But be careful with peroxide, read up on it. I do use bleach but not as heavily as I used to.

Houseplants help clean the air in your home, as would an air filter.

I know this doesn't change the world, but it can help your little corner a bit.

EDIT: I get everything on-line. I don't know if Walmart has Mrs. Meyers products in store or only on-line.
Old 04-29-2024, 04:31 AM

We're all going to die, chicken little.
Please be aware, these chemicals have been specifically reviewed by the EPA, in context of tests relevant to carcinogenesis, birth defects etc. etc. etc.
Part of the Villages appeal is the presentation - trees/flowers/lawns - and this is maintained by both labor and chemicals. If you're so worried, you should not be in the Villages..
Old 04-29-2024, 05:09 AM

In walking my dog, I have noted quite a few dead baby snakes lying along the curb. No apparent injuries. I can only surmise that the amount of pesticides we put on our lawns (myself included) plays a part. Biomagnification in action.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:19 AM

I never use those toxins, they are overkill. Use garden grade (30%) vinegar, available at Home Depot, and if not on store shelves, by special order arriving within a few days. Thanks for bringing this up!
Old 04-29-2024, 05:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
May want to stay out of my lawn then. It’s loaded with all kinds of things. But then I’m sure you aren’t one of the rude ones who lets their dog into my corner lot. Respect my hard work on the lawn and your animal has no problems. I do spray all the way up to the curb too.
Thank goodness you’re one who takes care of their corner lot. Most in my neighborhood could use some dog poop to hide all the weeds the corner owners don’t seem to care about. Also, thankfully my neighborhood picks up after their dogs and everyone knows everyone! I also like butterflies so I’d never use that horrific cancer killer roundup.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:26 AM

Perhaps walking your pet in YOUR OWN PRISTINE YARD , might be a somewhat a solution. Looking from an another point of view,
Old 04-29-2024, 05:29 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,567 Times in 600 Posts

Quote:
Stay off other peoples property. Don’t let your animals in your home until you scrub them down. Easy peasy. lol.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,002 Times in 4,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Saran Wrap party? Violates the Loufer Code in deed restrictions!
I don't see where it is excluded
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	the-villages-loofa-color-guide-v0-pzc9wk2skkw91.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	103896  
Closed Thread

Tags
paws, place, poisons, clean, alternatives

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.