Poisons and Toxins .....all over the place

Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2024, 07:51 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri View Post
When I moved here in January of 2023 I was told I absolutely had to have a pest control company for inside my home and outside or I’d be overrun with various insects. I was also told I needed to hire a company to fertilize my lawn and spray for weeds and insects. Coming from CT, I had no experience or knowledge but I knew one thing for certain… I’m not spraying chemicals inside or outside my home if I can avoid it! So what did I do? I spoke with Master Gardeners from the University of Florida and attended the classes they offer locally. I found a very knowledgeable woman named Lisa Sanderson and she has graciously guided me over the past year. Has it been challenging? Absolutely! Has it been time consuming? Most definitely! However, my lawn looks amazing and I’ve successfully dealt with a few nests of Palmetto bugs (which I absolutely despise), sugar ants and aphids. Diatomaceous earth, Borax and powdered sugar work wonders and are non-toxic. I also ordered traps from Amazon that helped as well. I planted numerous pollinator plants in my gardens to help support the bees, butterfly’s etc. My lawn and gardens are flourishing and I’m incredibly happy to be successful when I was repeatedly told it couldn’t be done.
What is your recommendation for controlling Dollarweed in your lawn?
Old 04-29-2024, 08:34 AM
Veteran member

Chemicals aren't "evil". They just need to be used responsibly.
IMHO, life causes death. Can't have one without the other. How long we live depends on how well we navigate through our life by the choices we do or don't make, and of course our genetic makeup.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:46 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGuyNJ View Post
I hear all this stuff about The Villages being a "Dog friendly Community". Boy oh boy, reading things here I can see that is definitely not the case. I see a few dogs here and there but not a huge population by any means. I guess when you want to exercise a dog you carry them to your car, drive 37.2 miles away to a rare area with 0 population, let them get their exercise then return.
I don’t read it that way at all. It’s responsible vs irresponsible....respect vs disrespect.....my lawn is your (dogs) lawn. There are plenty of dog parks and ‘amenities’ for your fur baby....if they don’t meet your criteria, enjoy the road trip.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Proof that not everyone is self centered and rude. I put around 75 dollars a month just in chemicals and treatments on our lawn. It looks good for a reason. It sure as heck isn’t for a doggy toilet.
Make sure that the rats, squirrels, birds, bobcats, racoons etc get notified because they are happily pooping and peeing on your lawn every day.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,692 Times in 3,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri View Post
When I moved here in January of 2023 I was told I absolutely had to have a pest control company for inside my home and outside or I’d be overrun with various insects. I was also told I needed to hire a company to fertilize my lawn and spray for weeds and insects. Coming from CT, I had no experience or knowledge but I knew one thing for certain… I’m not spraying chemicals inside or outside my home if I can avoid it! So what did I do? I spoke with Master Gardeners from the University of Florida and attended the classes they offer locally. I found a very knowledgeable woman named Lisa Sanderson and she has graciously guided me over the past year. Has it been challenging? Absolutely! Has it been time consuming? Most definitely! However, my lawn looks amazing and I’ve successfully dealt with a few nests of Palmetto bugs (which I absolutely despise), sugar ants and aphids. Diatomaceous earth, Borax and powdered sugar work wonders and are non-toxic. I also ordered traps from Amazon that helped as well. I planted numerous pollinator plants in my gardens to help support the bees, butterfly’s etc. My lawn and gardens are flourishing and I’m incredibly happy to be successful when I was repeatedly told it couldn’t be done.
I keep a bag of diatomaceous earth on the lanai for those rare bursts of "crazy ant" activity in the house. The best thing about it, is it doesn't ever expire. It's basically inert clay powder. It's also good for the soil, if you have significant fire ant hills. Just dump a teaspoon's worth into the hole in the hill, and sprinkle another tablespoon around the hill. The ants dehydrate and die, their exoskeletons fertilize the area, and the clay restores the soil balance, all of which allows the grass to return to the previously-stripped hill.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:56 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
I agree, too many chemicals are used for stupid lawns. I read that article yesterday and thought about all the animals that eat grass, and walk on it, like Gopher Tortoises. It's sad that so many here thought attacking the OP was the way to go. The poisons go into lakes and waterways. Forget snakes, coyotes, gators....humans are the deadliest animal in Florida.
Just for comparison, how long have ‘snakes, coyotes, gators’ been on our planet.....and they have the ‘We’re still here’ t shirts to prove it. Only dinosaurs have suffered that distinction or extinction. Humanity and the animals that surround it always figure it out....and coexist!
Old 04-29-2024, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,692 Times in 3,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
What is your recommendation for controlling Dollarweed in your lawn?
Don't control it. You could, instead, do two possible things:

1. You can mow it along with the rest of the "crap they pretend is grass and call a lawn" here in Florida. From a distance, no one will know the difference. It's the same color green as St. Augustine.

2. Go 100% organic, with zero pesticides on your lawn, and then harvest the dollarweed (also known as pennywort). You can stir-fry it with shallots and add to a savory dish, or even nibble on it raw. It's been used for centuries to lower blood pressure, and has a slightly bitter, spicy flavor to it. Leaf and stem, 100% edible. UNLESS you use pesticides.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:07 AM
Gold member

Can’t wait for the chlorinated vs salt water pool threads. Just want to cross reference and take attendance! Smh
Old 04-29-2024, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Just for comparison, how long have ‘snakes, coyotes, gators’ been on our planet.....and they have the ‘We’re still here’ t shirts to prove it. Only dinosaurs have suffered that distinction or extinction. Humanity and the animals that surround it always figure it out....and coexist!
Yes, humanity and animals just "figure it out". Tell that to the many millions of each group who have died from the naivete and ignorance of the public and the unbridled greed of multinational corporations who don't give a flip about poisoning.

Do some reading: Silent Spring - Wikipedia

As a vivid illustration of those points ^^, enjoy these charming retro images: https://www.reddit.com/r/70s/comment...uito_truck_in/
Old 04-29-2024, 09:41 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Don't control it. You could, instead, do two possible things:

1. You can mow it along with the rest of the "crap they pretend is grass and call a lawn" here in Florida. From a distance, no one will know the difference. It's the same color green as St. Augustine.

2. Go 100% organic, with zero pesticides on your lawn, and then harvest the dollarweed (also known as pennywort). You can stir-fry it with shallots and add to a savory dish, or even nibble on it raw. It's been used for centuries to lower blood pressure, and has a slightly bitter, spicy flavor to it. Leaf and stem, 100% edible. UNLESS you use pesticides.
Are grubs also edible?
Old 04-29-2024, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Cascade View Post
So many times I read how residents just spray, pour, paint, spread glyphosate, roundup, and other horrible stuff all over the place. And then our animals walk over the walkways/grass and carry it into our homes on their paws, onto the furniture and beds....... Then they lick their paws to clean them. Does anyone think about alternatives? No wonder there is so much cancer, allergies, stiffness, etc. Anyone have better options for lawn care, cleaning, etc.? Thanks.
We spray our weeds with commercial grade vinegar from Lowe’s or Amazon. Works especially well in rock beds , patio, driveway. Just be careful not to spray on a windy day as it will kill or damage whatever it touches. NO MORE ROUNDUP!!!
Old 04-29-2024, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,984 Times in 1,131 Posts

Quote:
Are grubs also edible?
they sure are ,you would no that if you ever went to Ranger School LOL
Old 04-29-2024, 10:03 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
they sure are ,you would no that if you ever went to Ranger School LOL
Also raw rabbit eye balls are good protein.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:07 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Also raw rabbit eye balls are good protein.
PETA alert!
Can someone let J Lo know her mittens are ready!*

*paraphrasing an old comedian Nick Dipaolo joke
Old 04-29-2024, 10:11 AM
Default Glyphosate Possibly cancerous

The topic of glyphosate and its potential link to cancer has been a subject of extensive research and debate. Here’s a summary of the evidence and positions from various health agencies:
Studies and Legal Challenges: Glyphosate, an active ingredient in many herbicides, has been the subject of many studies and legal challenges regarding its potential to cause cancer, specifically non-Hodgkin lymphoma1.
Conflicting Research: While some studies, like one from the University of Washington in 2019, suggest that using glyphosate increases the risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma by 41%2, the majority of research worldwide has found no connection between glyphosate and cancer risk.
Health Agencies’ Stance:
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) states there is "no evidence that glyphosate causes cancer in humans"1.
Health Canada reports that glyphosate does not cause damage to human DNA1.
The European Food Safety Authority did not identify any critical areas of concern regarding glyphosate1.
The Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicine Authority considers glyphosate products safe when label instructions are followed1.
However, the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classified glyphosate as “probably carcinogenic to humans” in 20151.
Recent Findings: A study published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute found that high levels of glyphosate in urine were associated with signs of oxidative stress, a condition that can cause damage to DNA and is considered a key characteristic of carcinogens3.
It’s important to note that the research is ongoing, and while there are studies that suggest a potential link, the consensus among most health agencies is that there is no definitive evidence that glyphosate causes cancer. The debate continues as new research emerges.

Last edited by Sudbrink; 04-29-2024 at 10:12 AM. Reason: More information
Closed Thread

Tags
paws, place, poisons, clean, alternatives

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.