Police at gates

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2015, 07:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovey2 View Post
So, I have a question? Is soliciting door to door allowed to happen here? I stopped a TruGreen solicitor today, walking in our neighborhood, door to door, and texting on his phone. While it seemed harmless enough, I asked him for a card, he had "just given his last one out", but he was wearing a TRuGreen shirt and did have the clipboard thing they all carry with bids and pamphlets etc. inside it. He was willing enough to show me that. I told him quite frankly I was keeping an eye on him because we have had several break-ins therefore everyone is suspect. He claims he's had the sheriff called on him a number of times and they know him, but I am just curious to know if there is, in fact, something saying soliciting is not acceptable in our neighborhoods. I've heard it often, but can't pin down the validity of that statement. I'm asking because in the future I will call Community Watch if this is true and have them approach the solicitor.
Thank-you for getting involved. You're a good person. You sent a message.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:55 PM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove
Default Good Job!

Quote:
So, I have a question? Is soliciting door to door allowed to happen here? I stopped a TruGreen solicitor today, walking in our neighborhood, door to door, and texting on his phone. While it seemed harmless enough, I asked him for a card, he had "just given his last one out", but he was wearing a TRuGreen shirt and did have the clipboard thing they all carry with bids and pamphlets etc. inside it. He was willing enough to show me that. I told him quite frankly I was keeping an eye on him because we have had several break-ins therefore everyone is suspect. He claims he's had the sheriff called on him a number of times and they know him, but I am just curious to know if there is, in fact, something saying soliciting is not acceptable in our neighborhoods. I've heard it often, but can't pin down the validity of that statement. I'm asking because in the future I will call Community Watch if this is true and have them approach the solicitor.

I called on a shady guy with a clipboard that was opening gates in the CYV. He said he was with Centurylink & was checking to see who had what cable. I used my iPhone as he walked up the street, clipboard in hand, to film him, then called Community Watch & the Sheriffs Dept. CW showed up just as he was getting back in his vehicle which was backed into a dead end next to the wall. CW could do nothing so I took his tag number & then 3 Sheriffs cars showed up.

We checked all the nearby houses and all were OK. This was last summer before the recent rash of break-ins, but my point is, call on them- it may be a solicitor which should be "discouraged" or worse, someone casing the properties. Sooner or later if we stay involved & vigilant, this can be solved.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:26 PM
Gold member

Coming from Maine I'm amazed by the amount of violent crime there is in Florida once you get outside The Villages. We live in a community of over 100,000 people with an average income well above outside area. What did that bank robber say about banks? While many that live here are trying to figure out how to pay at Starbucks with an Iphone there are a lot people out there trying to steal that Iphone. The community is going to have to figure out how to firm up the "limit access" we have here. Technology is the answer, starting at gates, we can't hire enough police.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:28 PM
Veteran member

Thank you, tomwed, and good for you Susan G. We cannot let these low lifes make us afraid to leave or be in our own homes. We NEED to keep an eye out for unknowns in our neighborhood's and yes, call them on their presence there. Of course, NEVER put yourself in an unsafe situation, but keep your eyes open. We need to all leave our homes with a few minutes to spare when we go out and take a quick drive down a neighboring street, and drive a little more slowly so we can really see what's out there. If you are hesitant to approach anyone, pick up your phone and call the sheriff's office. Don't be afraid to be wrong...be afraid you may be right, and didn't do anything.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:45 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I am just curious to know if there is, in fact, something saying soliciting is not acceptable in our neighborhoods. I've heard it often, but can't pin down the validity of that statement. I'm asking because in the future I will call Community Watch if this is true and have them approach the solicitor.
There are signs mounted at our entrance gate that says soliciting is prohibited.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I am extremely directionally challenged but I don't think the majority of these robberies (or burglaries) were south of 466A.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

We notice an unmarked white van in the area acting strange, I took pictures, the neighbor called police. They were there in a few minutes. I had spotted the van stopped a couple hundred yards away, and directed the police to its location. saw the van there later with workers working at the house, apparently these were legit.
It pays to check.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
We notice an unmarked white van in the area acting strange, I took pictures, the neighbor called police. They were there in a few minutes. I had spotted the van stopped a couple hundred yards away, and directed the police to its location. saw the van there later with workers working at the house, apparently these were legit.
It pays to check.
Thank-you for getting involved. I see that a lot around here and it feels pretty good.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:31 PM

If the person is home it becomes... Home invasion a more serious charge
Old 02-25-2015, 09:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooper View Post
There are signs mounted at our entrance gate that says soliciting is prohibited.
Thanks....I never saw them.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
It pays to check.
Very good!! Eventually we will get the message out that we are paying attention.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:05 PM

For those who are not that familiar with the Central Florida demographics around us, you may want to google crime rates "Leesburg", "Wildwood", "Fruitland Park", "Summerfield", "Lady Lake". There was no problem with break-ins around the Lake Sumter Landing residential areas when constructed. Brownwood / the new section borders along Leesburg...................
Old 02-25-2015, 10:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrich61 View Post
For those who are not that familiar with the Central Florida demographics around us, you may want to google crime rates "Leesburg", "Wildwood", "Fruitland Park", "Summerfield", "Lady Lake". There was no problem with break-ins around the Lake Sumter Landing residential areas when constructed. Brownwood / the new section borders along Leesburg...................
And?
Old 02-25-2015, 10:29 PM

What is the percentage of people who have a security system?
Old 02-25-2015, 10:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCV2015 View Post
What is the percentage of people who have a security system?
How would anyone know?
Email everyone and let us know the results.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.