Pool or No Pool...Design Appt Fast Approaching

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Sage

Sorry, what I was trying to say is if you spend 75K during the build and 25K as an addon based on construction cost the tax should be lower.

I would also guess that additional tax won't kick in until the following year.

But then again the taxes R so low not a big deal especially if U take the 50K homestead exemption.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Sage

The homestead exemption is only $500.
BTW: I was trying to say, not successfully, that you cannot escape the tax issue entirely. You will have to pay something. Wow!!! Do you think you can build the $75 pool for $25? I am in awe.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Sage

Try 12K, with pergola
Old 02-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Eternal Member

We had ours built right after we closed. It was cheaper.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Sage

You are building a pool with birdcage for $12,000????? How big is the pool? I am having a heart attack.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Sage

10x20 or 8x18, excluding the spa which I already have
Old 02-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Sage

Last edited by shcisamax; 02-11-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Angie, your welcome. I found my spread sheet with the annual cost. These are the average for 4 years with our rental home average costs deducted from each cost to try to get close to what was the incremental cost for the pool. Example, if our electric bill is $140 and rental home is $90, I attribute $50 that month for the pool.

T&D weekly maintenance $1170 a year
Electric difference due to pool pump, $325 for the year.
Gas for pool heater. Dec, Jan and Feb mostly. $875 for the year, but I keep mine pretty warm in the winter.
Water as you need to add a lot every week, $225 for the year
Maintenance, pool pump big expense (two in 4 years, first one was $300, second 3 years later was $1500 do to federal variable speed motor requirement), deck painting, new pool light, heater service call, one solar leak, and probably something I missed. $1275

Total average for 4 years. $3870. I stll budget the $5000 as I am sure at some point there will be another unexpected high cost item.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:59 AM

Jimbo,

Do you have any fiberglass pool contractors that you have heard good things about? We would love to set up a consultation to meet with some pool contractors (other than T & D, since I am guessing they won't even speak the word 'fiberglass'!) when we are out there for our design appt. You can PM me if you don't want to post them on TOTV.

Also...thanks for the info on the property taxes. I know that the government will still get the tax money, but I was assuming that since the pool contractor turns in the construction amount, that something would be saved by not going through T & D during the building time, AND having the full amount go onto my purchase contract (which in turn, goes directly to the County Tax Assessor's office).

Wish I could see that masterpiece on Dafoe.... Sounds like a beauty!!

Thanks again!! You've given me new hope that I might be able to have a pool and not deplete my savings to do so

Angie
Old 02-11-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Angie, your welcome. I found my spread sheet with the annual cost. These are the average for 4 years with our rental home average costs deducted from each cost to try to get close to what was the incremental cost for the pool. Example, if our electric bill is $140 and rental home is $90, I attribute $50 that month for the pool.

T&D weekly maintenance $1170 a year
Electric difference due to pool pump, $325 for the year.
Gas for pool heater. Dec, Jan and Feb mostly. $875 for the year, but I keep mine pretty warm in the winter.
Water as you need to add a lot every week, $225 for the year
Maintenance, pool pump big expense (two in 4 years, first one was $300, second 3 years later was $1500 do to federal variable speed motor requirement), deck painting, new pool light, heater service call, one solar leak, and probably something I missed. $1275

Total average for 4 years. $3870. I stll budget the $5000 as I am sure at some point there will be another unexpected high cost item.
Thank you, AGAIN!! You are so helpful! In addition to me and my parents who are building homes in The Villages, some other friends of ours (also growing weary of CA and need to move out to somewhere that makes more sense!) are seriously wanting to know the pros and cons of a pool.... Your info will really help them.

I hope to be able to pay back the favor, one day!

Angie
Old 02-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Location: Village of St. Charles,Binghamton, Conklin, Syracuse, and Tully, NY
Default Pool

T&D did a fiberglass pool for my friends, after construction of the house-no problem. That was 3 years ago.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylecroix View Post
T&D did a fiberglass pool for my friends, after construction of the house-no problem. That was 3 years ago.
That's great news! I will definitely speak with T & D and see what they have to say about a fiberglass pool...

Also....official stupid question for the day... With a fiberglass pool, can you also have a spa? I am assuming YES, but just wanted to get my dumb questions out of the way early on!

Thanks again!
Angie
Old 02-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Gold member

Home pools are not usually large enough to swim in. We decided to get an in ground spa since we will mostly just enjoy the water and jets anyways. We can use the neighborhood pool for swiming. Just about anything you add to your home can be done less expensive after closing. The question is do you want to put up with the noise, dirt and annoyance. Building a pool after closing will surely destroy a lot of landscaping that will need to be repaired as well. I believe most people get pools for the look and feel of the home rather than usefulness for swimming. The comparison of cement and fiberglass is laid out well here:

Fiberglass vs Vinyl Pools, Fiberglass compared to Vinyl Pools
Old 02-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieT2 View Post
Jimbo,

Do you have any fiberglass pool contractors that you have heard good things about? We would love to set up a consultation to meet with some pool contractors (other than T & D, since I am guessing they won't even speak the word 'fiberglass'!)
Angie, t&d does in fact install glass, I will guess the highest cost, but get a bid.

they use the pools from Sun Pools in Brooksville, that's who's pool I'm buying direct.

Call them for a bid or get local installers from them to bid.

Try San Juan,

If you work one against the other you should get a fair price.

Now the guys that install the pool do not need to be the same as the deck or the bird cage, I get three separate sets of bids.

All Island is very anti glass, don't bother calling
Old 02-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Platinum member

When we decided to be here full time rather than go the two home route, I knew I wanted a pool. It's wonderful in the summer - so handy to dip in and cool off. Love it in the evenings - after dark. We also have pool parties. Like the look. I don't use it in the winter so have no external heating source. We do have solar panels that work well in the shoulder season. Would definitely do it again.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.