Post Office petition

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Taltarzac
Default Re: Post Office petition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncle
I believe it is still on-going. Pettitions were circulated to all recognized clubs in TV and it'll take time to get them back. Don't know about the rest of the place, but the turnout at the postal stations in Region 5 was pretty good.

Bonnybrook - 134
Ashland - 214
Belvedere - 288
Lynnhaven - 255
Bridgeport - 107
Winifred - 381
Sunset Pointe - 250
Poinciana - 274
Liberty Park - 340

I suppose we will be hearing more about overall response soon.
I have heard that Winifred is the largest Village as far as number of homes goes? 2243 votes for Region 5. Like that number for some reason. :joke: :bigthumbsup:
Old 02-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Gold member

All things considered regarding a Village Post Office, and where to centrally locate it, I'd rather see 50 mail trucks or whatever would be needed, delivering mail to boxes at end of our driveways, just as they do for homes along CR 466, Lady Lake, Stonecrest and Spruce Creek.

Image how that would cut down on traffic, pollution, vehicle accidents and fuel consumption. 50 Mail trucks, vs, 20000 cars, bikes, scooters, golf carts going to and from neighborhood mail stops 6 times each week, 52 weeks a year. I'm sure Al Gore would approve.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:05 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704
All things considered regarding a Village Post Office, and where to centrally locate it, I'd rather see 50 mail trucks or whatever would be needed, delivering mail to boxes at end of our driveways, just as they do for homes along CR 466, Lady Lake, Stonecrest and Spruce Creek.

Image how that would cut down on traffic, pollution, vehicle accidents and fuel consumption. 50 Mail trucks, vs, 20000 cars, bikes, scooters, golf carts going to and from neighborhood mail stops 6 times each week, 52 weeks a year. I'm sure Al Gore would approve.
Hey, getting out and going to the postal station is the only way some of us old farts ever leave home. And it's the only time we talk to real people.

Otherwise, we stay in dark rooms pounding on computer keys.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 02-21-2008, 02:42 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncle
Hey, getting out and going to the postal station is the only way some of us old farts ever leave home. And it's the only time we talk to real people.

Otherwise, we stay in dark rooms pounding on computer keys.

:hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:
040 040 040 :beer2: :beer2: :beer2:

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:05 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb1191
Okay, let's be a bit more serious about this proposal. Let's ignore the manpower costs that nobody's going to pay. We eliminate the postal stations and install a 8 unit mailbox on each block. Local delivery! Wonderful!

But the grandkids send you a package. You get a little yellow slip in the box and drive to Lady Lake :yikes: to pick it up --- only during open hours. Next day the books from Amazon come ~~ back to Lady Lake. :edit: Why not use the big mail boxes for packages . . . oh yeah, the postal station is gone. And no, they're not going to put big boxes in each of the mailbox units -- ain't gonna happen.

But you need to get some gas and maybe some groceries and possibly even a beer on the way to the Post Office in Lady Lake and you're broke. Run by the convenient ATM at the local postal ~ oops, the postal station's gone and so's the ATM. Well, they could put the ATM at the pool in the bldg there --- no, not so much. Postal stations are theoretically secure structures. Storage shacks aren't.

Maybe centralized delivery may not be the worst thing in the world.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 02-22-2008, 02:51 AM
Eternal Member

I don't want to sound like a grump BUT -

When you visited TV you knew that they had the mail pickup areas. You did not let that deter you from moving here. Why do you think that they would change the mail delivery system just because you decided to come here and not like it.

I am happy with it. Lots of people are happy with it. If you check, many of the other retirement villages everywhere have it and are happy with it.

If you have friends or neighbors that are not able to pick up their mail, volunteer to do it for them. I do. That is one more good deed to get you into the pearly gates or at least make you feel good about helping your fellow man.

Please quit complaining about something that is not going to change.

Sorry if I upset some of you but you are beating a dead horse. lovehorse

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Gold member

IMHO, the ONLY reason to have a post office within TV is for golf cart accessibility, and even this is questionable in light of what zcaveman wrote about volunteering to go to the post office for a friend/neighbor who may not be able to get there. With a degree of planning, trips to the post office are infrequent, and TV is surrounded by post offices in smaller and larger nearby communities. It is about the same distance for us to get to a post office outside TV as it is at home in upstate NY--and the service and friendliness are delightfully the same!
Old 02-25-2008, 04:00 AM

Driving 1/3 mile to the mail station is fine with me. You can drop your first class there and if you buy postage on line, Priority and Express Mail as well, except for heavy packages.

The Summerfield PO on 301 is just 10 minutes from the house and is a good excuse to "get off the reservation" for a few minutes. BTW, I find them the most user friendly PO of all three in the area. Always well staffed and any line moves very quickly.

Don't really see the need for another PO.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.