Powell Road

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-05-2015, 06:44 PM
kellyjam's Avatar
kellyjam kellyjam is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 473
Thanks: 10
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Powell Road

I saw a sign on Powell Road that says the Railroad Crossing will be closed from March 9th to March 16th which would in effect block access to 301. I don't know why they wouldn't wait untill 466A was finished before they did that.
__________________
The Bronx/Stamford CT/New City NY/Coral Springs FL/Hampton Bays L.I./Pinellas Island.
  #2  
Old 03-05-2015, 07:37 PM
villagetinker's Avatar
villagetinker villagetinker is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Village of Pinellas
Posts: 6,698
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,530 Times in 652 Posts
Default

KellyJam,

I agree 100%, however, I think I read that this was being done by the railroad, and they would not have any idea .......However, it would have been real nice if our elected officials would have put 2 & 2 together and realized that they just cutoff the DETOUR for 466a.
Don't get me started, I will leave it here.
__________________
Pennsylvania, for 60+ years, most recently, Allentown, now TV.
  #3  
Old 03-05-2015, 09:45 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is online now
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,953
Thanks: 368
Thanked 1,102 Times in 524 Posts
Default

Do you mean the RR crossing on 462, close to 301?
__________________
It's harder to hate close up.
  #4  
Old 03-06-2015, 03:00 AM
Bonanza's Avatar
Bonanza Bonanza is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,985
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
KellyJam,

I agree 100%, however, I think I read that this was being done by the railroad, and they would not have any idea .......However, it would have been real nice if our elected officials would have put 2 & 2 together and realized that they just cutoff the DETOUR for 466a.
Don't get me started, I will leave it here.
I won't get you started (but I would like to!). You are forgeting . . .

We're simply a development living in the middle of horse, cattle, goat, etc. area We live in the "country," if you will.
We don't have a mall or a Costco and we lack many quality things.
Most of our roads are narrow two lane (barely) and practically all are in poor condition.
We live in an area being run by the "good 'ole boys."

So why should we expect anything other than what it is and why should we expect anything different???
BTW, I happen to agree with you.
__________________
A Promise Made is a Debt Unpaid
~~ Robert W. Service ~~
  #5  
Old 03-06-2015, 05:58 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,395
Thanks: 4,181
Thanked 4,670 Times in 1,601 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I won't get you started (but I would like to!). You are forgeting . . .

We're simply a development living in the middle of horse, cattle, goat, etc. area We live in the "country," if you will.
We don't have a mall or a Costco and we lack many quality things.
Most of our roads are narrow two lane (barely) and practically all are in poor condition.
We live in an area being run by the "good 'ole boys."

So why should we expect anything other than what it is and why should we expect anything different???
BTW, I happen to agree with you.

Bonanza. We have so many wonderful things here. Malls aren't nice anymore. Sam's is good. Good ole boys? Every area is run by locals.

Living in the middle of where horses and cattle live is what our family has done for generations and it hasn't hurt us at all.

We have almost every store that we had in our suburb of Cincinnati.

It is all how anyone looks at things. This is a lovely place to live. Please don't be so unhappy. There are far fewer years in front of us than behind us.

If you are lucky enough to live in The Villages, you are lucky enough.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-06-2015 at 06:36 AM.
  #6  
Old 03-06-2015, 07:26 AM
dbussone's Avatar
dbussone dbussone is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,836
Thanks: 0
Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Do you mean the RR crossing on 462, close to 301?
Correct. They will be working on that crossing.
__________________
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill
  #7  
Old 03-06-2015, 08:29 AM
kittygilchrist's Avatar
kittygilchrist kittygilchrist is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gilchrist, from Gainesville
Posts: 5,826
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Instead of using 462, go south of 466a to Huey Street.
  #8  
Old 03-06-2015, 08:34 AM
bagboy bagboy is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,887
Thanks: 164
Thanked 641 Times in 222 Posts
Default

Could it possibly be that the closing isn't just for general maintenance but for a repair needed due to safety concerns?
  #9  
Old 03-06-2015, 09:16 AM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 15,271
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1,958 Times in 914 Posts
Default

/////
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain

Last edited by Bogie Shooter; 03-06-2015 at 09:27 AM. Reason: No one's business.
  #10  
Old 03-06-2015, 09:26 AM
villagetinker's Avatar
villagetinker villagetinker is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Village of Pinellas
Posts: 6,698
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,530 Times in 652 Posts
Default

ALL, if you are going to use Huey street, be aware of the schools and the speed limit (25 mph normally, 20 mph at posted times), and this road seems to be patrolled on a regular basis. This mornings Daily Sun had a short article about the work the railroad just completed on another crossing, similar to the work that will be done on 462. I am going to try avoiding going west for the entire week......
__________________
Pennsylvania, for 60+ years, most recently, Allentown, now TV.
  #11  
Old 03-06-2015, 10:26 AM
Justus Justus is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pinellas
Posts: 335
Thanks: 320
Thanked 148 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I won't get you started (but I would like to!). You are forgeting . . .

We're simply a development living in the middle of horse, cattle, goat, etc. area We live in the "country," if you will.
We don't have a mall or a Costco and we lack many quality things.
Most of our roads are narrow two lane (barely) and practically all are in poor condition.
We live in an area being run by the "good 'ole boys."

So why should we expect anything other than what it is and why should we expect anything different???
BTW, I happen to agree with you.
Yikes! That's a pretty damning view of what most of us believe to be the most beautiful place we've ever lived...and where those of us who consider it home would like to live out the rest of our lives. This paradise exists thanks to the commitment, hard work and sacrifices made by the "good ole boys" to whom you refer.

At the risk of sounding argumentative, those "good ole boys" have been working diligently to satisfy the desires, needs and demands of the rapidly-expanding population here, ergo: the road construction some consider an overwhelming inconvenience.

Don't be discouraged...this roadblock is temporary, unlike those in other parts of the country that seem to continue in perpetuity.
  #12  
Old 03-06-2015, 10:29 AM
villagerjack villagerjack is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,304
Thanks: 64
Thanked 105 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Bonanza. We have so many wonderful things here. Malls aren't nice anymore. Sam's is good. Good ole boys? Every area is run by locals.

Living in the middle of where horses and cattle live is what our family has done for generations and it hasn't hurt us at all.

We have almost every store that we had in our suburb of Cincinnati.

It is all how anyone looks at things. This is a lovely place to live. Please don't be so unhappy. There are far fewer years in front of us than behind us.

If you are lucky enough to live in The Villages, you are lucky enough.
Thank you Gracie. Malls are being torn down across the country in favor of open concept shopping. We will likely never see a Mall here and that is a good thing.Retail shopping will never be the same due to firms like Amazon and Alibaba. Irarely if ever had problems with roads with two lanes since I can only drive in be lane at a time. Seeing the various horses and cows is part of the charm of living here. Shopping was never even on my list of things I considered when I purchased the home in The Villages.
  #13  
Old 03-06-2015, 10:48 AM
dbussone's Avatar
dbussone dbussone is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,836
Thanks: 0
Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
Default Powell Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Thank you Gracie. Malls are being torn down across the country in favor of open concept shopping. We will likely never see a Mall here and that is a good thing.Retail shopping will never be the same due to firms like Amazon and Alibaba. Irarely if ever had problems with roads with two lanes since I can only drive in be lane at a time. Seeing the various horses and cows is part of the charm of living here. Shopping was never even on my list of things I considered when I purchased the home in The Villages.
VJ - between you and Gracie I think you've about covered it. The good 'ole boys are at least partially responsible for our ability to live here. If you spend some time and get to know them, most are really neat non-selfimpressed people...unlike many of their self-important narcissistic counterparts in the major rust corroded cities we left behind.

I've lived in many places. And I've liked every place ... a positive attitude goes a long way. It doesn't get any better than this.
__________________
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill
  #14  
Old 03-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Bonanza's Avatar
Bonanza Bonanza is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,985
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Bonanza. We have so many wonderful things here. Malls aren't nice anymore. Sam's is good. Good ole boys? Every area is run by locals.

Living in the middle of where horses and cattle live is what our family has done for generations and it hasn't hurt us at all.

We have almost every store that we had in our suburb of Cincinnati.

It is all how anyone looks at things. This is a lovely place to live. Please don't be so unhappy. There are far fewer years in front of us than behind us.

If you are lucky enough to live in The Villages, you are lucky enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Yikes! That's a pretty damning view of what most of us believe to be the most beautiful place we've ever lived...and where those of us who consider it home would like to live out the rest of our lives. This paradise exists thanks to the commitment, hard work and sacrifices made by the "good ole boys" to whom you refer.

At the risk of sounding argumentative, those "good ole boys" have been working diligently to satisfy the desires, needs and demands of the rapidly-expanding population here, ergo: the road construction some consider an overwhelming inconvenience.

Don't be discouraged...this roadblock is temporary, unlike those in other parts of the country that seem to continue in perpetuity.

Yikes, again! Obviously, my post didn't come off as I meant it to be. Gracie, I am not unhappy, but I certainly am more verbal than most, as you well know. {;>) I guess you can tell I could never be a politician because I tell it as it is, unlike most people who will sugar coat things.

No, I don't miss a mall, per se. I would like to see more local shopping, although Orlando is only an hour away. I do miss a Costco even though we have a Sam's. When I mention the roads, I'm not even speaking about the current construction. I am speaking about our two lane country roads that need to be resurfaced, need to be widened, and currently, need the broken edges repaired.

I happen to love all the country animals that are minutes away from us. I wish we could have some of them here! I often pull off the side of the road to watch them. I do find a difference -- a big difference -- in the way things get done here as compared to a larger city. Yes, I'm speaking about the "good 'ole boys." That, however, will never change in my lifetime or for a long time after that, and you really don't want me to expand on this, I'm sure!

No, Justus, you don't sound argumentative. We may not agree on everything, but that's fine. I want to hear a perspective from others; it makes me think!
__________________
A Promise Made is a Debt Unpaid
~~ Robert W. Service ~~
  #15  
Old 03-06-2015, 12:08 PM
dbussone's Avatar
dbussone dbussone is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,836
Thanks: 0
Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post

Yikes, again! Obviously, my post didn't come off as I meant it to be. Gracie, I am not unhappy, but I certainly am more verbal than most, as you well know. {;>) I guess you can tell I could never be a politician because I tell it as it is, unlike most people who will sugar coat things.

No, I don't miss a mall, per se. I would like to see more local shopping, although Orlando is only an hour away. I do miss a Costco even though we have a Sam's. When I mention the roads, I'm not even speaking about the current construction. I am speaking about our two lane country roads that need to be resurfaced, need to be widened, and currently, need the broken edges repaired.

I happen to love all the country animals that are minutes away from us. I wish we could have some of them here! I often pull off the side of the road to watch them. I do find a difference -- a big difference -- in the way things get done here as compared to a larger city. Yes, I'm speaking about the "good 'ole boys." That, however, will never change in my lifetime or for a long time after that, and you really don't want me to expand on this, I'm sure!

No, Justus, you don't sound argumentative. We may not agree on everything, but that's fine. I want to hear a perspective from others; it makes me think!
No yikes necessary for me. I like straight forward comments.
__________________
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 PM.