Propane Gas Grill

Old 04-12-2024, 04:18 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie66 View Post
I dug a hole about 2-2.5 feet deep. Installed a 4"x4" post. Threw concrete into the hole and watered it. Then simply strapped the BBQ grill to the post when I was concerned it would depart the pattern. It was an easy fix. Took about an hour to accomplish.
You did this at your Villages home? Thanks!
Old 04-13-2024, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
We are heading back North for the summer/fall soon. This year, we bought a new propane gas grill which sits on a concrete pad behind our GLASSED IN lanai.

I know it is not recommended to bring a propane tank indoors, but I am concerned that if the winds get high during hurricane season, the whole grill may tip over and break the glass enclosure. I have had full size grills tip over UpNorth with less wind than what comes to TV.

Would it be best to put the whole grill in the garage? Or does it get above 120F (the alleged heat limit for the propane tank, although I assume it can actually withstand more heat before being dangerous?) in a closed garage in the summer?

What are the best and safest options here to avoid both broken glass and tank explosion?
You go not have to worry about storing propane tank in garage or lanai or anywhere else. I don’t know what people are talking about this 120 degree stuff, but for propane to ignite without ignition source the temp would need to be about one thousand degrees. Gasoline is way more dangerous and that ignition point is about 500. Are you worried about leaving you far in the garage? Of course not, stop worrying about nothing.
Old 04-13-2024, 01:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy o View Post
You go not have to worry about storing propane tank in garage or lanai or anywhere else. I don’t know what people are talking about this 120 degree stuff, but for propane to ignite without ignition source the temp would need to be about one thousand degrees. Gasoline is way more dangerous and that ignition point is about 500. Are you worried about leaving you far in the garage? Of course not, stop worrying about nothing.
It’s not the temperature that causes the problem .

The issue of storing the tank in the garage is the possibility of the tank developing a leak and filling the garage with the propane gas . Any spark source can set it off . Something as simple as a light switch….

Give your homeowner’s insurance agent a call and ask him if you would be covered if you had an incident caused by a propane tank stored in your enclosed garage.

Talk to any professional who deals with hazardous materials.

So no, it’s not “worrying about nothing” …. It’s called using common sense .

You’ll hear the comments , “I do it all the time and have had no problems “

It’s never a problem until there is a problem.

Not trying to convince you about anything and we all know that you’ll do whatever you want !
Old 04-13-2024, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy o View Post
This post is wrong on many points. I will try to state what the issues and concerns are for storing combustible material.

1. Never store material that can create explosive mixtures in enclosed spaces. Propane tanks can leak and have pressure relief valves that relieve when the internal pressure reaches the pressure relief valve setting. Without researching tank designs for transport companies, 120F propane will have a vapor pressure of about 250 psig which I believe is a typical setpoint for the Propane tank. So this makes sense from a tank design standpoint.

2. The temperatures you quoted of autoignition temperatures without a source of ignition of 1000F for propane and 500F for gasoline are directionally correct for autoignition. However it is totally misleading in that all garages have potential sources of ignition besides open flame. Light switches, and garage door openers are examples of sources of ignition in past explosions. Autoignition is not the issue since the place is already on fire.

3. The key property to worry about is flashpoint temperature. Flashpoint T for gasoline is ~45F while propane is -150F. So both propane and gasoline fumes can form explosive mixtures in enclosed spaces and should be avoided. Ideally, store both portable gasoline containers and propane tanks outside in a shaded well ventilated situation. Your car is a different story. You want to store it in your garage. Pay attention to any spills or leaks and ventilate if necessary. It is a much smaller risk in my estimation. The potential for gasoline leaks is smaller and the amount leaked should be less. It is an accepted practice by Fire Officials and Insurance Companies.
Old 04-13-2024, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,819 Times in 1,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodrig View Post
It’s not the temperature that causes the problem .

The issue of storing the tank in the garage is the possibility of the tank developing a leak and filling the garage with the propane gas . Any spark source can set it off . Something as simple as a light switch….

Give your homeowner’s insurance agent a call and ask him if you would be covered if you had an incident caused by a propane tank stored in your enclosed garage.

Talk to any professional who deals with hazardous materials.

So no, it’s not “worrying about nothing” …. It’s called using common sense .

You’ll hear the comments , “I do it all the time and have had no problems “

It’s never a problem until there is a problem.

Not trying to convince you about anything and we all know that you’ll do whatever you want !
Everything has risks. Our garages are not sealed and have significant air exchange around the doors so a leaky propane tank filling a garage here is highly unlikely.

However if you have CCST gas line in your attic there is risk of a nearby lightening strike punching a hole through the tubing an starting a gas leak and resulting an undetectd fire in the attic. The VIllages averages two lightening induced home fires a year the Villages.

Experts Say Flexible Gas Line Lightning-Related Fires Continue in Spite of New Safety Measures – NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Corrugated Stainless Steel tubing in Attics and fire safety

Last edited by Altavia; 04-13-2024 at 03:51 PM.

Tags
propane, grill, tank, heat, gas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.