Propane Gas Grill

Old 04-12-2024, 06:28 AM

Our patio faces north/northeast. Keep our grill on patio near the house. 24/7/365 for eight years! We have had several hurricanes and never had an issue. I think the fear about gas grills is way overblown, no pun intended.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:43 AM
Veteran member

lend your 3/4 full tank to a neighbor for the summer to use. Get it back in the fall when you come home
Old 04-12-2024, 07:11 AM
Veteran member

The suggestion to empty the tank by placing it on its side and opening the valve is a bit flawed for 2 reasons.

1. The valve itself has a spring loaded “seal” that is activated when screwing in the regulator hose. So, nothing is going to come out of the tank without that spring loaded seal is depressed .

2. These tanks have a safety valve inside which is part of the valve . I can describe it as sort of a “float” shut off.

When tipping the tank on its side , that safety “float” shuts off the flow and prevents the fuel from coming out of the valve .
Old 04-12-2024, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
We are heading back North for the summer/fall soon. This year, we bought a new propane gas grill which sits on a concrete pad behind our GLASSED IN lanai.

I know it is not recommended to bring a propane tank indoors, but I am concerned that if the winds get high during hurricane season, the whole grill may tip over and break the glass enclosure. I have had full size grills tip over UpNorth with less wind than what comes to TV.

Would it be best to put the whole grill in the garage? Or does it get above 120F (the alleged heat limit for the propane tank, although I assume it can actually withstand more heat before being dangerous?) in a closed garage in the summer?

What are the best and safest options here to avoid both broken glass and tank explosion?
For 15 years I have left the grill and propane tank in the garage every summer without incident. Garages here don't seal that well so I never worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Grill in garage, give your tank to a neighbor to use.
100% correct answer!

Quote:
Thanks, but the tank is more than 3/4 full, so that seems wasteful and expensive.
Think of it as cheaper than it exploding and causing your house to go up in flames. I'm thinking it would not be expensive at all or let the 'block party' begin to starting grilling up some favorites to burn the gas. (that would be more expensive too). Have a safe trip back home!!!
Old 04-12-2024, 07:29 AM

Well, this has been an interesting conversation.
I never thought to ask this question. I’ve lived here 15 years. When I went north in the summer I just left the tank attached to the grill on my lanai, and an extra tank in the garage. Never a problem.

I’m not saying that it’s the thing to do. I’m just suggesting that people wiser than me have suggested many good options.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell57 View Post
Well, this has been an interesting conversation.
I never thought to ask this question. I’ve lived here 15 years. When I went north in the summer I just left the tank attached to the grill on my lanai, and an extra tank in the garage. Never a problem.

I’m not saying that it’s the thing to do. I’m just suggesting that people wiser than me have suggested many good options.
Same here:

"When I went north in the summer I just left the tank attached to the grill on my lanai, and an extra tank in the garage. Never a problem."
Old 04-12-2024, 08:01 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Respectfully, 20 pound, not 20 gallon. A 20 gallon tank wouldn’t fit on most grills. In addition it would weigh 80-90 pounds full including the weight of the container. Most grills such as a Webber have a 5 gallon tank.
Thanks!
Old 04-12-2024, 08:57 AM
Default Garage

We store multiple tanks in both an attached and detached garage in Eastern NC. It gets just as hot here as there and have never had a problem. Check for leaks with soapy water if want to be sure. You need a grill from BQ Grills in Elm City, NC. If our grill blows over we have more to worry about than where to store an LP Tank. Safe travels!
Old 04-12-2024, 09:11 AM

Storing propane tank in garage is not recommended -- check with Fire Department on this issue.
-- all kinds of opinions on the thread

Or, as a number of people have said -- give the tank to your neighbor
Old 04-12-2024, 09:16 AM
Default Grill storage

Quote:
We are heading back North for the summer/fall soon. This year, we bought a new propane gas grill which sits on a concrete pad behind our GLASSED IN lanai.

I know it is not recommended to bring a propane tank indoors, but I am concerned that if the winds get high during hurricane season, the whole grill may tip over and break the glass enclosure. I have had full size grills tip over UpNorth with less wind than what comes to TV.

Would it be best to put the whole grill in the garage? Or does it get above 120F (the alleged heat limit for the propane tank, although I assume it can actually withstand more heat before being dangerous?) in a closed garage in the summer?

What are the best and safest options here to avoid both broken glass and tank explosion?
Move the grill to the interior corner of the lanai.
Turn off tank valve and cover the grill.
Old 04-12-2024, 01:13 PM

Get a grillin’ or give to your favorite neighbor. Good chance they will return the favor on your return trip
Old 04-12-2024, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,952 Times in 938 Posts

Storage outside the risk of a fire / explosion is low, as there should not be an ignition source anywhere near the tank if it leaks

Propane tanks in garages works until it doesn't due the enclosed nature of the garage and potential electrical ignition sources

Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

I leave ours up north on the shady side of the house, outside.
But there are many propane tanks outside in the sun all season long in FL

good luck
Old 04-12-2024, 03:13 PM

I dug a hole about 2-2.5 feet deep. Installed a 4"x4" post. Threw concrete into the hole and watered it. Then simply strapped the BBQ grill to the post when I was concerned it would depart the pattern. It was an easy fix. Took about an hour to accomplish.

Tags
propane, grill, tank, heat, gas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.