Property lines - Are Villas and CYV built on "zero" clearance lots?

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2011, 05:04 PM
Default Property lines - Are Villas and CYV built on "zero" clearance lots?

Are Villas and CYV built on "zero" clearance lots? What I'd like to know is if side yard on one side of house belongs to that home or the neigbor? CYV have a side fence that is right in line with one side of that home. Also , which home owner takes care of it?
Old 12-18-2011, 06:18 PM

My understanding is that property lines on homes are designated by the sprinklers. Our landscaper knows where to cut the grass based on the sprinklers on the sides and rear of our home.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Veteran member

With patio villas, the property or lot lines are different from what we use and maintain. I have a diagram which came in my package when I bought. The property line on the side of my villa with no windows actually runs through the center of the side patio of the villa next to me on that side. However, I do not maintain half of their side yard. What we use and maintain is driveway to driveway. The sprinkler system also defines what we use and maintain. Property lines actually mean nothing as far as usage and maintenance goes - I'll never understand why they did it that way. If anyone wants a copy of the patio villa diagram I might be able to scan it and email it to you.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:04 PM

What is a cyv
Old 12-18-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp509 View Post
With patio villas, the property or lot lines are different from what we use and maintain. I have a diagram which came in my package when I bought. The property line on the side of my villa with no windows actually runs through the center of the side patio of the villa next to me on that side. However, I do not maintain half of their side yard. What we use and maintain is driveway to driveway. The sprinkler system also defines what we use and maintain. Property lines actually mean nothing as far as usage and maintenance goes - I'll never understand why they did it that way. If anyone wants a copy of the patio villa diagram I might be able to scan it and email it to you.
Thank you for clearing this up for me. I understand. My concern was not so much about maintance as much as to, if the next door owner on the blind side could plant scrubs or anyting right up close to my home. This is someting I do not like to do. I never put plantings right up to my home. Hope I haven't confused you, Thanks again.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Veteran member
Default our neighbour did not want

cement right up to his house in our side yard so we left a small plot of ground with bushes in it along the side of his house so he can spray when he needs to.

CYV is a court yard villa and the land right opposite the front door, also belongs to the neighbour on that side (his garage) but we plant the land and look after it. When our house gets washed, we have to remember to ask the neighbour to leave his gate unlocked so the washer can get in. Same for the pest control sprayer.

I feel that this arrangement also encourages people to get along with their neighbours. We are all in the arrangement together. We are very fortunate to have the best neighbours and I am sure most posters feel they too have the best neighbours. That's one of the things that makes TV so special.

LW888
Old 12-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp509 View Post
mfp is right on the money with this for Patio Villas.

I suspect the actual lot lines that define what you legally own were done as they were so there was a typical setback for the house on the sides.

Bill
Old 02-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Default Patio Villa property lines

I have been curious about the property lines. Most of the villas on my street have bushes that "fence in" one of the yards. My villa does not have these bushes. My neighbor parks his suv half on and half off his driveway. As I just bought this villa, I plan to sod the front. He will then be parking on my front lawn. He also keeps his trash cans against his wall (right outside my sliding glass doors. I want to get my information straight before I talk to him. I would love a diagram to show him.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Sage

You should have gotten a plot plan when you closed. If you did not, you can get a copy from the county appraiser's office.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by visitor22 View Post
I have been curious about the property lines. Most of the villas on my street have bushes that "fence in" one of the yards. My villa does not have these bushes. My neighbor parks his suv half on and half off his driveway. As I just bought this villa, I plan to sod the front. He will then be parking on my front lawn. He also keeps his trash cans against his wall (right outside my sliding glass doors. I want to get my information straight before I talk to him. I would love a diagram to show him.
I thought both trash cans outside and cars on the lawn were against the rules.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by visitor22 View Post
We live in a CYV. If i understand your post correctly, your neighbor us out of line. Call community standards at once! Are you in a courtyard villa or patio villa?
Old 02-10-2014, 07:34 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

We rented a courtyard villa for Dec (in a small ranch now) and we loved it but the idea that I own land that someone else has charge and use of and that my yard area to enjoy and maintain belongs to someone else just seems weird, I had assumed they were 0 lot line. If you have great neighbors great but what if you don't or they are using it as a rental and you can't get in when you need to. Maybe I need to rethink this thing.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
We rented a courtyard villa for Dec (in a small ranch now) and we loved it but the idea that I own land that someone else has charge and use of and that my yard area to enjoy and maintain belongs to someone else just seems weird, I had assumed they were 0 lot line. If you have great neighbors great but what if you don't or they are using it as a rental and you can't get in when you need to. Maybe I need to rethink this thing.
Yeah, it is a little weird, and it takes some getting use to. But it really does work out fine. It's a very small amount of land on either side that is affected. The covenants spell out each home owner's ingress and egress rights. I've not encountered any problems with my neighbors (including renters), nor has any other CYV owner that I know. CYVs have their own unique (possibly detrimental) issues, but they also have their own unique advantages.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Default Lot Lines

I have lived in a Patio Villa for the last 14 Years.I must grant my next door neighbor access to inspect and maintain the side of the house that faces our patio area,He cannot however store anything or plant anything on that side.We mow the grass and maintain the plantings and treat the property as our own.This arrangement is spelled out in the covenants which you and your neighbor signed when you took ownership of your respective homes.If I were in your circumstance I would plant some inexpensive bushes or place some Lollipop reflector sticks alongside his driveway(on your side of course) and perhaps he'll take the hint.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.