Property Tax Issue

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2007, 08:10 PM
Default Re: Property Tax Issue

Remember it has not passed yet and hopefully it won't. Also I don't think it would take 10-15 years before you are paying more tax. Assessed values will climb a lot more that the hypothetical chart shows using a 7% increase per year.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:14 AM

If I understand this proposition and it passes anyone that purchases a home must use the new exemption even if you believe it will lead too much higher taxes. If I sell my home in TV to purchase a larger or smaller one I can’t keep my current exemption that keeps my taxes low. Why would I want to approve this?
Old 09-25-2007, 08:18 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to RCT

Thanks again Avista and others for your input, did some checking, and you're right, have to be in the new place on Jan.!st for Homestead. Doesn't seem right, seeing as you only missed a month and a half, but, can't fight city hall, huh?
Even if this does pass, though, wouldn't go into effect until Jan.2009, I would assume. People seem to think it will not pass, though, so, wouldn't matter for us then, but, what if it did? We would have to make sure we purchased before it takes effect? Losing the homestead for one year because we might not be in on Jan. 1st certainly wouldn't be the biggest loss, but if we waited, and would have no choice but the super-exemption, that wouldn't be preferable.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Eternal Member

I see where a judge threw out the amendment as ambiguous and one-sided and the legislatures in Tallahassee are scrambling around to keep it on the ballot. AS one who will never move to any other place in Florida, I like Save Our Homes.

Read before you vote on it if it makes it back.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:58 PM

September 26, 2007

ISSUE: Judge kicks amendment off ballot.

Fixing language to get a property tax overhaul back on the Jan. 29 ballot seems an easy repair job. Still, a judge's ruling gives Gov. Charlie Crist and the Legislature another opportunity to do the wise thing, and hand this contentious, complicated issue to the Taxation and Budget Reform Commission.

A Leon County court ruling Monday removed the constitutional amendment on a "super" homestead exemption from next year's primary. The judge, who ruled on a lawsuit filed by Weston Mayor Eric Hersh, found the language misleading because it didn't clearly state the amendment would, over time, spell the end of Save Our Homes safeguards.

Those who cheered the judge's decision as the end of the super exemption effort might be doing so prematurely, however. Inserting language clarifying the ballot measure seems an easy chore.

Having debated property tax reform through the regular session and a special sessions, you can count on the Tallahassee to make the repair. After all, letting the people decide is reasonable and fair.

The smarter political and public policy alternative, however, would be to turn this debate over to the Taxation and Budget Reform Commission.

It's wiser for political reasons, since polling on the amendment hasn't produced numbers indicating enough support for ratification. But the more important reason for handing this to the once-every-20-year commission is that it's in Florida's best interest.

The constitutional amendment itself is too limited. It only addresses taxation for homesteaded properties, while doing nothing to ease the crunch on businesses and others. That's why House Speaker Marco Rubio and others have vowed to address commercial property taxes after the Jan. 29 vote.

Eliminating the SOH protection over time sounds egalitarian. But Floridians skeptical of public spending and taxation will be unwilling to get rid of the one guarantee they have against a tax spiral.

Bringing sense and fairness to the tax reform debate is difficult in this politicized environment. The Taxation and Budget Reform Commission has the advantage of a more deliberative process necessary to wrestle with the hard decisions ahead.

Its chairman, former House Speaker Allen Bense, had previously said the panel would focus on reform options or enhancements to follow the Jan. 29 vote. Why not just let them have a blank slate?

Florida would be better off voting on a comprehensive package of reforms provided by the Commission than with the politicized, piecemeal efforts of the Legislature.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:07 PM

Can someone come up with a SWAG (scientific wild a__ guess) concerning what the property tax would be on a $350-$370K Home in TV? HOI? Currently living in Germany and eating brats and drinking a few beers :beer2:. May have to switch to peanut butter and water once we get back stateside . Then of course, there is always Alabama.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:03 PM

Birdman. If accessed at 350,00 and no exemption your tax rate should be around 2.2% including the bond. That would translate into about $7700.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:52 AM

Whoa Dogie...guess we had better fill up on the schnitzels and brats over here while we can. Maybe things will get better before we return to buy a place in Mar 08. Don't want to know/ask about the HOI.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:55 PM

I sure hope you citizens of TV vote to keep the taxes "as is". I read the article and I agree it may save a few dollars the first few years and them "boom" you're hit with major taxes. We live in Illinois and our tax bill is close to $12,000. We are looking to TV to cut back our taxes. A 3% cap seems fair to me. There is no way we could afford to pay the taxes we pay now once we retire.

Thanks for all the good information.

Pili
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.