Put multi modal paths on Morse Blvd

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2015, 09:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
The traffic on Morse will get even heavier once they start widening 466A .
Wondering why?
Old 01-15-2015, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,749 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Wondering why?
Me too!!
Old 01-15-2015, 09:49 AM

Speed bumps with a lowered speed limit.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:52 AM
Sage

some of the problem is driving a golf cart in some respects is being anonymous.
There is no way to identify, except color shape or make.

Sort of tongue in cheek but if every golf cart had a number (I hate to say registration as that would bring a rain of posts!) like a golf ID number is assigned, then there would be an identifier. A way of reporting, tracking down violators.

Just as a few years ago all resident ID cards were re-issued over a year or so span, golf cart ID numbers could be mad available something like that.

Yes there would be additional costs for materials and administration.

Another would be to make it illegal for low speed vehicles to use MMPs....keep them on the streets only. And carts that are golf course speed only allowed on the MMPs.

I just do not understand the concept of needing to go 2-5 mph faster. How many of us have been passed by some whacko going too fast on the MMP only to be right behind them at the next stop sign!!!

19.9 mph carts only in TV!

If you don't like the idea above feel free to offer a potential solution.

As often as this subject is discussed here or in various functions in TV the end result, week after week and year after year is always the same....nothing gets done to change the current mode of operating. Hence, no surprise....accidents and deaths continue!!!
Old 01-15-2015, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

As I live south of 466a, I tend to use Micro Racetrack and Rolling Acres roads to get to Spanish Springs area. If the existing construction to widen 466a in this area starts to backup traffic I was looking to use Morse, at least to 466, then possibly to Rolling Acres. Based on all of the above comments, I think I will be avoiding Morse blvd above 466.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
As I live south of 466a, I tend to use Micro Racetrack and Rolling Acres roads to get to Spanish Springs area. If the existing construction to widen 466a in this area starts to backup traffic I was looking to use Morse, at least to 466, then possibly to Rolling Acres. Based on all of the above comments, I think I will be avoiding Morse blvd above 466.
I would not let the actions of the few who are involved in or create an accident change how I live. If you are a capable, conscious, safe cart driver there is not problem. That is the reason why the other 99% of us make it through the day on the MMPs, where ever they may be.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:11 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Very difficult problem, and very costly engineering project to solve. Major issues include maintenance of drainage patterns, accommodation of traffic, and much more. Tunnels would be an option to traffic signals, but again, enormous expense. Extensive permitting requirements also. And best case scenario would take years before completion of construction. It's much easier and cheaper to design something like this during concept development than it is to retrofit.

None of this is intended to discourage attempts to deal with the situation. But there are no quick and easy solutions.
Ho Polar Bear: You are spot on. However what is a life worth? How many more people have to be killed or seriously injured on this stretch of road before the county does something. Let just one of these mishaps cost the county thousands of dollars in a lawsuit settlement and they will act.

The design of this road is plain frightening. As i stated in another thread we have in The Villages many multi=modal roads and cart paths for a demographic that is slow and each year gets slower reaction times coupled with county controlled roads that are traveled by every age placing a convergence of different age groups experiences and vehicles all on the same road . This is not very good visionary thinking or planning in my view

Morse, Rio Grande and streets along that area are not well suited for golf cart travel as the diamond lanes are not level in many places and far too narrow.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:02 PM

[QUOTE=billethkid;995814]some of the problem is driving a golf cart in some respects is being anonymous.
There is no way to identify, except color shape or make.

Sort of tongue in cheek but if every golf cart had a number (I hate to say registration as that would bring a rain of posts!) like a golf ID number is assigned, then there would be an identifier. A way of reporting, tracking down violators.

Cart ID's were discussed months ago. I think it is a wonderful idea. When people feel invisible, knowing that there are so many people in TV with grey hair driving a gold colored golf cart, they might be more apt to try to "get away" with things. (Speeding, driving stupid, hitting someones parked car or cart, letting 9 years olds drive grandma's cart, etc...)
Old 01-18-2015, 04:14 PM

My friend and I just had a very interesting experience on the "multi-modul path" over by 466 and Belevedere. Two bicyclists
(man and women) were riding in front of us. My friend passed them as they were the slower traffic. When we came to the stop the man intentionally hit her from behind and the woman yelled at her. My friend did nothing wrong. There was plenty of time to pass. No wonder no one wants to share the road with these so called "jerks". I told the lady we passed her because she was the slower traffic and she flipped us off and yelled "go to h---". NICE, real class!
Old 01-19-2015, 12:51 AM
Veteran member

Fact is the accident was tragic, but also was result of driver error and it is doubtful any amount of engineering changes can ever protect anyone from driver errors.

With all the pushing and talk, what if Sumter county said this stretch of road is just too dangerous for golf carts and said they will no longer be allowed to use this stretch of road?

What happens then?
Old 01-19-2015, 07:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
Fact is the accident was tragic, but also was result of driver error and it is doubtful any amount of engineering changes can ever protect anyone from driver errors.

With all the pushing and talk, what if Sumter county said this stretch of road is just too dangerous for golf carts and said they will no longer be allowed to use this stretch of road?

What happens then?
My guess is that Buena Vista and El Camino will get really busy.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.