Quoted $7,000 by moving company- 3 br house in Mass. to TV. Seeking alternates

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2023, 06:58 AM
Default Good advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Be careful on getting rid of everything as some tell you. First supply chain is still sketchy for furniture, last thing you want to do is have to buy stuff because it’s available and not like it. Some furniture is Available, but 80% of what we needed was back ordered 4-6 months. Plus if I am spending $5000 on one room of furniture I need to love it.

A couch, loveseat and chair, (leather) will be $11,000. So if there is room bring everything, then get rid of when you find something else. People are always looking for furniture to put in rentals.

We brought two bedroom set, all of our side tables, dining set. Then we filled the pod with stuff we may or not need, but you need to fill completely to keep from shifting. Since your weight isn’t an issue, we brought more than we originally thought.
Total move midsize pod was $2,485 from Mid MI, in 6/2022. We loaded, and unloaded ourselves, but pods had list of people to use.

Best part of dining set that we were not going to bring, we sold here for $1100. So for us move became really cheap.
GREAT ADVICE! If you have old or worn out furniture, get rid of it and buy new. We had nice, expensive furnishings up north so we brought it. I love my brown leather in my Florida house. And my dark wood. Everything does not have to be white!
Old 04-30-2023, 07:01 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,090 Times in 548 Posts

Consignment shops are here are full of up north furniture. Florida decor is very different, and your heavy pieces won't look good in these homes. Call the kids, tell them to come get what they want, have a yard sale sell the rest. Bring just what is special to you.
Old 04-30-2023, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post

So with the 1200 square feet and the $7,000 in mind, can anyone give me an idea of how much I will save using PODS or Pack Rat? Also- what would it cost to hire people to load and unload the container.

Thanks!
We moved from Virginia to TV and got two PODS (one in Nov 22 and 2nd in Feb 23). We paid $3300 for each POD and unloaded it ourselves with one friend.
Old 04-30-2023, 07:06 AM

Had someone do an estate sale at our former home and made more than enough to buy new furniture for new home.
Old 04-30-2023, 07:12 AM
Default Moving company

We recently moved from northern Connecticut and we paid $7,500. We used Movers in Hartford, CT | Capitol Relocation & Logistics and we were very happy with their services. Our representative was Mark Cavallari. They quote you a price and it is guaranteed. So, you know what the final cost will be. Moving guys were great and everything got here in one piece.
Old 04-30-2023, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Quoted $7,000 to move approx 1200 square feet from Mass. to TV by a moving company. A Google search says to expect to pay $7-8,000 so this about right. I'm aware of PODS and Pack Rat but I don't want to get bombarded by emails and phone calls if I use their online quote tool.

So with the 1200 square feet and the $7,000 in mind, can anyone give me an idea of how much I will save using PODS or Pack Rat? Also- what would it cost to hire people to load and unload the container.

Thanks!
We came from MD, used Town and Country, very reasonable, beat the other two estimates we got. See Maryland, Virginia & DC Movers Since 1977 | Town & Country Movers . Don't know if they serve MA.
Old 04-30-2023, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I sold everything I owned and bought new stuff. Best decision I ever made. $7,000+ will buy a lot of new stuff to replace your old stuff.
We left behind some Ethan Allen and LazyBoy furniture, figuring to buy new stuff here. Kind of regret it because the prices now are ridiculous and many things are backordered for weeks or months.
I'm always concerned about using something like PODS because the movers you get might be off the street and have no idea what they're doing.

Last edited by djlnc; 04-30-2023 at 07:37 AM. Reason: update
Old 04-30-2023, 07:35 AM

We used one large POD, and one small POD, 18 months ago, to move from Oregon. It was $7500. I would say from MA it should run you about $3500 to $4500. Call them and get an accurate quote. However, we did use their online system to get a quote and I don’t remember getting bombarded with anything. Btw, we sold all our furniture with out house and bought all new when we got here. That was the best thing we ever did! We just moved personal items which filled their largest POD.

Last edited by Ptmckiou; 04-30-2023 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-30-2023, 07:41 AM

My in-laws packed everything that could fit in a box and we shipped it FedEx. 60 boxes from their townhouse were shipped. Most everything else was sold. Everything from the basement sold or given away (no basements here). Anything precious went in our car or their car. Then we drove to the Autotrain in Virginia and woke up the next day in Orlando. So much better than dealing with moving companies. Every single one of them has nightmare reviews. Every single one.
Old 04-30-2023, 07:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Actually that’s cheaper than I thought to move that far!
Old 04-30-2023, 07:51 AM

Do yourself a favor and price out UBox from Uhaul. I just brought down the last of my house up north when I sold it, and it was much less than pods. I'm not sure if it would fit your needs, but many options for help available, the company and process seamless. I had a great experience with them.
Old 04-30-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I sold everything I owned and bought new stuff. Best decision I ever made. $7,000+ will buy a lot of new stuff to replace your old stuff.
Pods is not as cheap as you might think as they are only 8x16’. My 2000 sf house would have taken 3 pods. Add up the rental time and the pickup and delivery fees and it starts to pile up. In the end I did it all my self with a Penske truck with a trailer for my vehicle. All in with all the insurance that covers a total loss was just under 3k. Had it for a week, 2 days to pack it up max 3 for travel (actually took 2.5) and 2 to unpack. Everything was on my schedule not someone else’s.
Old 04-30-2023, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Quoted $7,000 to move approx 1200 square feet from Mass. to TV by a moving company. A Google search says to expect to pay $7-8,000 so this about right. I'm aware of PODS and Pack Rat but I don't want to get bombarded by emails and phone calls if I use their online quote tool.

Thanks!
We got two quotes last October for our move from SoCal. We had a 4 br house, but after a big purge we decided one 16’ POD would be enough. The quote was $10K. After recovering from the initial shock we called PackRat. $5K. Needless to say we chose them, and it was a great experience all around including them storing our container at their Orlando facility for two months until we closed escrow on 12/15. Best of luck!
Old 04-30-2023, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,985 Times in 5,363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlnc View Post
We left behind some Ethan Allen and LazyBoy furniture, figuring to buy new stuff here. Kind of regret it because the prices now are ridiculous and many things are backordered for weeks or months.
I'm always concerned about using something like PODS because the movers you get might be off the street and have no idea what they're doing.
I'm lucky because I have very little appreciation for furniture. I would never wait months for a sofa or chair to arrive from anywhere. Some people will wait 4 months for something because the store doesn't have the exact color they want. I can sit or sleep on just about anything. Paying a moving company $7,000 to move my stuff thousands of miles sounds totally absurd to me.
Old 04-30-2023, 08:41 AM

Listen to people that are telling you it's cheaper to sell or give away your old furniture and buy new here. Lots of excellent thrift and furniture consignment stores here and even better estate sales where you can buy an entire room of furniture for pennies on the dollar. Your old furniture will look old in your new home. We brought only our personal things and used usps to mail them which was surprising cheap and fully insured. Best move we ever made.

Last edited by Villagesgal; 04-30-2023 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Spelling
Closed Thread

Tags
$7, 000, rat, pack, pods, feet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.