Rats and Alligators

Closed Thread
Old 07-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Default Rats and Alligators

We are still fighting rats running around the mailboxes and pool at Ashland. Now this AM we were watching an alligator swimming in the retention pond near the pool. People in the pool said there are three alligators in there. The Villages use to take them out but that is another service they have cut. :dontknow:
Just be very careful with small dogs etc. I guess the wild cats have been made into gator food. The birds and ducks have disappeared too.!
Old 07-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: Rats and Alligators

From what I've heard, TV still removes gators out of the ponds. I know there was one in Tall Trees and my friends and their neighbors were asked to watch to see if the gator ate the bait and got caught. Somehow, the gator left the pond via one of the pipes, so there was no need to watch the trap. But TV was very good about calling a trapper to remove the gator -- he was out there within the week of the initial call. This was within the past month.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-10-2008, 04:06 PM

Red,
I hope you are right. We definitely have gators around the Ashland pool.
Two different men at the pool told me they aren't pulling them out. :dontknow:
I will let you know if I keep seeing the gators!
Old 07-10-2008, 04:11 PM

We have a gator or two in the pond behind our home (Virginia Trace), one being at least 10 feet long. At first I was really scared about them, but we do have a retaining wall and fence, and the gators seem to just want to swim and occasionally sun themselves. Neither has left the shore of the pond.
However, when they visit, the birds and ducks won't wade into the waters - that's how we know they're around. I now enjoy seeing all of the wildlife, including the two gators, whom we've named RJ and Ali Gator. And our guests always look for them when they visit.
The Villages Florida
Mr & Mrs Travel and Ali Gator
Old 07-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Sage

What's wrong with having gators??? We have many in my village and I love watching them.
They were here before we were and as long as they aren't attacking anyone we should leave them alone. If they are over a certain length, I think they are removed. I,for one ,love seeing them glide across the lake. This is Florida. They live here. The buffs are gone. Next the gators..then the snapping turtles, then how do we get rid of the snakes?
Maybe people that hate all these creatures should relocate to places with less wildlife. Florida is a wild state in terms of critters that may not be friendly. We have bears, gators, monster wild hogs, five poisonous species of snakes and some big cats, as well.
I think the wildlife is wonderful. Guess that's why there's chocolate and vanilla. If you like vanilla, why would you go to a place that only has chocolate??
Old 07-10-2008, 04:26 PM

Sam,
I love gators. I also love baby ducks, shore birds, cats , little dogs and little people. I just said that be careful . Gators are known to eat other little animals ! :
In the past 3 winters, they had put the gators back in Lake Miona, away from the Ashland pond. Many, many people walked their little dogs around the lake. When the sail boaters are here twice a week, even little grandchildren walk up to the pond. People just need to be careful.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:29 PM

Sam,
I am country to the bone! I love all animals.
Mc
Old 07-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by travel
We have a gator or two in the pond behind our home (Virginia Trace), one being at least 10 feet long. At first I was really scared about them, but we do have a retaining wall and fence, and the gators seem to just want to swim and occasionally sun themselves. Neither has left the shore of the pond.
However, when they visit, the birds and ducks won't wade into the waters - that's how we know they're around. I now enjoy seeing all of the wildlife, including the two gators, whom we've named RJ and Ali Gator. And our guests always look for them when they visit.
The Villages Florida
Boy, Mr. and Mrs. Travel being that close to Ali Gator we could have been calling you Mr. and Mrs. Ali Gator.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:45 PM

Travel.
That is a great picture!
Mc
Old 07-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

I just can't help it. I think I am hijacking again. Well, not exactly. But sort of. Maybe.

Anyway, this is for those of you who have little grandchildren. My grandchildren are teenagers now. (I am actually quite young. Yeah, that's it. I was a grandmothering prodigy.)

Anyway, I always taught my grandchildren songs when they were little. Included in my repertoire was the ever popular "Stewball was a racehorse, and I wish he were mine. He never drank water. He always drank wine." . . .

I digress. Back to my point.

Here is a song that I knew long before the Muppets did. And my darling grandchildren knew all the words. Still do I'm sure.

And while I know this song is all about a crocodile and not an alligator, it's close enough. And kids love the song. And so do I. So hit this link if you want to smile -- or not. And try not to think about what's happening to all those -- uh, -- oops! -- uh, frogs!

(And, btw, that snapping turtle that I was telling you all about yesterday that was on my Ohio patio -- well, Mr. Boomer Dundee came home and relocated it to a nearby creek where I hope he is living happily ever after. The snapping turtle, not Mr. Boomer Dundee.)

Anyway, if you have little grandchildren, you just have to hit this link. You'll be glad you did. And so will they.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVWuAyWWuAU

Boomer
Old 07-10-2008, 06:25 PM

Boomer - I just watched and listened and went back in time about 55 years to remember that song. I had it on a record (remember them). Now I know I will not get that "never smile at a crocodile" song out of my head the rest of the day. Thanks for the memories.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by travel
The Villages Florida

That is quite an.....arresting picture....I am a yankee and stupid as H...., but is that safe...I mean being so close????
Old 07-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

If I moved to Michigan and knew they had Opposum and Hawks there, I would not think that the developer of the neighborhood to which I moved was responsible for removing them. NOW I know that oppossum and Hawks are not the same as Alligators and Rats, but it does seem to be the same principal, or am I wrong?
Old 07-10-2008, 07:02 PM

graciegil, I'm not a yankee and probably stupid as h... but that croc sure looks fake to me.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl
If I moved to Michigan and knew they had Opposum and Hawks there, I would not think that the developer of the neighborhood to which I moved was responsible for removing them. NOW I know that oppossum and Hawks are not the same as Alligators and Rats, but it does seem to be the same principal, or am I wrong?
Yes - you are missing the point. As people who have lived in Ashland can tell you -we have never seen rats on our pool deck before because the Villages had a full time exterminator. Yes- there are rats everyplace but when they move in with humans it becomes a health hazard. This is a service the Villages has had in the past, which means they felt it was a necessity then, so why would it change now? No other animal carries and spreads disease like rats, and they are an indication that waste is not being properly handled. As for alligators, they surely are a natural fixture of Florida. Housing developments are not. A predator like an alligator poses a more dangerous threat to humans than possums or hawks. This pond is frequented by model boat clubs, their observers, and pet owners. Few ponds are used by humans as much as this one, so The Villages has in the past cleared any alligators that have been present. Again, this is a change in policy, probably due to cost and owner cut-backs. ...
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.