Realtors or trying it on your own?

Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2015, 10:31 AM
Default Resale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Location has not been "done" to death and never will be.
It is not based on opinion.
It is based on statistics within a given area.

You are ill informed. A new home is not necessarily "more desired."
A resale property usually has all the kinks worked out.
They usually have features added which new homes do not have.
The landscaping is usually more mature.
I could go on and on but I think you get the point.
Resales are very desirable!
I have heard the same thing. My house may not be brand new, but I have redone so much on the inside and outside I would imagine the previous owner wouldn't recognize it. My house, though on a beautiful lot, was plain jane on the inside. That has all changed. As an added note, if I do list it with the person I have in mind, they were a Realtor on the outside for many years before coming to TV. I appreciate this advice!!
Old 01-30-2015, 11:52 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

I have a question. If a person wants to use a Villages agent to purchase a home listed by The Villages by another Villages agent can the person's agent be engaged as a buyer's agent?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-30-2015, 12:34 PM

Board of Realtors is trademark and should be capitalized, however, realtor is a person, no more important than teacher, lawyer, nurse, landscaper, plumber, hairdresser, etc.

Of course, some people think they are more important.

If you are selling your house yourself, the seller thinks he/she will pocket the commission and the buyer thinks they are saving the commission.

Real estate is a cut throat business and there is no practicing "code of ethics". The agent is working for themselves and working both sides of the fence.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I have a question. If a person wants to use a Villages agent to purchase a home listed by The Villages by another Villages agent can the person's agent be engaged as a buyer's agent?
I don't know if The Villages' agents can operate as a buyer's agent. That is usually up to the broker of an office. In all the offices I was ever affiliated with, my entire office of Realtors operated as "Transaction Brokers."

If you wanted an agent to be your Buyer's Agent, you would be the one paying their commission. They could not (by law) collect a commission from you and the co-broke commission from the commission the seller was paying. In other words, your buyer's agent could not collect two commissions.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipcovers View Post
Board of Realtors is trademark and should be capitalized, however, realtor is a person, no more important than teacher, lawyer, nurse, landscaper, plumber, hairdresser, etc.

Of course, some people think they are more important.

If you are selling your house yourself, the seller thinks he/she will pocket the commission and the buyer thinks they are saving the commission.

Real estate is a cut throat business and there is no practicing "code of ethics". The agent is working for themselves and working both sides of the fence.
You are incorrect on a number of things you have said. The words "Board of Realtors" are not a trademark. When those three words are associated with a specific board, those words are capitalized and as an example could be called the Cocoa Beach Board of Realtors. A board of Realtors is always affiliated with the National Assn. of Realtors. In Ft. Lauderdate they are not even called a board. It is called the Ft. Lauderdale Association of Realtors.

No one ever said a Realtor is any more important than any other profession. However, the word, Realtor, regardless of what you think, is ALWAYS capitalized. The word is a registered trademark of the NAR and just like the words Whirlpool, Coca-Cola, etc., is the same thing . . . always capitalized! Unless you are a member of a board of Realtors and the National Assn. Of Realtors, you cannot use the word Realtor. You would then only be a sales agent, sales associate, agent, etc.

Every Realtor must abide by the Code of Ethics as set by their local board and the NAR. If a Realtor does not abide by this code, they would face disciplinary action and the possibility of losing their license if an infraction is serious enough.

How does a seller "pocket" a commission when he hasn't paid any??? If a buyer thinks he is saving a commission, he is kidding himself. Most properties sell for exactly what they would sell for with or without a commission.

A Realtor does not work for himself. That is illegal. He works for a broker and is paid his split from the broker. In addition, he cannot work "both sides of the fence," as you call it. If he is a buyer's agent, that is all he can be. If he is a transaction agent, that is all he can be. Period!

It's very sad how misinformed you are. You really need to check your facts before you sound off.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:24 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I don't know if The Villages' agents can operate as a buyer's agent. That is usually up to the broker of an office. In all the offices I was ever affiliated with, my entire office of Realtors operated as "Transaction Brokers."

If you wanted an agent to be your Buyer's Agent, you would be the one paying their commission. They could not (by law) collect a commission from you and the co-broke commission from the commission the seller was paying. In other words, your buyer's agent could not collect two commissions.
Here is the most current Florida statute I could find on authorized brokerage real estate agency . Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

The presumption is the agency is transactional but an agent can act as a seller's agent or a buyer's agent. However, such agreements must be in writing.

Over the past 20 years I have bought and sold several homes in two states (not Florida). When selling I always employed my agent as a seller's agent. When purchasing I always had a signed buyer's agency agreement with my agent. Never, ever, did I pay an additional commission to my buyer's agent. His/her commission came from the seller as if the agent was a transactional agent.

My question is can a Villages agent act as a buyer's agent for the Villages resale listings of other Villages brokers?

I know this can be a issue if a listing is within a single brokerage office.

Intuitively I would hazard a guess that when an agent of The Villages sells a new home the agent acts as the seller's (developer's) agent and that when an agent sells a resale he/she acts as a transactional agent in the normal course of things.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-31-2015, 11:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipcovers View Post
This is exactly why FSBO's (For Sale By Owner) often end up being listed with a Realtor.
Often, the Seller isn't selling at a discount! Not always, but often.
He is asking market value, and intending to pocket the commission amount, NOT pass the savings on to the Purchaser.

I disagree with the negative comments made about real estate agents. They pertain to a small minority of agents.
Most agents are professional, ethical, and operate fairly. As with most things, a few bad apples taint the barrel.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
maybe resales are not selling is because they are priced higher than new....
I know the location story, been done to death, location is a matter of opinion...
but apples to apples, a new home is more desired than a resale, and if its priced lower, there is really no question....why would I buy old vs buy brand new...
if you want to compete with the developer, price your home slightly less than the new homes
to get more interest....
Sorry Kstew, but this simply isn't true.
Location will always be the most important factor in selecting a home.
Many people do NOT feel that a new home is more desired than a resale.
View lots are less expensive when purchasing a resale than buying a new home.
Resales have many additional features (landscaping, solar tubes, ladders to the attic, birdcages, summer kitchens, pools, hot tubs, etc.) that new homes don't have.
These additional features may well bring the market value over the price of a new construction.
Many people want to live in a mature, developed area with lots of stores and restaurants.
They don't want to live in a dust bowl while construction is completed.
Personally, we would always chose a resale over new because we want to live mid Villages on a view lot.
Each to his own, there is no one "right" answer.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:28 PM

I have to say I have learned a few things from all the posts. Again, a lot of great advice. I am going to miss TOTV when I get back home. This site has been so helpful on so many decisions I have had to make.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Here is the most current Florida statute I could find on authorized brokerage real estate agency . Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

The presumption is the agency is transactional but an agent can act as a seller's agent or a buyer's agent. However, such agreements must be in writing.

Over the past 20 years I have bought and sold several homes in two states (not Florida). When selling I always employed my agent as a seller's agent. When purchasing I always had a signed buyer's agency agreement with my agent. Never, ever, did I pay an additional commission to my buyer's agent. His/her commission came from the seller as if the agent was a transactional agent.

My question is can a Villages agent act as a buyer's agent for the Villages resale listings of other Villages brokers?

I know this can be a issue if a listing is within a single brokerage office.

Intuitively I would hazard a guess that when an agent of The Villages sells a new home the agent acts as the seller's (developer's) agent and that when an agent sells a resale he/she acts as a transactional agent in the normal course of things.
There are agents who only work with buyers and do not list properties at all. If you did not pay an agent to represent you as a buyer then yes -- that agent collected commission from the selling broker's office. An agent cannot by law, collect more than one commission.

Truthfully, I do not know how The Villages operates. I have a feeling that regardless of whether their agents sell a new home or a resale, they act as transaction agents. I could be wrong; it's just my opinion, but in either situation they must be fair and honest in dealing in both types of sale, and must give full disclosure in both cases without divulging any private information that was given to them.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We paid McLin Burnsed $750 and they handled all paper work, all reminders, all scheduling, all clearances and the new owners were ready for their picture taking and chip insertion.
We did the same but it was only $450 and we just closed in January. Total cost for us was $850. We placed a $400 ad in the Villages Newspaper which got us lots of attention. The ad was to run for one month. It took 2 weeks to the day for the house to sell.

We had more calls (and no open house) than our next door neighbor who did go with a Realtor from TV. We also sold our house quicker than they did. So I'd definitely do this by myself again. McLin Burnsed were very professional and wonderful to work with.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:01 PM

Wow, that is what I like to hear!!!
Old 02-05-2015, 02:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachx4me View Post
I have to say I have learned a few things from all the posts. Again, a lot of great advice. I am going to miss TOTV when I get back home. This site has been so helpful on so many decisions I have had to make.

The good news is that you don't have to miss TOTV when you get back home. You can take us with you.
You can access the website all year long to keep up with the exciting happenings and all the TOTV debates!
It's a great way to stay in touch!
Old 02-05-2015, 10:20 AM
Default Totv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post

The good news is that you don't have to miss TOTV when you get back home. You can take us with you.
You can access the website all year long to keep up with the exciting happenings and all the TOTV debates!
It's a great way to stay in touch!

Yes, you are right. And you never know, once my husband decides to really retire, we may just come back. Besides my little VA hometown, this is the most beautiful place I have ever lived!!!
Old 02-05-2015, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachx4me View Post
Yes, you are right. And you never know, once my husband decides to really retire, we may just come back. Besides my little VA hometown, this is the most beautiful place I have ever lived!!!
I used to think that about the beautiful farms and well kept homes in Ohio up until they took the picture for my ID in The Villages and I felt that little "sting" on my neck.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.