Reasons for leaving The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-30-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
We are snowbirds but spend more of time in TV, as the tax advantage to being Florida residents is very compelling. Originally thought we we would be fulltime in TV as didn't think we could afford 2 places. Found out we could do both as Florida is very inexpensive, and we downsized up here. The Villages is pretty much what we thought it would be, but we came on vacations for 4 years or so before retiring and moving down.

I think some people don't give it enough time to get settled in and find their niches. It takes time to make good friends. Some people are just not good movers and need the familiar. I think those are the ones who move back, especially the ones whose families are close and concentrated in the home area they came from. If you think this might be you, my advice would be to look seriously into snowbirding, but at the same time give it an honest chance and delve in to what appealed to you here in the first place.

I've seen some short term snowbirds and snowflakes simply treat TV time as a vacation and not seeming to get involved with neighbors or activities, especially if they mostly visit at the same time as their friends from their hometown. To each his own, I guess, but what happens when some/all of their friends stop coming as their age and health problems mount?

We would have been ok being frogs, as we are both joiners, but glad we have the opportunity to come back north in the summer. We like all the cultural stuff and other opportunities in Columbus and surrounds, and also expect to do some northern traveling from time to time, although I think travel will lesson as we age.

I know several who have moved out. Reasons:
- don't golf and cheaper to have a big home with a bigger lot outside The Villages (this couple moved to Citrus Hills).
- single woman who has children in various locations, has mostly couple friends and was bored, but didn't seem to me to make an effort to get to know other singles (TV was her 2nd retirement move, not her last).
- life revolves around the grandchildren (who then turn 12 or 13 and move on quickly to their own lives).

I've also met widows, who originally moved to TV with their husbands, who were pressured to move back near their families and didn't, and are glad they stayed in TV. They just do more here than would if they'd moved back. Of course, some are happier back with families. Know thyself.

I just think back to my Mom's later years, and parents of others I know, and don't want to repeat the lifestyle of sitting around all winter glued to the TV and concerned about falling on ice or snow when they do venture out. Yes, there are things to do everywhere, but it is easier to do most of them in TV, and also to try new things. I think our kids are grateful that we have a life other than them, although I know this can change as we age.

In our condo here in Ohio, have met a neighbor who spent the first 14 years of their retirement as RV snowbirds (winters in Florida, summers traveling) and the last 4 or 5 (after the driving and travel got to be difficult) spending summers near family in a condo. Now she's alone - husband died last fall - and has truly wonderful retirement memories. No regrets. I think that some people, certainly not all, look back when they are in their 80s and wish they had had more adventure and now feel it is too late.

Think hard about all the scenarios that might happen, and have some backup plans, but live your life - at least that's my HO.
I totally agree with your post. Great insight. Home takes some getting used to. My husband moved me to our current location in PA over 9 years ago from my lifelong home on the Jersey Shore and this never has felt like home to me, just the place we live. We have vacationed and spent many weeks at a time in the French Quarter and I always cry when I get there and cry when I leave because that feels as much like home to me as NJ does. When we had our LSV I was very impressed with TV and felt like it could also be home for us so we decided to buy a home (which we did). I am hoping when we actually move in those feelings of 'being home' will happen for us in TV also. I think some places just feel right and some don't. I'm betting on it happening for us. That's why we bought our home (keep your fingers crossed for me!).
Old 07-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post

A reverse question which I will ask again...........can "non joiners" as people have called them.........really find happiness in TV? What about living each day, one day at a time, without running from club to club? What about the people from small mountain towns. Those who are the creative type who enjoy activities in small doses, not "round the clock" busyness?
SC, I know you've asked this question before, here is just one humble opinion.

There are many "non joiners" happily living in The Villages. There is some busyness at the Rec Centers, in the Town Squares and at the Shopping Plazas. And many people thrive on the activities. But also, there is a lot of serenity within the neighborhoods themselves.

People from small mountain towns might want to consider a smaller home on a view lot over a large home with kissing lanai's. We came from a rural area. We enjoy golf, the town squares and the activities offered by The Villages lifestyle. But we love returning to our home. We spend a lot of relaxing time in our birdcage reading and watching the birds on the ponds.

I think that older, established neighborhoods are probably quieter than the new areas south of 466A, which have a lot of young retirees looking for new adventures.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:21 AM
Sage

Guys:
Small towns and mountain towns do have people to befriend, as well as community activities if one wanted to join in ..........really they do. Along with their beautiful vistas and views plus deep cool forests, they really have plenty of things to do, both solitary and with a group or just one good friend

Not looking for a small mountain town - looking for all The Villages offers in a mountain
town. My husband and I are not joiners and don't engage in clubs and the only activity we regularly participate in is golf; however, we do so with a great group of folks and enjoy going to different places for breakfast. I am referring to the way the grounds are so beautifully landscaped and maintained and the convenience of nearby shopping, doctors and restaurants. And the fact that The Villages offers so much it attracts a very interesting group of people.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Guys:
Small towns and mountain towns do have people to befriend, as well as community activities if one wanted to join in ..........really they do. Along with their beautiful vistas and views plus deep cool forests, they really have plenty of things to do, both solitary and with a group or just one good friend

Not looking for a small mountain town - looking for all The Villages offers in a mountain
town. My husband and I are not joiners and don't engage in clubs and the only activity we regularly participate in is golf; however, we do so with a great group of folks and enjoy going to different places for breakfast. I am referring to the way the grounds are so beautifully landscaped and maintained and the convenience of nearby shopping, doctors and restaurants. And the fact that The Villages offers so much it attracts a very interesting group of people.
I agree with Gomoho, who I have never met in person and who I consider a friend and also with Barefoot who I do know but don't see enough. I love the opportunity to go and paint with others quietly at the Art Studios, walk around the room and see what others are doing, work on my own panting, get a little help from people better than me and enjoy looking at their projects.

I like the comfortable folks who I see regularly in my golf groups and in my neighborhood and I love gathering them to feed them now and then and listening to what they have to say. I am seeing after five plus years here that people gather according to how comfortable they are with others views and that frequently means political views. This is the FIRST time that has happened in my life, because I never thought about politics, but now it seems to mean more, like a whole philosophy of living and we seek the comfortable acceptance of like minded people frequently at this age.

Age means less than anything in friends groups I have found and many like me kind of enjoy pulling their home and the people who live in it close around them and enjoy the serenity at the end of the day. I have partied with the best of them, enjoyed being young and lovely and alcohol fueled, but now not so much.

We are all different, but there are so many of us that we can find our comfortable group here.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-24-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:08 AM

Beautiful picture and thoughts from the heart....Thanks for sharing Gracie. Although I have never met you, your thoughts helped me immensely when I first arrived in TV. Always enjoy your comments!
Old 07-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Default Why Not Have Both

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
I have only been here for 3 weeks but, for me, it would be "I miss what was and am not yet used to what is". I truly like TV but I can understand wanting to go back home. I think my roots will always be NY.
We love TV. Finally after three years as six month snow birds we got it right. Not to say this is for everyone but it definitely worked for us... Downsize up north and downsize in TV. 1100 sq ft, 2/2 up north and in TV. Two houses each with lower cost. Don't need a 2000 sq ft designer home with a 200 sq ft foyer for only six months a year. we feel we hv the best of both worlds now. MCO (orlando airport) an hour away with lots of less than $100.00 nonstop flights. Leave a car up north and a car here. Perfect for us. Oh and we kept our primary doctors up there too.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Default Good 3rd Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemorc View Post
We have been here for six years now, and we are seriously considering leaving. Reasons for leaving:
1. TV has just gotten too big for it's own britches. The infrastructure is too small to handle the traffic.
2. Our lifestyles have changed. TV moves to a much more hastened pace. The people don't seem to be as friendly. The developer's presence is greatly felt more than ever before.
3. The last reason, I am a golfer. I am a priority member. We have eleven courses to play, and until three weeks ago, not one of them compared to a decent municipal course in Michigan. Anyone who has played off the reservation, knows what I mean. Until Golf management Solutions realizes that course conditions are more important than rounds being played, we will never have quality golf.

We will not be leaving north central Florida. We are just seeking a softer, hassle free environment.
I am and have been an avid golfer too. They better do something and I have no idea because I am not in the business. Concrete fairways, hard greens and sand traps machined every third or forth day... reconsidering value of priority membership. I hope decision makers in golf course management read TOTV. And no I have not called or written them... I they don't realize the poor conditions they shd not be in the business
Old 07-09-2013, 05:57 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-30-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.