Rental storage units

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2009, 08:03 AM
Sage
Default Rental storage units

We need to store a few things when we get to TV. Our present home in TV is too small and busting at the seams with stuff. Would appreciate the name of a rental storage unit near The Villages. I dont think there is one in TV is there? Many thanks!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Veteran member

There is a place called Fort Knox located on Rolling Aces Rd. between Best Buy and TV Woodworking shop / club. Not sure how secure as others have mentioned that the main gate is always open.

Something to consider is do you need the unit climate controlled?
Old 08-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Veteran member

There is a storage facility right across the street from Bargains and Treasures by 466. It is on same side as Super Walmart and very close to it.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Default Storage

This is called VILLAGE self storage but does not belong to The Villages. We store our RV there and it is very secure with gates that you need a code for it to open. When the Villages RV storage was broken into we did not have any problems. They have many units that are very new looking and clean. Can rent with AIR if you need that for your Antiques or clothes.
Congratulations on selling your home and nice to have a fellow Antique collector that has filled her home. I wish I could add on!!!
Old 08-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Eternal Member

There's one next to Walmart on 466 near the intersection of 301 & 366. I keep my motorhome there, and we have a 5x10 not climate controlled unit as well. The 5x10 room is aout $50 / mo. The unit is secure, with a gated entrance. I'm happy with them.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Sage

A dumpster is cheaper!
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 08-02-2009, 06:56 AM
Founder

Lots of experience here.

Oxford storage on route 301: I stored my motorcycle trailer there. It was blocked in almost every time I went to get it. They always had to move something for me to get to it. When I asked at the front desk what I should do if there is no one there to move the blocking vehicle, the woman rolled her eyes and said, "....the mentality of you people." That was the last day for them.

Billie's storage on route 27 near 42: Their gate is open and accessible until 8 p.m. Then it closes automatically at 8 p.m. Whatever dumb ass happens to still be inside the fence at his storage unit at 8:01, gets locked in for the night. No way to get out. No phone. No key pad. No number to call. Don't ask me how I know.

Fort Knox: As mentioned above, the gate is always open. No chance of getting locked in here. But a good chance for somebody to come in and mess with your stuff. They said the gate controller gets hit by lightening so they quit replacing it. They said they always keep an eye on who comes and goes. Well, I came and went a dozen times and nobody.....that's NOBODY ever asked me if I was stealing the trailer that I was towing out of there.

Villages Storage route 466 and 301: Nice people, secure storage, reasonable price, easy to get to, key pad works, managers live on site. No problems to report by this dumb ass.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,515 Times in 1,913 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

How much does that one cost TH???

I think I am gonna need a dozen. sigh.

VERY good question Nonie my love!
Old 08-02-2009, 12:57 PM

Is PODS an option in the villages for low frequency visits to the storage unit
Old 08-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Founder

PODS pose an interesting problem in Florida. High temperature + High Humidity + No air conditioning inside the POD and no ventilation = mold and mildew.

Otherwise good to go.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:10 AM
Veteran member

I hope I can compose this question where it makes sense. I will be renting a villa in TV for a month, or two or three in October while
I search for a home. The answer is probably right in front of me but I dont see it hehe! I am auctioning and giving away just about everything, but will be bringing down some things, not furniture persay, but everday essentials, clothes, sentimental things etc. I am thinking of getting a POD, but I cant have it sit in TV while I am renting, do I have them deliver it to the storage place while we are driving down? Or put it in storage here in NY then have my son put it in a POD when I find a home? I am so confused on this issue.
I am open to any ideas and suggestions! Thank you!!
Jeanne
Old 08-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Dancing Thyme

Morning, Jeanne, I don't think you can keep a POD on the village property for any more than 24 hours (at least that's what I've seen), I'd have them deliver the POD to the storage place but I'd put essentials, if you can fit them, into your car for convenience sake.

I had a storage unit that I rented for about 6 months prior to getting here where I had dishes, knickknacks, books, misc items, stored until I got here. Nothing happened to those items in that time and the unit was not a/c or heated, it was just a shed type. Not very sophisticated.

Be sure to pack in your car all the doggie things, all meds for them and for you, your personal items that you'll need during the time until your house closes. I also put much of my major paperwork in the car so that I had them handy...(shhhhhh, but I also drove my plants cross country in the car cause the movers wouldn't take them...) they survived beautifully, some were orchids and they are doing great.

Personally, I would fill the POD, ship it here to the storage area, not leave anything in NY for your son to pack (you know how son's are), and as soon as you close on a home, you can have the POD delivered to the new house and unpack it in a few days.

Does that help?? I hope so. Call me if you wanna talk more... I know how hard it is for a single woman to do all this by themselves, its a tough transition but think about all the happy times we'll have later..!!! Good luck!!

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 08-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneBeannie View Post
I hope I can compose this question where it makes sense. I will be renting a villa in TV for a month, or two or three in October while
I search for a home. The answer is probably right in front of me but I don't see it hehe! I am auctioning and giving away just about everything, but will be bringing down some things, not furniture persay, but ever day essentials, clothes, sentimental things etc. I am thinking of getting a POD, but I cant have it sit in TV while I am renting, do I have them deliver it to the storage place while we are driving down? Or put it in storage here in NY then have my son put it in a POD when I find a home? I am so confused on this issue.
I am open to any ideas and suggestions! Thank you!! :bow down::bow down:
Jeanne
Jeanne:

I am doing my homework now for our 2010 transformation to FROG's. If you go the POD route they can store it at their local warehouse for you until you are ready to accept it's delivery to you home. I don't remember the charge for storage and I think the local depot is either on Ocala or Leesburg.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelZ View Post
Jeanne:

I am doing my homework now for our 2010 transformation to FROG's. If you go the POD route they can store it at their local warehouse for you until you are ready to accept it's delivery to you home. I don't remember the charge for storage and I think the local depot is either on Ocala or Leesburg.
From what I've read/heard, this is a good way to go if using POD. Just let them store your POD in their nearby warehouse and then deliver to your new home when you are ready. I believe I read where all their warehouses are climate controlled. Not sure of the cost of storing your POD at their warehouse, but it seems like it might be cheaper in the long run to have them handle the POD from start to finish rather than storing the POD in another storage unit somewhere else and then have them come back again to do the delivery on it.

As others have said, I would pack any important papers or other things you will be needing in the car and not pack in the POD.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Veteran member

Thank you so much Kathie, Melz and Betty for your great advice!! I am so glad I asked, I feel much better. I will call PODS first thing in the morning and start loading up and definitely will not leave it in NY. These buyers have been making me jump thru hoops for weeks , so I havnt been able to concentrate on what is important...my move to TV!! .
But I am getting closer and closer .
Thank you all so much!!
Jeanne
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.