Rented a golf cart but can't find anywhere to insure it for 1 week.

Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2023, 02:05 PM

Check with your insurer. We are covered by USAA and I had the same question. USAA's coverage extends to rented or borrowed vehicles, and they have a list of the types of vehicles coverage is extended to...among other types (RVs, small moving vans, etc), "golf carts" and other low speed vehicles. As long as you are borrowing or renting within the USA, you would be covered according to their phone representative. I'm sure every company is different, so definitely call yours...
Old 05-05-2023, 04:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,727 Times in 984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFlank View Post
Check with your insurer. We are covered by USAA and I had the same question. USAA's coverage extends to rented or borrowed vehicles, and they have a list of the types of vehicles coverage is extended to...among other types (RVs, small moving vans, etc), "golf carts" and other low speed vehicles. As long as you are borrowing or renting within the USA, you would be covered according to their phone representative. I'm sure every company is different, so definitely call yours...
I'm not surprised to hear that USAA covers this. They are a great company. Unfortunately for many of us, they won't insure us because their focus is military personnel. I have a pile driven dock on a lake in NY State. There is some risk of ice damage in harsh winters. The only people I know who were able to get coverage against ice damage are retired military, through USAA.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:36 PM

Ask your Credit Card provider. They insure rented cars all the time.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:54 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,363 Times in 622 Posts

We rented our first few months in the Villages and a cart was included in the rental. However, the landlord had us sign a rider that said we were responsible for any accident involving the cart. It sounded like if we were at a light and were rear-ended that we would be responsible for the damage to his cart!

I spent several days trying to get insurance on the rental and couldn’t get it because I didn’t own it. I asked the landlord to insure it and told him that I would pay for the three months of coverage. It was under $200 a year. After I moved out, I told him he could charge his other tenants for the insurance coverage so it wouldn’t cost him a penny. He refused to take out the policy so we didn’t use the cart the entire three months.
Old 05-06-2023, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,984 Times in 1,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
We rented our first few months in the Villages and a cart was included in the rental. However, the landlord had us sign a rider that said we were responsible for any accident involving the cart. It sounded like if we were at a light and were rear-ended that we would be responsible for the damage to his cart!

I spent several days trying to get insurance on the rental and couldn’t get it because I didn’t own it. I asked the landlord to insure it and told him that I would pay for the three months of coverage. It was under $200 a year. After I moved out, I told him he could charge his other tenants for the insurance coverage so it wouldn’t cost him a penny. He refused to take out the policy so we didn’t use the cart the entire three months.
Some winters when I’m away I rent out my home , I don’t own a golf cart , but I didn’t even want a rental in my garage , liability always concerned me , so I always said no carts , but in a few of my homes they did get a nice golf course view .
Old 05-06-2023, 08:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I'm not surprised to hear that USAA covers this. They are a great company. Unfortunately for many of us, they won't insure us because their focus is military personnel. I have a pile driven dock on a lake in NY State. There is some risk of ice damage in harsh winters. The only people I know who were able to get coverage against ice damage are retired military, through USAA.
We have a pile driven dock as well. We have a replacement value clause on the homeowners insurance via Erie for this purpose.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 05-06-2023, 08:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn0wheremann View Post
When we rented the first year we came here we ‘bought’ the cart for the going price, paid $1 down, with the stipulation that we could return the cart within the rental period for a full refund of the ‘purchase price’ if we were ‘dissatisfied’ with it. The rent for the cart was in the rent for the house. Then we insured ‘our newly purchased’ cart. We of course returned the cart at the end of our house rental period. I don’t remember if we got our $1 back, but that has never been a concern.
^ This sounds like an outstanding solution. As long as there is a spoken, non-binding understanding (wink-wink-nudge-nudge) that the renters always intend to find the golf cart unsatisfactory by the end of the rental period and they don't ACTUALLY try to buy it.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 05-06-2023, 08:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,363 Times in 622 Posts

Here's a discussion from five years ago. Seems like nothing has been resolved!

Golf cart insurance available for renters?
Closed Thread

Tags
rented, week, insurance, golf, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.