Replacing a Carrier Heat Pump in Pennecamp

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2022, 09:20 AM
Veteran member
Default Replacing a Carrier Heat Pump in Pennecamp

Our CBS Courtyard Villa (Foxglove - 1431 sq ft) came with a 2009 Carrier heat pump. We may get a few more years out of it but, like me, it groans when starting, is noisy when running and seems to cycle a lot. Munn's maintains it and has not suggested replacement.

My concern is a potential failure at the height of summer and possibly a lengthy delay replacing it given current overall supply chain issues.

My thinking is to line up the right brand, size and model for installation this winter.

Both heat pump and air conditioners in our prior homes in Pennsylvania were Trane units which worked very well but I don't see many Trane units here.

I am doing my own due diligence but would like to hear from the community.

Question #1: For those who have replaced their Carrier, how many years did you get out of it before you had to replace it??

Question #2: What brand, model and size did you get to replace the original one for your size home?

Question #3: Evaluation of Installation and follow up service by Sunshine, Munns (etc.)

Any and all tips, cautions, opinions, etc. would be welcomed!!
Old 07-01-2022, 09:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,143 Times in 817 Posts

Can't help you much but coming up in July I'm having Munn's at the house for the first time for an annual check-up
I have a list of concerns also and will be following the technician around like ugly and an ape.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,811 Times in 5,294 Posts

I would get 3 quotes for replacement, but I would buy a Carrier system from Munn's as long as their price is within range. You will get at least a 5-year warranty for parts and labor, and Munn's is very dependable for doing repairs, even on weekends. Chuck Farrell gets good reviews and sells Trane systems or a Trane system with a different name. But, I don't think they are as accessible as Munn's when you need them. When you call, you often get a voicemail. If you are ready for a new system, I don't see any reason to wait until winter.

As far as size, you probably have a 2.5 ton unit for a 1421SF CYV, which is pretty standard. If you don't know the size, write down the Model number and go to the Carrier website.

Personally, I don't pay for a maintenance service, and I think you could skip it for a new system that is under full warranty.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,811 Times in 5,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Can't help you much but coming up in July I'm having Munn's at the house for the first time for an annual check-up
I have a list of concerns also and will be following the technician around like ugly and an ape.
One thing I would suggest is that you ask them to test the electronic float switch in the pan under the evaporator coil. I don't know if that is something they normally do, but it is important that it is operating to prevent flooding if the condensate drain gets clogged.
Old 07-01-2022, 04:04 PM
Veteran member

We replaced our 12 yr old Carrier this March because our technician told us we had a refrigerant leak in the line set under the house. He told us that it would be between $1500-2000 to replace, so we decided to bite the bullet and replace the whole unit, assuming it probably had a couple of years left. We decided on a Mitsubishi ducted unit. It's an inverter type unit, and was substancially less expensive than the similar Carrier inverter (we qualified for a first responder rebate). It also has a 12 yr parts warranty. It's still a small sample size, but our electricity usage is down about 15-20% from the same period the last 2 years. Our house is a touch larger than yours, and it's a 27000-30000 BTU,18 SEER unit, and we got it from M+S Air

Last edited by laryb; 07-01-2022 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,986 Times in 2,490 Posts

IMO The groans you hear probably just the fan start up. IMO it’s going to cycle on and off when it 90 plus. If it’s cooling the the house it’s good. Seems to me A/C scheme going the way of roofs, replacing something that’s not broke, but just old. But, saving few cents or dollar or two month on new unit piece of mind. don’t think the new unit won’t have problems or break downs. IMO they don’t make them like they use too. But, that’s me.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:30 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,983 Times in 760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
Our CBS Courtyard Villa (Foxglove - 1431 sq ft) came with a 2009 Carrier heat pump. We may get a few more years out of it but, like me, it groans when starting, is noisy when running and seems to cycle a lot. Munn's maintains it and has not suggested replacement.

My concern is a potential failure at the height of summer and possibly a lengthy delay replacing it given current overall supply chain issues.

My thinking is to line up the right brand, size and model for installation this winter.

Both heat pump and air conditioners in our prior homes in Pennsylvania were Trane units which worked very well but I don't see many Trane units here.

Question #1: For those who have replaced their Carrier, how many years did you get out of it before you had to replace it??

Question #2: What brand, model and size did you get to replace the original one for your size home?

Question #3: Evaluation of Installation and follow up service by Sunshine, Munns (etc.)

How cool should my house be if it's 100° outside? The majority of air conditioning units are designed to only cool the air about 20 degrees from the outside temperature. If the temperatures outside are approaching triple digits, you should set your thermostat at about 78°.
Old 07-02-2022, 04:14 PM
Platinum member

Have a lot of good questions and you might get a lot of good but different answers. To me most important ? was availabity. We had our system replaced last year and there were not supply issues. My biggest problem is that there are TOO many choices. It was installed 2 days after getting the estimate from Mid Fl. AC
Old 07-02-2022, 04:50 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,770 Times in 760 Posts

[QUOTE=Sandy and Ed;2111897]Our CBS Courtyard Villa (Foxglove - 1431 sq ft) came with a 2009 Carrier heat pump. We may get a few more years out of it but, like me, it groans when starting, is noisy when running and seems to cycle a lot. Munn's maintains it and has not suggested replacement.

We just went through VERY similar but not exactly your scenario. Large designer model we built in 2002. Trane unit. Still running last fall but "feared" would fail this summer (and it sure is a HOT one isn't it !) and would be a long delay to get a date for installation. Had trouble finding a Trane dealer. Were residents of the area before retiring to the villages, so started out fairly certain we would go with Chuck Ferrell do to their long reputation for honesty, and the fact that they were always there with in an hour if something came up with our Trane (which they did NOT install, it was a villages contractor who did the house). We only had two incidents with the Trane (which I mentioned was still running, loudly, after 22 years), neither turned out to be serious, and Chuck's employees assured us it was nothing serious, just age, and never once mentioned purchasing a new unit. We expressed to them that we'd like to replace even though it did not need any repairs !

We had never heard of the brand of unit we finally settled on, but there are only 2, maybe 3, manufacturers, so you can save a LOT of money, even a couple K's, by not buying a "name", so we did not replace with a Trane (but our unit was probably made by Trane, or Carrier !) The professionalism of their installation employees (long time employees) was amazing ! Personable, polite, all business, it was clear they really knew their field. Entire process in a day (and we had some extra things done in relation to how we wanted a condensation line changes and some other things, but all "extras" were OUR requests, nothing was suggested to us in the was of "add ons", and absolutely no pressure (like the most popular one in the Villages) to sign up for some kind of annual service contract. If YOU ask, they will explain what they offer, but much different from the line we got from the other's we had give estimates. We are not related to anyone in the business, and not personal friends, but since we were central Florida residents, we did have an advantage over people who move here from other states, we knew a bit about the business which is in the little town of Fruitland Park. Will add, the difference in EFFICIENCY in the new unit (which is NOT the highest rated seer) compared to the 22 year old Trane..... is ASTRONOMICAL ! Glad we didn't try to make it through one more summer with the kinds of bills racked up by that old unit !
Old 07-02-2022, 04:54 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,770 Times in 760 Posts

[QUOTE=Sandy and Ed;2111897]Our CBS Courtyard Villa (Foxglove - 1431 sq ft) came with a 2009 Carrier heat pump. We may get a few more years out of it but, like me, it groans when starting, is noisy when running and seems to cycle a lot. Munn's maintains it and has not suggested replacement.

We just went through VERY similar but not exactly your scenario. Large designer model we built in 2002. Trane unit. Still running last fall but "feared" would fail this summer (and it sure is a HOT one isn't it !) and would be a long delay to get a date for installation. Had trouble finding a Trane dealer. Were residents of the area before retiring to the villages, so started out fairly certain we would go with Chuck Farrell due to their long reputation for honesty, and the fact that they were always there with in an hour if something came up with our Trane (which they did NOT install, it was a villages contractor who did the house). We only had two incidents with the Trane (which I mentioned was still running, loudly, after 22 years), neither turned out to be serious, and Chuck's employees assured us it was nothing serious, just age, and never once mentioned purchasing a new unit. We expressed to them that we'd like to replace even though it did not need any repairs !

We had never heard of the brand of unit we finally settled on, but there are only 2, maybe 3, manufacturers, so you can save a LOT of money, even a couple K's, by not buying a "name", so we did not replace with a Trane (but our unit was probably made by Trane, or Carrier !) The professionalism of their installation employees (long time employees) was amazing ! Personable, polite, all business, it was clear they really knew their field. Entire process in a day (and we had some extra things done in relation to how we wanted a condensation line changes and some other things, but all "extras" were OUR requests, nothing was suggested to us in the was of "add ons", and absolutely no pressure (like the most popular one in the Villages) to sign up for some kind of annual service contract. If YOU ask, they will explain what they offer, but much different from the line we got from the other's we had give estimates. We are not related to anyone in the business, and not personal friends, but since we were central Florida residents, we did have an advantage over people who move here from other states, we knew a bit about the business which is in the little town of Fruitland Park. Will add, the difference in EFFICIENCY in the new unit (which is NOT the highest rated seer) compared to the 22 year old Trane..... is ASTRONOMICAL ! Glad we didn't try to make it through one more summer with the kinds of bills racked up by that old unit !

Last edited by Pairadocs; 07-02-2022 at 05:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-03-2022, 08:41 AM

The most common failure is due to a blown capacitor. They are easy to replace and every AC owner should have one in stock at home. Getting one in advance of a failure will set you back $15-$30 and save time and money. Cheapest insurance you will ever get. Check YouTube for easy to follow instructions
Old 07-03-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post

Sun Kool is the best - have used on two homes - call them out for an estimate and have them answer your questions - we replaced a 3 ton with a 3 1/2 ton and two stage which is GREAT!! Ours is also a 19 seer which is out of this world.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I think you have the right idea. Assuming you will only buy a replacement once in your remaining use of the home why not buy it now.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:59 AM

We just recently replaced our whole HVAC system with the new Trane XV outside unit and then the Trane compatible air handler inside unit. Since you are concerned about noise, you will rarely hear the outside unit, or the inside unit run. There is night and day difference in what the builder put in here in TV. DeSantis did ours. Top notch!
Old 07-03-2022, 05:42 PM

If you do decide to replace your HVAC system, can I have your old one. I can use the parts to help my friends and neighbors repair their systems. We can't all afford to dish out $7000 to replace an old HVAC unit. You would be helping the community and in the future you can call on me to help troubleshoot any new problems that may arise. Thank you.
Closed Thread

Tags
question, carrier, heat, pump, size

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.