Replacing a Carrier Heat Pump in Pennecamp

Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2022, 06:58 AM
Default Heat Pump replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
Our CBS Courtyard Villa (Foxglove - 1431 sq ft) came with a 2009 Carrier heat pump. We may get a few more years out of it but, like me, it groans when starting, is noisy when running and seems to cycle a lot. Munn's maintains it and has not suggested replacement.

My concern is a potential failure at the height of summer and possibly a lengthy delay replacing it given current overall supply chain issues.

My thinking is to line up the right brand, size and model for installation this winter.

Both heat pump and air conditioners in our prior homes in Pennsylvania were Trane units which worked very well but I don't see many Trane units here.

I am doing my own due diligence but would like to hear from the community.

Question #1: For those who have replaced their Carrier, how many years did you get out of it before you had to replace it??

Question #2: What brand, model and size did you get to replace the original one for your size home?

Question #3: Evaluation of Installation and follow up service by Sunshine, Munns (etc.)

Any and all tips, cautions, opinions, etc. would be welcomed!!
You’ve got your moneys worth out of it, time for a new one. If you can, go for the highest SEER rated unit you can, it will save the cost of the entire unit over the life of the unit. SEER stands for “Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio”. In the USA a SEER rating of 14 is the lowest rating that can be sold. SEERS OF 16 and 19 are much better, but you’ll have sticker shock. The higher the SEER the quieter they usually are as well, and you get better product warranties.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:22 AM

Just outside TV, the Rheem in our 25 yr. old home (1,800 sq. ft.) is capable of freezing us at 73. I'm getting bids, and an experienced HVAC guy told me that Lennox and Carrier are the best two brands.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by taruffi57 View Post
Just outside TV, the Rheem in our 25 yr. old home (1,800 sq. ft.) is capable of freezing us at 73. I'm getting bids, and an experienced HVAC guy told me that Lennox and Carrier are the best two brands.
I had different people that told me that some Air Conditioners that business sell or service Air Conditioners cost as much as 15 to $20,000. yes I think they’re ripping people but they know how hot it is out some will pay it. My daughter was told that but some guy fix there’s for $1,500. the other guy said it would cost $5,000. Like someone else said usually it’s the capacitor. I had to have one changed but cost $80.00 for capacitor & $100. for insulation. Very easy to change, takes about 15 mins. to change! Like everything else everything is getting to expensive & service tech’s know this & they’re taking advantage of it.
Old 07-04-2022, 09:21 AM
Veteran member

It takes them 15 minutes after 2 years of training and years of experience. I suppose when you were working you were happy giving away your expertise cheap. I have found most of the companies around here to be honest and fair
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 07-04-2022, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJBeck View Post
You’ve got your moneys worth out of it, time for a new one. If you can, go for the highest SEER rated unit you can, it will save the cost of the entire unit over the life of the unit. SEER stands for “Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio”. In the USA a SEER rating of 14 is the lowest rating that can be sold. SEERS OF 16 and 19 are much better, but you’ll have sticker shock. The higher the SEER the quieter they usually are as well, and you get better product warranties.

While a high SEER unit will definitely save electric billl somewhat I wonder how many years it will take to recoup the price difference? Don't forget, people around here aren't likely to be around for "the life of the (new) unit".

Of course it depends on how much electric you use but my computed SECO AVERAGE bill for 2021 was $1651/12=137.58 (2/2 1200 sq ft) with 2 highest months around $280. We keep temp at 78 all day and 71 between midnight and 7:30am. We still have the original 14 SEER circa 2009 Carrier unit that was here when we moved in in 2017. I have changed the compressor capacitor 3 times in close to 6 years and the AH capacitor 1 time at about $10 or less each and it's still going strong (KNOCK WOOD, PLASTIC METAL and anything else around). How much could I REALLY save with a super high efficiency model (other than what the salesmen tell you). I'm 75. I believe I'll be pushing up daisies before the savings is covered. No, I don't care about the next owners whoever they are. Sometimes I think the SEER rating is just a bit overplayed simply to sell a more expensive system. Kind of like the EPA mileage ratings of a vehicle. Even if I saved 20% ($330) over a year I can't see the reason to invest a couple of thousand more up front.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,038 Times in 5,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
While a high SEER unit will definitely save electric billl somewhat I wonder how many years it will take to recoup the price difference? Don't forget, people around here aren't likely to be around for "the life of the (new) unit".

Of course it depends on how much electric you use but my computed SECO AVERAGE bill for 2021 was $1651/12=137.58 (2/2 1200 sq ft) with 2 highest months around $280. We keep temp at 78 all day and 71 between midnight and 7:30am. We still have the original 14 SEER circa 2009 Carrier unit that was here when we moved in in 2017. I have changed the compressor capacitor 3 times in close to 6 years and the AH capacitor 1 time at about $10 or less each and it's still going strong (KNOCK WOOD, PLASTIC METAL and anything else around). How much could I REALLY save with a super high efficiency model (other than what the salesmen tell you). I'm 75. I believe I'll be pushing up daisies before the savings is covered. No, I don't care about the next owners whoever they are. Sometimes I think the SEER rating is just a bit overplayed simply to sell a more expensive system. Kind of like the EPA mileage ratings of a vehicle. Even if I saved 20% ($330) over a year I can't see the reason to invest a couple of thousand more up front.
I agree. Note that the Federal requirement for heat pumps in Florida will increase the minimum SEER rating from 14 to 15 on January 1, 2023. So, if you want to save money, you may still be able to buy an SEER 14 unit in 2022. It may save you about $1,000 or so in initial cost. Personally, I would go with the SEER 15 unit since they are changing the standard. But, I wouldn't buy a more efficient unit than that, and I wouldn't buy a multi-stage compressor that some people are talked into buying. Hopefully, there won't be a supply shortage for the SEER 15 units when the new standard goes into effect.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree. Note that the Federal requirement for heat pumps in Florida will increase the minimum SEER rating from 14 to 15 on January 1, 2023. So, if you want to save money, you may still be able to buy an SEER 14 unit in 2022.
Interesting. So what will happen to all the SEER 14 systems dealers & manufacturers have in inventory? Maybe some good deals coming in OCT-DEC or maybe they will be permitted to sell existing inventory but not manufacture any more?
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Interesting. So what will happen to all the SEER 14 systems dealers & manufacturers have in inventory? Maybe some good deals coming in OCT-DEC or maybe they will be permitted to sell existing inventory but not manufacture any more?
As I understand it, the SEER 15 requirement is for the warmer climate states, so they can still use SEER 14 units in the North. But, they cannot use existing inventory in Florida. So, there may be some bargain pricing in 2022.
Old 07-04-2022, 12:54 PM
Sage

My previous home had a Carrier with a two speed compressor. It ran at half speed most of the time and only kicked into full speed in the late afternoon. The advantage is the system ran continuously from the mid morning to late evening so there was no cycling, which is hard on the system. It also had excellent humidity control. I agree that systems with multi-speed (or two-stage) compressors is the way to go. Our Mitsubishi mini-split for the lanai has a continuously variable speed compressor that runs between 25-100% of nominal capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjelenbaas View Post
Sun Kool is the best - have used on two homes - call them out for an estimate and have them answer your questions - we replaced a 3 ton with a 3 1/2 ton and two stage which is GREAT!! Ours is also a 19 seer which is out of this world.

Last edited by biker1; 07-04-2022 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-04-2022, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Give Ray a call from Sunshine. You'll be happy with the product, delivery time, and installation.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
My previous home had a Carrier with a two speed compressor. It ran at half speed most of the time and only kicked into full speed in the late afternoon. The advantage is the system ran continuously from the mid morning to late evening so there was no cycling, which is hard on the system. It also had excellent humidity control. I agree that systems with multi-speed (or two-stage) compressors is the way to go. Our Mitsubishi mini-split for the lanai has a continuously variable speed compressor that runs between 25-100% or nominal capacity.
Multi-stage and variable speed compressors have been available for many years, but they have never been very popular. Almost all of the HVAC systems in The Villages use an inexpensive, single speed compressor. I have never seen a study that proves that a variable speed compressor is more efficient than a single speed compressor or that it saves money, especially on a life cycle basis. Just because the compressor runs longer at a lower capacity doesn't mean that it is more efficient. I think it depends on the compressor design, the cost for electricity, and the accuracy and timing of the thermostat as to when to switch from a low to a high speed. I agree that, if the compressor runs longer, it will reduce the humidity, but I have not seen issues with high humidity in The Villages. So, personally, I would not pay the extra cost for a multi-speed or variable speed compressor.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:29 PM
Sage

You already said that in a previous post. My previous system featured 4 zones (controlled by dampers) and without a variable speed air handler and two-speed compressor it would have been a more difficult ductwork design problem. It was a large house and I wanted uniform temperature and humidity control as well as low operating costs. I think you will find that most mini-splits installed today have variable speed compressors so it really isn’t a decision point for most people installing mini splits. The incremental cost for a split system for a ducted system is small and has many advantages. There will be a cost savings since it takes a system some time to reach steady state when cycling and variable speed compressor systems cycle less. There is a good possibility that my existing ducted system will be replaced by a Mitsubishi, or similar system, featuring the same sort of continuously variable compressor as in my mini-split for the lanai, when replacement time comes. I would like to zone the house also but that would probably require redoing the ductwork. As Dalton said, opinions vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Multi-stage and variable speed compressors have been available for many years, but they have never been very popular. Almost all of the HVAC systems in The Villages use an inexpensive, single speed compressor. I have never seen a study that proves that a variable speed compressor is more efficient than a single speed compressor or that it saves money, especially on a life cycle basis. Just because the compressor runs longer at a lower capacity doesn't mean that it is more efficient. I think it depends on the compressor design, the cost for electricity, and the accuracy and timing of the thermostat as to when to switch from a low to a high speed. I agree that, if the compressor runs longer, it will reduce the humidity, but I have not seen issues with high humidity in The Villages. So, personally, I would not pay the extra cost for a multi-speed or variable speed compressor.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:10 PM
Default What is a two stage unit?

I’m curious about the two stage unit you mentioned. Is it the same as a zoned unit? Our unit in TN is zoned. Which means we have one unit with 2 thermostats. One thermostat regulates one end of the house. The other regulates the other end. We would like to do the same thing in FL. Does anyone have experience with this type of setup. Thanks
Old 07-05-2022, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
Our CBS Courtyard Villa (Foxglove - 1431 sq ft) came with a 2009 Carrier heat pump. We may get a few more years out of it but, like me, it groans when starting, is noisy when running and seems to cycle a lot. Munn's maintains it and has not suggested replacement.

My concern is a potential failure at the height of summer and possibly a lengthy delay replacing it given current overall supply chain issues.

My thinking is to line up the right brand, size and model for installation this winter.

Both heat pump and air conditioners in our prior homes in Pennsylvania were Trane units which worked very well but I don't see many Trane units here.

I am doing my own due diligence but would like to hear from the community.

Question #1: For those who have replaced their Carrier, how many years did you get out of it before you had to replace it??

Question #2: What brand, model and size did you get to replace the original one for your size home?

Question #3: Evaluation of Installation and follow up service by Sunshine, Munns (etc.)

Any and all tips, cautions, opinions, etc. would be welcomed!!
As I understand it the average life of a heat pump around here is 14 years. Re: Lenox.
I have a friend in Boyton Beach and he bought a high efficiency model and was thrilled
with his savings. The bad news. Reminder not in this area. His unit broke down.
He was told, whatever part he needed was not available. It was repaired under warranty but it took them TWO WEEKS to get the part and get it up and running.
Old 07-05-2022, 11:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
It takes them 15 minutes after 2 years of training and years of experience. I suppose when you were working you were happy giving away your expertise cheap. I have found most of the companies around here to be honest and fair
There is no shortage of people who seem to like to complain. Our CPI consumer price index is now close to 9%. It is safe to add 20% to cost two years ago. Having someone come to your home. Plumber etc safe to figure $100 to arrive then the cost of the repair.

Handy? Most repairs, you can learn how on UTube. We had a repair guy bust a sprinkler head.
I didn't even bother to ask or accuse. A quick look on UTube, I was shocked how easy it is to replace. A trip to ACE, the guy from my pictures told me exactly the replacement. I was also shocked how CHEAP the parts are. If I recall like $6.00 for all of it. Truth, on UTube it takes them five minutes. For me more like an hour. It takes time to dig out my shovel. Plus time to BRAG how easy it was to do.
Closed Thread

Tags
question, carrier, heat, pump, size

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.