Replacing a Carrier Heat Pump in Pennecamp

Closed Thread
Old 07-05-2022, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
I had different people that told me that some Air Conditioners that business sell or service Air Conditioners cost as much as 15 to $20,000. yes I think they’re ripping people but they know how hot it is out some will pay it. My daughter was told that but some guy fix there’s for $1,500. the other guy said it would cost $5,000. Like someone else said usually it’s the capacitor. I had to have one changed but cost $80.00 for capacitor & $100. for insulation. Very easy to change, takes about 15 mins. to change! Like everything else everything is getting to expensive & service tech’s know this & they’re taking advantage of it.
Everything has an expected life. For the capacitor, they are no longer allowed to use the oil filled ones. The must use new ones last about 4 years. Assuming you have your system serviced by a pro. You can have the capacitor replaced while he/she is already there and it will cost you $80. Some will say they replace it themselves. The part is roughly $20. You are messing with 220V and a capacitor. A capacitor stores current and supplies a surge of power to start the AC. Sometimes it is wise not to do it. It is a shock you will remember and may not survive.
Old 07-05-2022, 12:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
While a high SEER unit will definitely save electric billl somewhat I wonder how many years it will take to recoup the price difference? Don't forget, people around here aren't likely to be around for "the life of the (new) unit".

Of course it depends on how much electric you use but my computed SECO AVERAGE bill for 2021 was $1651/12=137.58 (2/2 1200 sq ft) with 2 highest months around $280. We keep temp at 78 all day and 71 between midnight and 7:30am. We still have the original 14 SEER circa 2009 Carrier unit that was here when we moved in in 2017. I have changed the compressor capacitor 3 times in close to 6 years and the AH capacitor 1 time at about $10 or less each and it's still going strong (KNOCK WOOD, PLASTIC METAL and anything else around). How much could I REALLY save with a super high efficiency model (other than what the salesmen tell you). I'm 75. I believe I'll be pushing up daisies before the savings is covered. No, I don't care about the next owners whoever they are. Sometimes I think the SEER rating is just a bit overplayed simply to sell a more expensive system. Kind of like the EPA mileage ratings of a vehicle. Even if I saved 20% ($330) over a year I can't see the reason to invest a couple of thousand more up front.
There is no shortage of information. Much of what people think they know comes from people interested in selling you stuff. I was impressed, perhaps reading between the lines,
the original poster asked the people who service their 13 year old system and they told them, replacing the unit is not justified.

Our builder supplied unit is a carrier and it is 9 years old. It is marked SEER 15. I expect it falls off over time. I wonder if it ever was SEER 15. I did ask a quote EXPERT. Changing to a SEER 18 roughly 15% up (14.4) would save you 10% at most. The newer units run multi speeds so can do a better job of removing humidity, a large part of air CONDITIONING.
You might be as comfortable at a higher temperature.

PARTS. Nothing lasts forever. The multispeed fan and compressor are far more expensive.
Truth our system is working WELL. Wise to have the money available that gives you options.
It is still running AND I'M STILL RUNNING. Ok TRUTH I do ride a bike. Running? Running hurdles I would need to walk around them-hope no one is looking.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would get 3 quotes for replacement, but I would buy a Carrier system from Munn's as long as their price is within range. You will get at least a 5-year warranty for parts and labor, and Munn's is very dependable for doing repairs, even on weekends. Chuck Farrell gets good reviews and sells Trane systems or a Trane system with a different name. But, I don't think they are as accessible as Munn's when you need them. When you call, you often get a voicemail. If you are ready for a new system, I don't see any reason to wait until winter.

As far as size, you probably have a 2.5 ton unit for a 1421SF CYV, which is pretty standard. If you don't know the size, write down the Model number and go to the Carrier website.

Personally, I don't pay for a maintenance service, and I think you could skip it for a new system that is under full warranty.
You’ll have to get annual service to keep warranty valid, better ask.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,755 Times in 5,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbad1 View Post
You’ll have to get annual service to keep warranty valid, better ask.
Not true. Munn's came to my house last summer and replaced a defective capacitor. It was fully covered by the 5-year parts and labor warranty. No charge. I have never had them do a maintenance service on it.
Old 07-05-2022, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,755 Times in 5,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
There is no shortage of information. Much of what people think they know comes from people interested in selling you stuff. I was impressed, perhaps reading between the lines,
the original poster asked the people who service their 13 year old system and they told them, replacing the unit is not justified.

Our builder supplied unit is a carrier and it is 9 years old. It is marked SEER 15. I expect it falls off over time. I wonder if it ever was SEER 15. I did ask a quote EXPERT. Changing to a SEER 18 roughly 15% up (14.4) would save you 10% at most. The newer units run multi speeds so can do a better job of removing humidity, a large part of air CONDITIONING.
You might be as comfortable at a higher temperature.

PARTS. Nothing lasts forever. The multispeed fan and compressor are far more expensive.
Truth our system is working WELL. Wise to have the money available that gives you options.
It is still running AND I'M STILL RUNNING. Ok TRUTH I do ride a bike. Running? Running hurdles I would need to walk around them-hope no one is looking.
It is not true that the "newer" HVAC units have multi-speed or variable speed compressors. Almost all heat pumps installed in The Villages are single-stage units. If you want a multi-speed or variable speed unit, it will cost more money. But, most people do not opt to pay extra for those units, the maintenance and repair will be more expensive, and parts may be more difficult to get. I don't think they are worth buying.

The SEER rating is mostly based on the size of the unit and the coil surface area, so the efficiency should not be reduced very much over time.
Old 07-05-2022, 05:28 PM

I have 5 hvac units I monitor here.
I installed a temp sensor in the air handler. Real blessing. All units produce about 20 to 25 degree drop in that airspace. Anything less is sign of an impending concern. I don't have to wait for anyone to sweat.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
My previous home had a Carrier with a two speed compressor. It ran at half speed most of the time and only kicked into full speed in the late afternoon. The advantage is the system ran continuously from the mid morning to late evening so there was no cycling, which is hard on the system. It also had excellent humidity control. I agree that systems with multi-speed (or two-stage) compressors is the way to go.
I don't fully buy that because most of the systems here in T.V. are single stage and have lasted many years in older homes. Don't "they" say the average A/C lifespan here is 14 years? Considering they are mostly single stage it seems they last pretty long. I don't need 25 years from my next system.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Closed Thread

Tags
question, carrier, heat, pump, size

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.