Robo call blockers

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2020, 12:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by danglanzsr View Post
The phone company does not give your number to the world unless your phone number is published in the company's phone book. Scam caller get your number by simply sequentially dialing every number in an area code. If the call is answered, it is recognized as a live number and can be sold to other scammers. Blocking robocall phone numbers is pointless. A robocaller can use a different caller id on every call by "spoofing" their phone number. The only remedy is to not answer any call that is from an unknown number. If it is a legitimate call, the caller can leave a voice mail. Robocallers do not leave voice mail.
I agree with everything you said except the one you said about listing your phone # in a phone book or a cell phone, phone book. I never ever had mine listed anywhere, but I do think they could get it when you fill out any kinds of forms. But don’t waste your time filling out the Gov. DO NOT CALL LIST, that’s worthless.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:51 PM

Get OOMA voice over IP. $79 on Amazon & then $75 for set up. After that it's $5.63 A YEAR for 911 & taxes. The clarity is amazing. You can also use your own answering system or choose to use OOMA. It's ridiculous what is charged. On your cell use "True Caller." Your landline should have "call blocking." I have a Uniden w/that option.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:55 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,284 Times in 1,427 Posts

Our land line phones allowed 60 numbers to be blocked and it filled up pretty fast. I now just don't answer the phone unless i know who it is, they only let it ring 4 times so that it doesn't go to the answering machine. We have gone from 7 to 10 per day down to 1 call every couple days and none on the weekend so I guess they only try it so many times. Cell phone is a different story, still get a lot of them on my cell.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

I have an old analog flip cell phone, so I do not have any automatic call blockers. What I did with fairly good success is to get a google voice account (free) and link it to my cell number. When I get a robocall, I go to google voice and block it, and it seems to work pretty darn good.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Our land line phones allowed 60 numbers to be blocked and it filled up pretty fast. I now just don't answer the phone unless i know who it is, they only let it ring 4 times so that it doesn't go to the answering machine. We have gone from 7 to 10 per day down to 1 call every couple days and none on the weekend so I guess they only try it so many times. Cell phone is a different story, still get a lot of them on my cell.
Are you saying the spammers or robocallers only let the phone ring four times and hang up before it goes to the answering machine?
Old 02-10-2020, 07:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmiata View Post
Any recommendations on the best one ?
I have a landline with Century Link.
I have the best blocker made. Me, I don’t answer the phone unless I recognize the calling. I let it answering machine get 9 time out of 10 they don’t leave message which tell me it wasn’t important. And I’d they do leave message I screen them.

Good luck getting them blocked. They use numbers unavailable or don’t show up.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
If you have an iPhone you can set it to ring only if the person is in your contacts list. I also created a contact named "Spammer". I have that contact blocked. Then I just add any number I don't want to that contact.
Spammers have block of hundreds of numbers. If one blocked the computer just sends out another number to call. So, unless you block hundreds of calls it won’t do much good. The company that issues blocks of numbers to scammers should be held accountable, fined, and eventually imprisonments for the CEO’s.

Plus on top of that If they get hit the sell you’re number to other scammers, it will never end.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I have an old analog flip cell phone, so I do not have any automatic call blockers. What I did with fairly good success is to get a google voice account (free) and link it to my cell number. When I get a robocall, I go to google voice and block it, and it seems to work pretty darn good.
Google one of the main sellers of you’re information, they may block calls but the dang sure don’t on the internet.
Closed Thread

Tags
robo, call, blockers, recommendations, landline

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.