Roller for Pool Cover

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza
Default Roller for Pool Cover

We recently had a pool solar cover roller installed and after about a month, one of the ends came off. The ends of the roller were not secured to the roll itself. We had T&D come and fix the problem by securing the two ends.

The other problem we have are the wheels on the bottom of the unit that are supposed keep the unit stationary when they are locked. However, when rolling up or unrolling the solar cover the roller does not stay in place and drags over the concrete anyway. We were asked by the person doing the repair if we wanted to secure the roller to the deck. Being concerned with drilling holes in the concrete, and with not being able to later move the roller to a different position, we said no. Now I wonder if we made a mistake in saying no!

My questions are:

1. Did we make a mistake and should have had the roller anchored to the deck so we wouldn't have the sliding problem?
2. What would you have decided?
3. Should we be concerned about holes drilled in the deck and their patching if later we need to move the position of the roller?
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
We recently had a pool solar cover roller installed and after about a month, one of the ends came off. The ends of the roller were not secured to the roll itself. We had T&D come and fix the problem by securing the two ends.

The other problem we have are the wheels on the bottom of the unit that are supposed keep the unit stationary when they are locked. However, when rolling up or unrolling the solar cover the roller does not stay in place and drags over the concrete anyway. We were asked by the person doing the repair if we wanted to secure the roller to the deck. Being concerned with drilling holes in the concrete, and with not being able to later move the roller to a different position, we said no. Now I wonder if we made a mistake in saying no!

My questions are:

1. Did we make a mistake and should have had the roller anchored to the deck so we wouldn't have the sliding problem?
2. What would you have decided?
3. Should we be concerned about holes drilled in the deck and their patching if later we need to move the position of the roller?
I have a pool and need solor heating and, I am told, a solor pool cover. Really interested in everyone's thoughts. I know nothing about the subject.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Gold member

We took our solar cover out of the box in Mid November. When we use the pool Dec through Feb or Mar, the cover is so easy to take off. We elected not to get a roller as it took up space and does not look good on the deck. By The end of March (hopefully sooner) it will be back in the box until November!
Old 02-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Platinum member

We are going to try "Solar Pool Rings"instead of the solar blanket. Anyone else try them ?

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 02-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Veteran member

I use a solar cover year around. Never any trouble. Keeps the pool warm and saves on chlorine if you go that route. By the Pool Supplies, Pool Equipment and Spa Supplies by In The Swim really good prices on pool supplies free shipping and usually get your shipment with in two days ck them out
Old 02-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Sage

I would not drill holes, they gave U defective unit or a crapy model.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
I would not drill holes, they gave U defective unit or a crapy model.
Thanks for answering my question Jimbo. Being what I have is what I have, how would you resolve my problem of anchoring the wondering roller unit without drilling to bolt it down into the concrete deck?
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Sage

to give you a solution other than getting a better unit that has wheels that lock.

Or what would happen is the wheels were removed?

Otherwise I would need to see a pic.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.