Roof replacement

Old 03-09-2024, 07:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,742 Times in 5,255 Posts

Do you really want your house to stand out as having the cheapest looking roof on the street? That is what will happen if you use a non-architectural shingle. The architectural shingles are designed to have a three dimensional appearance, and to hide small wavy defects in the roof sheathing.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:17 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Every Villagers gets the highest quality roofing installation for the best possible price @skylightroofingvillages

Trust is never easily earned - Skylight Roofing Villages is ensuring that our tenure and your roofing replacement experience are both built on honest business and highest quality platinum roofing replacement experiences.

Providing the BEST possible price for highest quality roofing installation; Financing is available as well if so desired.

It’s so very important in FL now due to massive liability insurance costs for crews, equipment, boom trucks, Etc that you utilize companies like SKYLIGHT ROOFING VILLAGES that fully covered in all aspects of liability; Ensuring the delivery of hardware and installation are seamless - And that the liability lands on Platinum roof installers like Skylight Roofing Villages.

Call us today for a zero-hassle free inspection or just to ask questions.

352-552-4766 or 888-520-0363

Overview and insights:

• Woman owned business
• Free estimates with no pressure
• No subcontractors
• 12-OSHA10 Crews/Supervisors.
• Full FL CGC / CCC licensed & displayed on all our equipment.
• Workmans Comp
• County Permits always applied for with 3-Inspections on each installation.
• Photo and Video log on every install
• Everyone receives “Top Grade” Architectural Shingle (No Tier-Selling)
• Platinum Preferred FL Contractor Roofing Installation In 2024.

Trusted because our loving Villages neighbors voted Skylight Roofing Villages the “Favorite Roofer in The Villages” in 2022 and 2023. We have humbly looked to achieve that same goal for best price and quality again in 2024.

352-552-4766 or 407-790-6755

The Villages - Skylight Roofing Inc.

Skylight Roofing

Sky Light Roofing, Inc. - Lady Lake, FL - Nextdoor

Sky Light Roofing Inc. Reviews | Read Customer Service Reviews of skylightroofing.com

Sky Light Roofing, INC | Roofing Contractor | Owens Corning

Sky Light Roofing, Inc. - Nextdoor https://nextdoor.com/pages/sky-light...urce=org_pages
Old 03-09-2024, 08:17 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Every Villagers gets the highest quality roofing installation for the best possible price @skylightroofingvillages

Trust is never easily earned - Skylight Roofing Villages is ensuring that our tenure and your roofing replacement experience are both built on honest business and highest quality platinum roofing replacement experiences.

Providing the BEST possible price for highest quality roofing installation; Financing is available as well if so desired.

It’s so very important in FL now due to massive liability insurance costs for crews, equipment, boom trucks, Etc that you utilize companies like SKYLIGHT ROOFING VILLAGES that fully covered in all aspects of liability; Ensuring the delivery of hardware and installation are seamless - And that the liability lands on Platinum roof installers like Skylight Roofing Villages.

Call us today for a zero-hassle free inspection or just to ask questions.

352-552-4766 or 888-520-0363

Overview and insights:

• Woman owned business
• Free estimates with no pressure
• No subcontractors
• 12-OSHA10 Crews/Supervisors.
• Full FL CGC / CCC licensed & displayed on all our equipment.
• Workmans Comp
• County Permits always applied for with 3-Inspections on each installation.
• Photo and Video log on every install
• Everyone receives “Top Grade” Architectural Shingle (No Tier-Selling)
• Platinum Preferred FL Contractor Roofing Installation In 2024.

Trusted because our loving Villages neighbors voted Skylight Roofing Villages the “Favorite Roofer in The Villages” in 2022 and 2023. We have humbly looked to achieve that same goal for best price and quality again in 2024.

352-552-4766 or 407-790-6755

The Villages - Skylight Roofing Inc.

Skylight Roofing

Sky Light Roofing, Inc. - Lady Lake, FL - Nextdoor

Sky Light Roofing Inc. Reviews | Read Customer Service Reviews of skylightroofing.com

Sky Light Roofing, INC | Roofing Contractor | Owens Corning

Sky Light Roofing, Inc. - Nextdoor https://nextdoor.com/pages/sky-light...urce=org_pages
Old 03-09-2024, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR33 View Post
You would think if roof shingles were an “issue” in this part of the country they would consider alternatives. We visited another FL retirement village over near the Gulf and all those homes had the tile roofs.
Tile roofs may be too heavy for your roof. They can also be prone to leaks if not installed correctly
Old 03-09-2024, 08:44 AM
Default Roofing

Had my roof 17 yrs inspected and still had 5 yr written review. Insurance company's would not accept. But there are a few like Kin insurance that provide a prorated insurance for the roof. They cover 30% if roof gets damaged during storm.. hey better then having to spend 100% for a roof that does not need replacing yet. They still cover house contents at 100% should roof be damaged so why spend the $$ to replace if not needed. Had roof cleaned for $500 and it looks like new.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You know it almost scary to comment because if you use the wrong word or mentioned a name on TOTV or Facebook you’ll get banned. The last time I got banned on one of the 2 I mentioned they didn’t give me the curiosity to tell me what I said so by saying that it must not been that bad so I won’t comment on this question. Sorry!
Old 03-09-2024, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I posed this question to an advertiser, and almost immediately the entire thread disappeared so let's get some other thoughts and opinions.

If the insurance companies are going to force you to replace your roof every 10 to (if you are lucky) 15 years, why would you go for the expensive long life roof shingles? I was thinking about this as an acquaintance spent several thousand dollars extra for 25 or 30 year shingles. I am thinking I would go cheap as I will either be dead or I will have saved a lot of money. I have not heard of any insurance company requirements for the QUALITY OF THE SHINGLES.

Looking forward to some inciteful discussion on this.
We installed the middle level of architectural shingles. Reviews on line stated manufacturers almost never honor the warranty, instead blaming the installer. Hardly worth paying for higher quality, longer life shingles with a “better” warranty.
Old 03-09-2024, 09:26 AM

Any Ideas what the Tesla roofs run?
Old 03-09-2024, 09:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
You know it almost scary to comment because if you use the wrong word or mentioned a name on TOTV or Facebook you’ll get banned. The last time I got banned on one of the 2 I mentioned they didn’t give me the curiosity to tell me what I said so by saying that it must not been that bad so I won’t comment on this question. Sorry!
I feel your pain sir!
I had a woman this morning questioning two posts by two different posters quoting an Alaskan tribal saying. The part that irks me is that she lumped my post into it by saying it has no place in this forum. All I pointed out to he OP is that both posted the same quote...that’s it! Feel free to check out the thread.....’Time Change’.
Tread lightly my friend!
Old 03-09-2024, 09:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrnnr View Post
Any Ideas what the Tesla roofs run?
Just a quick search......54K -76K(2000 sq.ft) and up. Crazy expensive
Old 03-09-2024, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
Our home had a 15 year old architectural shingle roof when we bought it. I expected the common response from insurance to replace it however an inspection (their choice who) determined it was good for another 5-10 years. I haven't priced roofs yet but it sounds like architectural shingles cost maybe $700 more over 3 tab shingles. Other than the additional life it seems like they may give more protection with higher wind ratings. Possibly avoiding a damaged roof in a storm and the resulting damage in the home sounds like a good investment.
That's correct. What most don't realize is an architectural shingle should have a significantly higher wind rating which in our area is what you want. Also, most don't realize how damage to your home creates such significant inconvenience and stress. It's just not worth it to save a little money and create a potentially huge risk to your home.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:47 AM
Veteran member
Default shingles

today they do I believe 6 nails instead of three and really that's the difference. also better glue strips to keep them sealed ...

Quote:
I posed this question to an advertiser, and almost immediately the entire thread disappeared so let's get some other thoughts and opinions.

If the insurance companies are going to force you to replace your roof every 10 to (if you are lucky) 15 years, why would you go for the expensive long life roof shingles? I was thinking about this as an acquaintance spent several thousand dollars extra for 25 or 30 year shingles. I am thinking I would go cheap as I will either be dead or I will have saved a lot of money. I have not heard of any insurance company requirements for the QUALITY OF THE SHINGLES.

Old 03-09-2024, 11:04 AM

Quote:

I enjoy your posts, VT. You seem to do your research, employ best practices in your responses — including kindness — and are always helpful. Thank you. Regarding roofs: we had ours replaced after doing a lot research. First, to your immediate Q: we learned of no difference on insurance rates for different shingle manufacturer or type of shingle used. A bit puzzling to me. And, we went through a similar thought/planning process and concluded with the selection of a highly reputable (but more expensive) roofing company who, coincidentally, did a lot of the original roof installations in this northern part of TV (2004, etc). The originals all have held up well in this part of TV. A plus, in my mind. And, we picked a higher grade architectural type shingle this time around, and an excellent underpayment (both NOT the highest grade they sell) and went with both choices. And we are very happy with choices and the installation. Yes, we paid a bit more than necessary and our shingles may outlive us. My daughter is a high end realtor in the coastal NE and she suggested (as she sees it home resales) that picking a reputable company and a very good shingle also helps in the resale of the house — if, and when. She said many of her informed buyers want to know who “did the roof”, when it was last done, and what manufacturer and type of shingle was used. She said: “ keep the records” on the roof — for possible resale time. Anyway, that’s one opinion. Best of luck in your query.
Old 03-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Default Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
That's correct. What most don't realize is an architectural shingle should have a significantly higher wind rating which in our area is what you want. Also, most don't realize how damage to your home creates such significant inconvenience and stress. It's just not worth it to save a little money and create a potentially huge risk to your home.
Our home in NC fell victim to Hurricane Irene in 2011. We had a roof failure and it did make a mess. Turned out the roof was finished with a CHEAP shingle that had the look of architectural shingle but was actually a basic 3 tab. The original owner cheaped out on everything when he built.
In the end we replaced with the higher quality shingles just for peace of mind. Don't think The Villages is safe from hurricanes. We are farher inland than there and still had damage.
Old 03-09-2024, 11:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donegalkid View Post
I enjoy your posts, VT. You seem to do your research, employ best practices in your responses — including kindness — and are always helpful. Thank you. Regarding roofs: we had ours replaced after doing a lot research. First, to your immediate Q: we learned of no difference on insurance rates for different shingle manufacturer or type of shingle used. A bit puzzling to me. And, we went through a similar thought/planning process and concluded with the selection of a highly reputable (but more expensive) roofing company who, coincidentally, did a lot of the original roof installations in this northern part of TV (2004, etc). The originals all have held up well in this part of TV. A plus, in my mind. And, we picked a higher grade architectural type shingle this time around, and an excellent underpayment (both NOT the highest grade they sell) and went with both choices. And we are very happy with choices and the installation. Yes, we paid a bit more than necessary and our shingles may outlive us. My daughter is a high end realtor in the coastal NE and she suggested (as she sees it home resales) that picking a reputable company and a very good shingle also helps in the resale of the house — if, and when. She said many of her informed buyers want to know who “did the roof”, when it was last done, and what manufacturer and type of shingle was used. She said: “ keep the records” on the roof — for possible resale time. Anyway, that’s one opinion. Best of luck in your query.
Appreciate this post. Knowing coastal New England well and the types of properties you speak of, I think high end developers and their clients are using efficient, state of the art roofing systems. Translation; money is not an obstruction. You can’t cheap out on a high end home as I’m sure your daughter will agree, all the parties involved will know. That said, TV, exclusive of its more pricier subdivisions, employ more standard, budget friendly systems. As a documentation freak, your advice on good record keeping is well received.

Tags
roof, shingles, thinking, insurance, year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.