Round About Question- Yikes!!!

Closed Thread
Old 10-17-2023, 07:12 PM
Default Round About Question- Yikes!!!

We were in a double- 2 lane round about, in the right lane. As I was about to pass a right hand turn and continue on in the round about, a driver next to me in the left lane made a sudden turn in front of me to exit the round about. I had to slam on the brake to avoid getting hit.

This started me thinking- If you are in the left lane of the round about you always run the risk that someone in the right lane will be in your way when it's time for your exit. Just because you have been passing right turns without taking them- someone just entering on the right could be in your way when you take the 3rd exit.

What am I missing? is there a way for someone in the right lane to avoid getting hit by a driver turning in from the left- or is it 100% trusting every driver in the left to not hit you? Seems like a crap shoot.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2023, 07:17 PM

1) Yield to approaching vehicles in both lanes of the roundabout;
2) Never drive next to another vehicle in the roundabout.
Old 10-17-2023, 07:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,689 Times in 956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
We were in a double- 2 lane round about, in the right lane. As I was about to pass a right hand turn and continue on in the round about, a driver next to me in the left lane made a sudden turn in front of me to exit the round about. I had to slam on the brake to avoid getting hit.

This started me thinking- If you are in the left lane of the round about you always run the risk that someone in the right lane will be in your way when it's time for your exit. Just because you have been passing right turns without taking them- someone just entering on the right could be in your way when you take the 3rd exit.

What am I missing? is there a way for someone in the right lane to avoid getting hit by a driver turning in from the left- or is it 100% trusting every driver in the left to not hit you? Seems like a crap shoot.

Thanks
It's about understanding the proper way to navigate through a two-lane roundabout. When everyone does it correctly, it is not a crap shoot.
Old 10-17-2023, 07:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,079 Posts

Quote:

Thanks
Did you enter the right lane as a vehicle was approaching in the left lane, did a vehicle enter the left lane next to you and at the same time, or did the vehicle already in the left lane race up and overtake you before you passed the first exit? The first one is definitely your fault, the second is definitely his fault, and the third is unlikely.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-17-2023, 07:39 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,979 Times in 758 Posts

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...t-02-08-12-pdf
Old 10-17-2023, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Did you enter the right lane as a vehicle was approaching in the left lane, did a vehicle enter the left lane next to you and at the same time, or did the vehicle already in the left lane race up and overtake you before you passed the first exit? The first one is definitely your fault, the second is definitely his fault, and the third is unlikely.
As I recall we entered the circle at the same time.
Old 10-17-2023, 08:44 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,344 Times in 608 Posts

Quote:
As I recall we entered the circle at the same time.
Did you enter at the same time and from the same entrance? Or did you enter at the same time but he entered to your left?

If you both entered at 6, you have to exit at 3 or 12 and he has to exit at 12 or 9.

If the accident takes place at 3, it is his fault. If it takes place at 12 or 9, it is your fault.

If he entered at 9 and you entered at 6, he would have to be going fast or you would have to be going slow if you both reached 3 at the same time. Always be aware of other cars in the roundabout.
Old 10-17-2023, 09:10 PM
Veteran member

I always thought the that the rule of thumb is that when you're approaching a roundabout and you plan to exit from the 1st or 3rd (right or left exits) of the roundabout, you should always be in the outside lane well before entering the roundabout.
Old 10-17-2023, 09:17 PM

All I know is when drivers all obey the rules, it’s like watching a ballet.
Old 10-17-2023, 09:30 PM

It's just like a 4 way intersection. The right lane can turn right or go straight. The left lane can go straight or turn left.
Old 10-18-2023, 12:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw8700@outlook.com View Post
All I know is when drivers all obey the rules, it’s like watching a ballet.
Whenever a vehicle is in the left lane in a round about, I automatically yield. The vehicle may need to crossover your path to exit It takes just a few seconds to allow the person in the left lane to maneuver out of the roundabout.
Old 10-18-2023, 03:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,459 Times in 2,549 Posts

No one should have to yield in the roundabout.
That is the whole idea of them. Continuous flow.
If you have to yield, there are basically only two situations that are to blame.
1. You or the other vehicle, even both, are in the wrong lane.
2. Driver enters roundabout before both lanes to left are clear.
Speeding, changing lanes in roundabout could be added, but the two main reasons are those.
It is a very simple procedure if basic rule is followed.
Old 10-18-2023, 03:40 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,288 Times in 452 Posts

Quote:

Thanks
When you enter the roundabout in the right lane ….you have to exit the 1st or 2nd right exit, if you go to the third then you are in the wrong.
Enter in the left lane you have to exit the 2nd or 3rd right exit.
It’s posted at every roundabout it’s not that hard
Old 10-18-2023, 04:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,323 Posts

Not everyone uses the roundabout correctly, that said at least once a week, (normally north of 466) the car next to me in the left lane, will turn right from the left lane.
No they don’t notice or care if there is a car next to them. They need to go that way, and will, turn in front of you.

I will hold up for a second to let that left lane enter first, so I don’t have to break so hard, when they incorrectly turn right (in front of my car.)

I also have the ability, of driving our larger second car, whenever traveling to the northern parts of TV. No fondness for it so if it’s sacrificed in a roundabout incident I should be ok.
Old 10-18-2023, 04:21 AM
Default Traffic education is the answer

Motorists have to be educated on the proper driving entering, driving and exiting a roundabout. With all the roundabouts in TV this can be accomplished by written print and televised education. Lastly the enforcement of traffic laws and signals (summons enforcement) will help to accomplish this education.
Closed Thread

Tags
lane, round, hit, driver, exit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.