Round-abouts again

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I hope your not going to suggest turning right from the left hand lane, or left from the right?
This is exactly what many drivers do.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:31 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

"I hope your not going to suggest turning right from the left hand lane, or left from the right?"

Yes you do and can "turn" (exit) right from the left lane, otherwise you are just going to go around in circles!! While we're at it.....you can't "turn" left from the left or right lanes!!! I don't get what you are saying.
Steve
Old 05-20-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Almost correct................in the left lane (inside lane) entering the circle, if you want to exit at the third exit.......you will cross the outside lane.
At that point you have the right of way because oncoming cars are to yield to cars in the roundabout.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
"I hope your not going to suggest turning right from the left hand lane, or left from the right?"

Yes you do and can "turn" (exit) right from the left lane, otherwise you are just going to go around in circles!! While we're at it.....you can't "turn" left from the left or right lanes!!! I don't get what you are saying.
Steve
As was mentioned, if you are exiting at the third exit you technically can cross the outside lane over the broken white line but you better keep an eye on who is coming next to you. Making a right turn from the left lane at the first exit is a no no. Trying to get to the third exit from the right lane is also a no no. If I'm making an exit at the third exit I am in the inside lane so I usually just stay there and go through the visitors side, eliminates the higher risk of crossing the outside lane to the resident entrance.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-21-2019, 03:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Just in case you think your idea is something no one ever thought of...…….

How to Navigate Roundabouts 131 Posts

Roundabouts Are Safe 81 Posts

The REAL problem with our roundabouts... 57 Posts

Right of Way? 95 posts
Old 05-22-2019, 06:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Use my signal all the time yes even entering my driveway. In the Golf Cart I use both hand and directional signals. Someone actually told me it was against the law to use turn signals in the traffic circles because it confuses people. Really
Old 05-22-2019, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Use my signal all the time yes even entering my driveway. In the Golf Cart I use both hand and directional signals. Someone actually told me it was against the law to use turn signals in the traffic circles because it confuses people. Really
I use my turn signal when I turn from one road to another, from a road to a driveway, from a driveway to a road, and to change lanes. That's pretty much "basic driving 101" up in Connecticut, it's on the written test, it's part of the driving test, and it's a habit most people learn when they're 15 or 16. Some forget, some rebel against it, and some think laws don't apply to their superior entitled selves. But the rest of us just do it as a matter of habit.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
I know you are probably tired of this issue but let me address something that hasn't been considered very much. Traffic flow would be much smoother, there would be less accidents, and much less confusion if drivers would only do a simple thing. SIGNAL WHEN YOU ARE EXITING THE ROUND ABOUT !!! Why people don't use their turn signals when exiting a round about is a wonder to me...
I had a little time to kill recently so I parked at the Savannah Center so I could watch part of the round-a-bout traffic flow. I did spend a long time watching but have concluded that only about 10% of the drivers exiting that round-a-bout use their turn signals. I now wonder why. Are they lazy, don't care, or possibly ignorant ??
Old 05-25-2019, 03:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

I wouldn't say it is ignorance or laziness. I don't use directionals in the RABs but I do use directionals every where else on all roadways.

Here is my two main reasons for not using directionals in RABs......

First of all, the RABs are so small, directionals are not really visible to folks when they are too busy navigating and exits come up so quickly, it seems counter intuitive to turn on the directional.

Most importantly...........I NEVER EVER trust a turned on directional is truly a signal of intention. This is for RABs and also all other roadways, highways included. I always wait to see the car actually go into the turn or lane change for highway driving to verify that is the actual intention of the driver. Trust then verify is my mantra. I have seen way too many directionals blinking that did not indicate where the driver was actually going. Have you ever seen that? I'm sure you have.

So, long story short....why bother turning on a directional when you can't really trust it anyway? This is defensive driving on overdrive but I much prefer to be safe than sorry.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
... only about 10% of the drivers exiting that round-a-bout use their turn signals. I now wonder why. Are they lazy, don't care, or possibly ignorant ??
I would say the answer to your question for most drivers is none-of-the-above. IF...yes...that's an important 'if'...if drivers are doing all the proper things when entering and driving in a roundabout, turn signals are not really necessary.

I know many of you don't agree with that. But if you're yielding to both lanes of the roundabout before entry, and do not drive next to any vehicles within the roundabout, you're already handling the roundabout safely with or without turn signals.

They're simply not necessary UNLESS there is a possible conflict that would have been avoided in the first place with proper roundabout driving.
Closed Thread

Tags
exiting, round, simple, drivers, thing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.