Roundabout safety

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 04-15-2011, 04:55 AM
l2ridehd's Avatar
l2ridehd l2ridehd is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bridgeport At Miona Shores
Posts: 3,516
Thanks: 1
Thanked 172 Times in 56 Posts
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd
Default

I am not sure what you mean by staggering. You never do anything but that. Remember rule 1. The person in the roundabout always has the right of way. So if a car is already there, regardless or which lane, you should wait until they pass to enter.

The problem being discussed is two cars approach the roundabout side by side. No one is in the roundabout so both enter. The car in the left lane takes the 90 degree exit. They broke the law. If only going 90 degrees, ALWAYS enter from the right lane.

This is really simple. Think of a roundabout as two four lane roads arriving at a four way stop sign. If you wanted to go right, you would always be in the right lane. If you wanted to go left you would always be in the left lane. And if you wanted to go straight through, either lane would work. And you would never enter the intersection when another car was already there. Treat a roundabout exactly the same way and you should never have a problem.
__________________
Life is to short to drink cheap wine.
  #32  
Old 04-15-2011, 08:25 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,199
Thanks: 2,918
Thanked 2,496 Times in 908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I am not sure what you mean by staggering. You never do anything but that. Remember rule 1. The person in the roundabout always has the right of way. So if a car is already there, regardless or which lane, you should wait until they pass to enter.

The problem being discussed is two cars approach the roundabout side by side. No one is in the roundabout so both enter. The car in the left lane takes the 90 degree exit. They broke the law. If only going 90 degrees, ALWAYS enter from the right lane.

This is really simple. Think of a roundabout as two four lane roads arriving at a four way stop sign. If you wanted to go right, you would always be in the right lane. If you wanted to go left you would always be in the left lane. And if you wanted to go straight through, either lane would work. And you would never enter the intersection when another car was already there. Treat a roundabout exactly the same way and you should never have a problem.

I always admire your logical mind.
  #33  
Old 04-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Russ_Boston's Avatar
Russ_Boston Russ_Boston is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Buttonwood
Posts: 4,847
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I am not sure what you mean by staggering.
I took it to mean when two cars can legally enter at the same time perhaps you hold back a little an let the other guy get a car length on you so you can see their intentions (just in case they aren't so logical!).
  #34  
Old 04-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Pturner's Avatar
Pturner Pturner is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,066
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Is it just my imagination or have we usually put this annual topic to bed by mid April?

  #35  
Old 04-15-2011, 03:48 PM
skyguy79's Avatar
skyguy79 skyguy79 is offline
Eternal Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza
Posts: 5,576
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
I took it to mean when two cars can legally enter at the same time perhaps you hold back a little an let the other guy get a car length on you so you can see their intentions (just in case they aren't so logical!).
I hate to say this, but with the number of cars we've experienced, while we entered into the round-about on the right, that were passing us on our left and in a big a** hurry, I'd have to say that unfortunately... "IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!" The Villages Florida
__________________
ARE VILLAGERS OLD OR ARE THEY RECYCLED TEENAGERS
At my age rolling out of bed in the morning is easy.
Getting up off the floor is another story.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
  #36  
Old 04-16-2011, 07:52 AM
EdV's Avatar
EdV EdV is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Village of Stonecrest
Posts: 1,123
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You can talk all day about how everyone should know the roundabout rules and how simple they are but it’s a waste of time. The fact is that TV is one of the worst places to have installed over 30 of these multi-lane roundabouts.

Think about it. Each year, thousands of people from all over the globe migrate here during the winter. Many are first timers and if they aren’t renting in TV, they’re renting in nearby communities and come to TV for a day or two to have a look see. Many of these drivers are from places that either don’t have these roundabouts or have never encountered them. So when the approach a roundabout for the first time, they tend to gravitate to the right lane while they size up the situation. Then they enter the roundabout when the rightmost lane is clear because that’s what they (and most drivers) do when they merge onto a multilane highway that has a yield sign. And that of course sets up the accident when the drive in the left lane attempts to take the next exit.

If you really want a solution that works, make the roundabouts single lane. Then the only rule is to yield the vehicles already in the roundabout.

The next best solution is what Sgvegas suggested. Restrict the right lane to right turn only with the use of barriers. Of course that requires a decision for correct lane selection and there will be the occasional nimrod that attempts to correct their mistake by stopping and backing up.
  #37  
Old 04-16-2011, 08:21 AM
memason's Avatar
memason memason is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Villages
Posts: 2,166
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Cool

Well, I personally believe the addition of the roundabouts in TV are a stroke of genius...multi-lane or single...doesn't matter. They keep traffic moving... could you imagine driving up Buena Vista or Morse if the roundabouts were converted to 4-way stops or traffic signals....YIKES! For the thousands of cars that navigate through them daily, there are very few [if any] accidents.


Just saying....
  #38  
Old 04-16-2011, 08:48 AM
EdV's Avatar
EdV EdV is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Village of Stonecrest
Posts: 1,123
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

If you look back and check the number of threads and posts on this subject, it should be pretty obvious that there is a problem here. Not sure where or when you travel in TV, but Ive seen lots of near misses here in roundabouts.

My issue is not with roundabouts per se, but with the multilane ones. And Im not advocating replacing them with lights or 4 way stops. Im simply suggesting that they could be made safer given the highly transient nature of the residents and renters in TV, even if it results in a slight reduction in traffic flow.
  #39  
Old 04-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Russ_Boston's Avatar
Russ_Boston Russ_Boston is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Buttonwood
Posts: 4,847
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
If you look back and check the number of threads and posts on this subject, it should be pretty obvious that there is a problem here. Not sure where or when you travel in TV, but Ive seen lots of near misses here in roundabouts.

My issue is not with roundabouts per se, but with the multilane ones. And Im not advocating replacing them with lights or 4 way stops. Im simply suggesting that they could be made safer given the highly transient nature of the residents and renters in TV, even if it results in a slight reduction in traffic flow.
Yes but are there a lot of accidents or just antidotes from TOTV? I like the roundabouts but I know enough to assume that others don't know how to drive in them so I'm very cautious.
  #40  
Old 04-16-2011, 10:09 AM
inholmdel inholmdel is offline
Member
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

TIP:
All the above OK but if you find yourself in the left lane in the roundabout and want to go right look at the cars tires you are trying to pass before turning right. If the tires are not being turned to right, wait for the car on the right to pass.
inholmdel
  #41  
Old 04-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14,395
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1,015 Times in 509 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
If you look back and check the number of threads and posts on this subject, it should be pretty obvious that there is a problem here. Not sure where or when you travel in TV, but Ive seen lots of near misses here in roundabouts.

My issue is not with roundabouts per se, but with the multilane ones. And Im not advocating replacing them with lights or 4 way stops. Im simply suggesting that they could be made safer given the highly transient nature of the residents and renters in TV, even if it results in a slight reduction in traffic flow.
Ed, there are near misses everywhere, stop signs, red light runners, etc. The roundabouts are no different....its all up to the one behind the wheel.
I say keep'um, better than any altenative.
  #42  
Old 04-16-2011, 10:52 AM
memason's Avatar
memason memason is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Villages
Posts: 2,166
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Cool Instructional Video for Driving in Roundabouts...

By the way... I drive an Audi . . .

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyaM_2w3jMI&feature=related[/ame]
  #43  
Old 04-16-2011, 11:01 AM
The Great Fumar's Avatar
The Great Fumar The Great Fumar is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chatham
Posts: 2,015
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
by the way... I drive an audi . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyam_...eature=related
looks a little like chicopee falls......
__________________
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be, Also
my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
  #44  
Old 04-22-2011, 03:10 PM
downeaster downeaster is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,562
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Roundabout safety is an oxymoron.
  #45  
Old 04-22-2011, 04:17 PM
billethkid's Avatar
billethkid billethkid is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 17,137
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,414 Times in 692 Posts
Default

It is definetly the nut at the end of the steering wheel.

Makes one wonder where or why retired people have to be to go as fast as they do here in TV (or any where else).

btk
__________________
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it"...Mark Twain
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.