Roundabout safety

Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2011, 04:55 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I am not sure what you mean by staggering. You never do anything but that. Remember rule 1. The person in the roundabout always has the right of way. So if a car is already there, regardless or which lane, you should wait until they pass to enter.

The problem being discussed is two cars approach the roundabout side by side. No one is in the roundabout so both enter. The car in the left lane takes the 90 degree exit. They broke the law. If only going 90 degrees, ALWAYS enter from the right lane.

This is really simple. Think of a roundabout as two four lane roads arriving at a four way stop sign. If you wanted to go right, you would always be in the right lane. If you wanted to go left you would always be in the left lane. And if you wanted to go straight through, either lane would work. And you would never enter the intersection when another car was already there. Treat a roundabout exactly the same way and you should never have a problem.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I am not sure what you mean by staggering. You never do anything but that. Remember rule 1. The person in the roundabout always has the right of way. So if a car is already there, regardless or which lane, you should wait until they pass to enter.

The problem being discussed is two cars approach the roundabout side by side. No one is in the roundabout so both enter. The car in the left lane takes the 90 degree exit. They broke the law. If only going 90 degrees, ALWAYS enter from the right lane.

This is really simple. Think of a roundabout as two four lane roads arriving at a four way stop sign. If you wanted to go right, you would always be in the right lane. If you wanted to go left you would always be in the left lane. And if you wanted to go straight through, either lane would work. And you would never enter the intersection when another car was already there. Treat a roundabout exactly the same way and you should never have a problem.

I always admire your logical mind.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I am not sure what you mean by staggering.
I took it to mean when two cars can legally enter at the same time perhaps you hold back a little an let the other guy get a car length on you so you can see their intentions (just in case they aren't so logical!).
Old 04-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Sage

Is it just my imagination or have we usually put this annual topic to bed by mid April?

Old 04-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
I took it to mean when two cars can legally enter at the same time perhaps you hold back a little an let the other guy get a car length on you so you can see their intentions (just in case they aren't so logical!).
I hate to say this, but with the number of cars we've experienced, while we entered into the round-about on the right, that were passing us on our left and in a big a** hurry, I'd have to say that unfortunately... "IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!" The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 04-16-2011, 07:52 AM
Gold member

You can talk all day about how everyone should know the roundabout rules and how simple they are but it’s a waste of time. The fact is that TV is one of the worst places to have installed over 30 of these multi-lane roundabouts.

Think about it. Each year, thousands of people from all over the globe migrate here during the winter. Many are first timers and if they aren’t renting in TV, they’re renting in nearby communities and come to TV for a day or two to have a look see. Many of these drivers are from places that either don’t have these roundabouts or have never encountered them. So when the approach a roundabout for the first time, they tend to gravitate to the right lane while they size up the situation. Then they enter the roundabout when the rightmost lane is clear because that’s what they (and most drivers) do when they merge onto a multilane highway that has a yield sign. And that of course sets up the accident when the drive in the left lane attempts to take the next exit.

If you really want a solution that works, make the roundabouts single lane. Then the only rule is to yield the vehicles already in the roundabout.

The next best solution is what Sgvegas suggested. Restrict the right lane to right turn only with the use of barriers. Of course that requires a decision for correct lane selection and there will be the occasional nimrod that attempts to correct their mistake by stopping and backing up.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Well, I personally believe the addition of the roundabouts in TV are a stroke of genius...multi-lane or single...doesn't matter. They keep traffic moving... could you imagine driving up Buena Vista or Morse if the roundabouts were converted to 4-way stops or traffic signals....YIKES! For the thousands of cars that navigate through them daily, there are very few [if any] accidents.

Just saying....
Old 04-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Gold member

If you look back and check the number of threads and posts on this subject, it should be pretty obvious that there is a problem here. Not sure where or when you travel in TV, but I’ve seen lots of near misses here in roundabouts.

My issue is not with roundabouts per se, but with the multilane ones. And I’m not advocating replacing them with lights or 4 way stops. I’m simply suggesting that they could be made safer given the highly transient nature of the residents and renters in TV, even if it results in a slight reduction in traffic flow.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
If you look back and check the number of threads and posts on this subject, it should be pretty obvious that there is a problem here. Not sure where or when you travel in TV, but I’ve seen lots of near misses here in roundabouts.

My issue is not with roundabouts per se, but with the multilane ones. And I’m not advocating replacing them with lights or 4 way stops. I’m simply suggesting that they could be made safer given the highly transient nature of the residents and renters in TV, even if it results in a slight reduction in traffic flow.
Yes but are there a lot of accidents or just antidotes from TOTV? I like the roundabouts but I know enough to assume that others don't know how to drive in them so I'm very cautious.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:09 AM

TIP:
All the above OK but if you find yourself in the left lane in the roundabout and want to go right look at the cars tires you are trying to pass before turning right. If the tires are not being turned to right, wait for the car on the right to pass.
inholmdel
Old 04-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post

Ed, there are near misses everywhere, stop signs, red light runners, etc. The roundabouts are no different....its all up to the one behind the wheel.
I say keep'um, better than any altenative.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool Instructional Video for Driving in Roundabouts...

By the way... I drive an Audi . . .

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyaM_2w3jMI&feature=related[/ame]
Old 04-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
by the way... I drive an audi . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyam_...eature=related
looks a little like chicopee falls......
Old 04-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Platinum member

Roundabout safety is an oxymoron.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

It is definetly the nut at the end of the steering wheel.

Makes one wonder where or why retired people have to be to go as fast as they do here in TV (or any where else).

btk
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.