Sagging shelf under water heater and HVAC

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2018, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I bet Gracie will call somebody.........can't imagine her cutting a hole in her A/C unit. Right girl?
Agree. Ourselves, we are always good at picking up the phone. But good advice from Frank and VT, because it points to the seriousness of the problem.

GG just need to know, "Who ya gonna call!"
Old 04-27-2018, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If any of my friends on this forum want to know if there was a charge, please P.M. me.

Warranty responded immediately, Came out the same day to assess the problem and came the next day with excellent workmen and fixed the problem. My husband is very handy and helped too.

My husband will mud in the nail holes in the front, sand them and paint them, although I don't think it is necessary with the door closed most of the time. He is a perfectionist. I am very proud of him. This weekend is our 56th anniversary.
I received a Kellyann response to my pm from GG. I know no more today than before the pm. I am curious if the developer made good without a charge on this potentially dangerous situation which as described appears to be a design defect or poor workmanship. I understand the crack ceiling lanai situation where the developer wipes his hands clean after the warranty period since it is cosmetic in nature. I don't agree they should but do understand the profit game. To my way of thinking this situation is more like the Takata airbag recall - danger trumps warranty periods. As I previously stated if a gas hot water tank is a "leaning tower of pizza (GG)" the exhaust pipe could slightly seperate and carbon monoxide leak into the house. If the developer did step up to the plate they deserve their rightful place upon the throne that GG faithfully sets them on. If they didn't fix it for free - shame on them for not supporting their number one fan. It would be interesting to know if the platform was built to plan. If yes and the platform is not adequate to hold the weight what homes have this defect - Is that not a reasonable question ?
Ok your turn - beat me up and post those cute little ICONS. I can handle it. However I like hearing both sides of a story before I follow wildebeest over the cliffs edge.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Rusty P.

It was well handled and to our great satisfaction. Two of our friends inquired and we told them every detail.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Rusty P.

It was well handled and to our great satisfaction. Two of our friends inquired and we told them every detail.
You know well that's not the question.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Rusty P.

Good enough for me!
Old 04-27-2018, 02:32 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

I hesitate to comment here again on the subject, but I will only to keep some facts straight. Even though I never inspected Gracie's home, I know that her water heater is Electric...so there is no Carbon Monoxide issues here with a possible failure.

No one here knows how much the tank was leaning, or if it was leaning even during the first year. I do know that because I do over 500 warranty inspections in The Villages annually, I have on occasion written up leaning water heaters. 8 years ago warranty inspections were not as popular as they are now, and I was not fully in business when Gracie's home was even built.

Weather or not there was a nominal charge for this work is simply none of my business. The mere fact that Gracie called warranty and they sent someone out the next day is something that is above and beyond what I typically see from ANY builder 8 years after a home was built. Around here (in Florida), most builders from 8 years ago are no longer even in business, much less responsive.

We do not know how bad the tank was leaning, or how bad the plywood was warped. We do not know how the supports were originally installed, or if they were insufficient or failed after installation.

No place, builder or home is perfect. Even here. We stay very busy and folks would not pay us if our inspections did not find anything. We've never ever been told that our inspection was not worth it. Issues are found, issues get fixed, people are happy, life is good.

All I know was that Gracie was good enough to spend time sharing this with the readers here and that she is now happy. I'm happy that Gracie is happy and I'm glad she shared the experience with us, and I'm glad if we helped in any small way.

I'm sure that there are others now taking a look at their utility closets from this. When you are in there, flush your condensate line and check your A/C filter to see if it needs to be changed....

Respectfully,

Frank
Old 04-27-2018, 03:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
I hesitate to comment here again on the subject, but I will only to keep some facts straight. Even though I never inspected Gracie's home, I know that her water heater is Electric...so there is no Carbon Monoxide issues here with a possible failure.

No one here knows how much the tank was leaning, or if it was leaning even during the first year. I do know that because I do over 500 warranty inspections in The Villages annually, I have on occasion written up leaning water heaters. 8 years ago warranty inspections were not as popular as they are now, and I was not fully in business when Gracie's home was even built.

Weather or not there was a nominal charge for this work is simply none of my business. The mere fact that Gracie called warranty and they sent someone out the next day is something that is above and beyond what I typically see from ANY builder 8 years after a home was built. Around here (in Florida), most builders from 8 years ago are no longer even in business, much less responsive.

We do not know how bad the tank was leaning, or how bad the plywood was warped. We do not know how the supports were originally installed, or if they were insufficient or failed after installation.

No place, builder or home is perfect. Even here. We stay very busy and folks would not pay us if our inspections did not find anything. We've never ever been told that our inspection was not worth it. Issues are found, issues get fixed, people are happy, life is good.

All I know was that Gracie was good enough to spend time sharing this with the readers here and that she is now happy. I'm happy that Gracie is happy and I'm glad she shared the experience with us, and I'm glad if we helped in any small way.

I'm sure that there are others now taking a look at their utility closets from this. When you are in there, flush your condensate line and check your A/C filter to see if it needs to be changed....

Respectfully,

Frank
I dislike these blogs for the very reason I dislike twitter - try to convey your thoughts in a few words doesn't do some subjects justice. To that point and yours
- I know Gracie's tank is electric - I am pointing out it could have been gas and an issue. And I still don't know if it is a design flaw that may be in some homes with gas heaters. Some air handlers are gas also.
- GG was the one who described the leaning tower of pizza
- I agree with you if there was a charge is none of your business due to the fact you are a commercial business not employed by the developer. That does not mean it is out of bounds for me as a home owner built by the developer. I am not entitled to that information but would be nice to know how the biggest investment thus far of my lifetime may be handled down the road apiece. That is not to say it wasn't handled admirably, I simply don't know.
- Last and least post # two is mine which said call home warranty minutes after GG asked for help. That appears to be exactly the solution and all that wants to be shared.
- I appreciate your posts. Your information is valuable and easy to understand. We may have a misunderstanding. GG and I have this long standing thing that she feels the quality of house built here are in the stratosphere. I don't - I think they meet code.

Last edited by rustyp; 04-27-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:10 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Dear Rusty,
I understand and agree with your point of view. If I owned a home in The Villages I would also be very interested in this issue and how it was handled. My primary intent on my last post was to point out that in Gracies home it was not a gas water heater. Some folks are confused, as there IS gas in the northern part of The Villages, and now again in Fenney.

I think that The Villages is a one of a kind amazing place. The views of the golf courses, etc are stunning. The Rec centers are amazing.

I think The Villages builds a good house and are for the most part quite responsive to their clients needs and wants. They are built "to code". They also are built quickly and are more of a production home than a one of a kind custom home. There is nothing wrong with that at all.

That being said, the fact that we do over 500 warranty inspections a year in The Villages proves that folks feel that it is a benefit they are gladly willing to pay us for. Our business would not last very long if everyday folks paid us just to tell them, "Nothing found, everything is perfect". Thankfully for us, that is never the case.

No home, even a new one, is perfect. Folks that hire us most always find that if they had to pay for the issues we find under warranty, the cost would far exceed the cost of the inspection. It is why I presume we stay so busy.

I hope this does not sound like an Ad for our services....I do not intend to make it sound like that. I think we all agree that Gracie is one of The Villages best cheerleaders...a very sweet and caring person.

That being said, I think that you and I have an accurate perception of the building industry in regards to quality/cost, etc.

The Villages builds a good home, in record time, with an amazing huge machine. Most of their buyers are very satisfied, and have reason to feel that way. Because people are human, mistakes can and are sometimes made. It's our job to find them, and we do. I like many of the things The Villages are doing with the new homes. There are a few things I would do differently, but that is just me.

Up north, I custom designed and built my own home. It took me years. The "fit and finish" was perfect. The solid oak trim was hand coped....a skill that is no pretty much non-existant. No caulk was used. Craftsmanship was evident everywhere. My home here in Florida is not that home.

Thank you Rusty for the kind words. I really do like to help here when I can, and that is always my intent. Have a wonderful weekend!

Frank
Old 04-27-2018, 04:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I dislike these blogs for the very reason i dislike twitter - try to convey your thoughts in a few words doesn't do some subjects justice. To that point and yours
- I know Gracie's tank is electric - I am pointing out it could have been gas and a issue. And I still don't know if it is a design flaw that may be some homes with gas heaters. Also some air handlers are gas also.
- GG was the one who described the leaning tower of pizza
- I agree with you if there was a charge is none of your business due to the fact you are a commercial business not employed by the developer. That does not mean it is out of bounds for me as a home owner built by the developer. I am not entitled to that information but would be nice to know how the biggest investment thus far of my lifetime may be handled down the road apiece. That is not to say it wasn't handled admirably, I simply don't know.
- Last and least post # two is mine which said call home warranty minutes after GG asked for help. That appears to be exactly the solution and all that wants to be shared.
- I appreciate your posts. Your information is valuable and easy to understand. We may have a misunderstanding. GG and I have this long standing thing that she feels the quality of house built here are in the stratosphere. I don't - I think they meet code.
I have never said that. Or anything near that. I do say that they know how to build a house and they are very nice to you if you are polite to them.

I think they do a good job building a home. We have had custom homes built in the past and we had more choices and more bells and jingles....but our present home here in The Villages is finished very nicely and is built very well. And they respond quickly and don't gouge you if something is wrong. I will show you a picture of our last house in Ohio. I feel our present one is built solidly and is very tightly sealed. We like this home that we live in now better than our fancier one.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	chandelier.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	74915  

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-27-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Dear Rusty,
I understand and agree with your point of view. If I owned a home in The Villages I would also be very interested in this issue and how it was handled. My primary intent on my last post was to point out that in Gracies home it was not a gas water heater. Some folks are confused, as there IS gas in the northern part of The Villages, and now again in Fenney.

I think that The Villages is a one of a kind amazing place. The views of the golf courses, etc are stunning. The Rec centers are amazing.

I think The Villages builds a good house and are for the most part quite responsive to their clients needs and wants. They are built "to code". They also are built quickly and are more of a production home than a one of a kind custom home. There is nothing wrong with that at all.

That being said, the fact that we do over 500 warranty inspections a year in The Villages proves that folks feel that it is a benefit they are gladly willing to pay us for. Our business would not last very long if everyday folks paid us just to tell them, "Nothing found, everything is perfect". Thankfully for us, that is never the case.

No home, even a new one, is perfect. Folks that hire us most always find that if they had to pay for the issues we find under warranty, the cost would far exceed the cost of the inspection. It is why I presume we stay so busy.

I hope this does not sound like an Ad for our services....I do not intend to make it sound like that. I think we all agree that Gracie is one of The Villages best cheerleaders...a very sweet and caring person.

That being said, I think that you and I have an accurate perception of the building industry in regards to quality/cost, etc.

The Villages builds a good home, in record time, with an amazing huge machine. Most of their buyers are very satisfied, and have reason to feel that way. Because people are human, mistakes can and are sometimes made. It's our job to find them, and we do. I like many of the things The Villages are doing with the new homes. There are a few things I would do differently, but that is just me.

Up north, I custom designed and built my own home. It took me years. The "fit and finish" was perfect. The solid oak trim was hand coped....a skill that is no pretty much non-existant. No caulk was used. Craftsmanship was evident everywhere. My home here in Florida is not that home.

Thank you Rusty for the kind words. I really do like to help here when I can, and that is always my intent. Have a wonderful weekend!

Frank
Thanks for the understanding. I truly respect your opinions and knowledge. It is obvious to me you have many years of experience in this field. I would not hesitate for a New York minute to hire you for an inspection. I too have built / major remodeled several houses up north in an area with an average snowfall of over 200 inches / year. That brings in a whole new class of structural design challenges and codes. Try meeting 90 lb snow loads per sq ft and R values through the roof without screwing up moisture condensation problems. There is still new schools of thought on these problems yet today. For the record just because I said our homes here "meet code" is not a negative. I believe the state of Florida has been very proactive in this area and has very good codes as compared to many other areas of the country.

Last edited by rustyp; 04-27-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, hvac, heater, problem, called

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.