savannah shows and rocky

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2020, 12:47 PM
Default Think about this . . .

Most of us here in The Villages, in my opinion, love Rocky & The Rollers. The thing about the shows he brings to SC and other venues is that he actually brings groups that can still sing and perform. He and The Rollers are simply fantastic entertainers! As a Producer, Rocky ensures the show is entertaining and worth your while. I've noticed how he brings out the strengths of these touring groups and he doesn't let them falter. Compare any Rocky production to many of the other groups who come in and fall short because they just don't have it anymore. I've never seen that happen when Rocky is involved. If Rocky is producing a show, you have a guarantee it will be worth your time and money. He delivers.

Sit back and enjoy the music!
Old 01-14-2020, 03:55 PM

Mark Lindsey was here on December 11.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,888 Times in 1,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
Mark Lindsey was here on December 11.
You're right, I just looked that up. Poor advertising, it was billed as "Sensational Singers of the 60's", I never saw his name. I should of checked his website. I do remember seeing Freddy Cannon's name listed in the newspaper, but wasn't interested. He was on the old Paul Revere & the Raiders Show Where the Action Is several times, I guess that's where they became friends.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:46 PM

We saw Mark Lindsay with the entire original group years ago. He was solo at The Savannah Center with Freddy Boom Boom Cannon. We go and have gone to alot of concerts in the past 40 years, and there is usually an opening act. Rocky and The Rollers are one of the better ones . The shows here are usually on the average of an hour and a half. Sometimes 2 hours. They need a filler often times.

Last edited by prettyw102@aol.com; 01-15-2020 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:33 PM

Mark Lindsey of Paul Revere and the Raiders performed at the Savannah Center a few weeks ago.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,549 Times in 1,096 Posts

We saw Absolute Queen the other night at Savana and it was a very enjoyable show with no warm up band.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:47 AM
Veteran member

I agree with village dreamer.. but at least you know that there is a warm up band.. last May blood sweat and tears performed at the savannah center it's the worst show I have ever been to... Roy Firestone who has absolutely no talent other than as a sports announcer was there opening act... he was so bad we almost got up and left and his supposed solo act that was advertised in the future was cancelled because of real poor ticket sales..
also the show wasn't advertised that their was any opening act
Old 01-15-2020, 08:40 AM

Absolutely. Why pay for Rocky when they’re all over the squares for free
Old 01-15-2020, 09:43 AM

We saw Mark Lindsey of Paul Revere and the Raiders several times in the Happy Together Tour. Sadly his voice is not what it used to be. But the tour always has great old bands who can still rock and roll. We go every year. Check it out!
Old 01-15-2020, 09:53 AM

I agree. Worst concert ever! But opening acts aren’t always bad. Last year we saw Jimmy Buffet open for Chicago.
Unbelievably great time!
Old 01-15-2020, 02:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,796 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raney3099 View Post
Absolutely. Why pay for Rocky when they’re all over the squares for free
Point missed

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-15-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB01 View Post
Most of us here in The Villages, in my opinion, love Rocky & The Rollers. The thing about the shows he brings to SC and other venues is that he actually brings groups that can still sing and perform. He and The Rollers are simply fantastic entertainers! As a Producer, Rocky ensures the show is entertaining and worth your while. I've noticed how he brings out the strengths of these touring groups and he doesn't let them falter. Compare any Rocky production to many of the other groups who come in and fall short because they just don't have it anymore. I've never seen that happen when Rocky is involved. If Rocky is producing a show, you have a guarantee it will be worth your time and money. He delivers.

Sit back and enjoy the music!
I agree almost completely with your post ..... but, like the OP, I also feel when I pay to see one of his “Star” shows at Savannah that I should see and hear lots more of the Stars than I do of his band.
I also think we could do without the irritating DJ guy at his Savannah concerts.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:29 PM
Gold member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I loved the Grass Roots but just like Kansas, Badfinger and many others, if they don't have the original singer it takes away some of the nostalgia. Unfortunately the original singer Rob Grill died in 2011 when he fell of the roof of his home in Leesburg. Creed Bratton of the Office was a Grass Roots guitarist in the 60's, currently there is no member in the band that belong prior to 1984.

I'm not against seeing bands with other singers. I saw Molly Hatchet last week and only 2 members date back to '84 and '87 and I saw the Yardbirds and only the drummer was original. I wanted to hear music by Molly Hatchet and the Yardbirds, so I went for those reasons. I had ticket for Artemus Pyle Band, he was the drummer of Lynyrd Skynyrd from 1975 until 1991, and after watching youtube videos, they played all the songs and were great, however they cancelled the shows, I guess didn't sell enough tickets. Enjoy the show.

The Villages Florida

Creed is second from left, the late Rob Grill vocalist and bassist is in the middle with shades.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
John_W, you mean you never got to see the group you paid to see? You never explained your argument. Yes, if you just got to see Rocky & the Rollers, I would of been very upset too.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,707 Times in 1,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
Typical warm-up band. Rocky's band is terrific.
Not to sound like a Debbie Downer but Rocky needs to hire musicians who can sing. It is very difficult to enjoy Rocky and the Rollers when the singers sound like sick cats on a roof top. Just awful.

There are other bands who play the squares in The Villages who have excellent musicians (not the horns like Rocky though) but the singers are top notch.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,919 Times in 788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Not to sound like a Debbie Downer but Rocky needs to hire musicians who can sing. It is very difficult to enjoy Rocky and the Rollers when the singers sound like sick cats on a roof top. Just awful.

There are other bands who play the squares in The Villages who have excellent musicians (not the horns like Rocky though) but the singers are top notch.

YES! Someone finally said it! Other than Al who is pretty decent, I agree. Rocky And The Elders has become a bit long in the tooth. They should stick with playing instrumentals! It's like listening to Sinatra when he reached the end of his career. You try to remember how he was "back then" and keep listening.
Closed Thread

Tags
rocky, grass, roots, savannah, min

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.