Saving seats at town squares

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Default Saving seats at town squares

UPDATE: I want to thank everyone for their posts. I have to admit that if people are going to be abusing the amount of time that they are leaving the saved seats empty while others could be sitting there, it would be very frustrating to others. I imagine that the villages will continue to have this problem as long as it is allowed and inconsistently controlled. People on both sides of the fence are not happy with how it is being handled. New owners and renters are joining this community every day. I believe that people are willing to follow any rules put to them. We must all be patient with each other. No one is meaning to be rude, just to find a way to enjoy.

I have mobility issues and therefore prefer to save seats at the square so I am assured of being able to sit. My husband and I saved two seats about 3:30pm at Mardi Gras at Lake Sumpter. We went to get a bite to eat and returned to find our "seat savers" under the bushes and two other people in our seats. We were told that a Village Personnel man took our "seat-savers" off of the chairs. We spoke to the supervisor about it. He admitted to doing it. Basically it came down to "what right do we have to save "village-owned seats."

So...what do you all think about this? Our thoughts are......

We couldn't "save" seats, but....

1. Others seem to have the right to be able to bring their own chairs and save an optimal space on the "village-owned property" that others could put "village owned" chairs upon. They have that right according to the supervisor.
2. Others have the right to come early and just sit and wait in "village-owned" chairs. Why does my physical rear-end have to be in the chair vs. my "seat saver" other than to protect our chairs from the supervisor?
3. What if we want to save our seats and get up to shop the vendors around the square? One would have to be sitting there to save the other seat according to the supervisor as he was still going around checking seats as entertainment was going on.
4. What if we want to save our seats and get up to dance? One would have to be sitting there to save the other seat to be safe from the supervisor.

What right do we have to "save our seats?" We have the same right that anyone else has to come down early and save seats. First come first serve. That is our "right." We are not taking away anyone else's right to do this.

What "right" does anyone have to disrespect our "right" to be there first?

(Sarcastically) Why don't they just gate everything off with policemen and make everyone go in at the same time? Oops! People would be upset because somehow someone got closer to the gate then they did. Or....let's just make the rule that no one can leave their house until 30 minutes before an event. Oops! Some people live closer and that's just not fair! Perhaps the villages should just eliminate all "reservations" at restaurants or buying tickets in advance.

Do you think that this is micro-managing just a bit too much? After all…we are adults. There are always going to be "childish" adults who cause problems. Let the villages focus on them and leave the rest of us alone.

What do YOU think?

Last edited by katsudden; 02-10-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I agree with the person who removed your seat saver.

See below threads about this problem.

Hats off to the Event Staff
Save me a Seat

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-07-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Platinum member

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 02-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Platinum member

Why doesn't the whole group come at the same time, early? No need to "save seats" like the high school basketball game.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Platinum member

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 02-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Saving seats has become a HUGE problem! Sorry, no sympathy here. People have been begging for this problem to be solved for years. I really doubt you will get any sympathy on this forum!
Old 02-07-2013, 06:45 PM

I also agree with the one who took the seat savers except I wouldn't be happy if I got up to dance or got a drink to come back and find my seat gone. So to do it an hour or so before events happen is one thing but once the events are underway they should stop.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsudden View Post
No-one is disrepecting your right to get there first. If you sit in your chair, you will secure it, no problem. If you choose to go shopping, your chair is up for grabs.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 PM

I mean no disrespect to the OP but I think if you absolutely must have a seat you should consider bringing your own chair.

I have a Mom who also as mobility problems, when we take her to square on a night when there is an event or it real busy we take her wheel chair or a folding chair of our own. This ensure she has a seat and we look for one for ourselves when available.

Mr. Grampy II
"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?" -Satchel Paige
Old 02-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,180 Times in 1,936 Posts

Saving seats at the squares hours before an event sounds like chair hogs on a cruise ship to me. Cruisers have gone as far as saying cruise ship chair hogs should be made to walk the plank. (It's an ongoing problem)

Hubby and I have always said, "The Villages is like a cruise ship on land".
Old 02-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Platinum member

we never leave our chairs completely empty. One of us stays with the chairs. That's fine for us, but what about people who like to dance? Then both are up at the same time, I think their chairs should still be there when they come back.....

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 02-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
No-one is disrepecting your right to get there first. If you sit in your chair, you will secure it, no problem. If you choose to go shopping, your chair is up for grabs.
Have to agree.
Glad to see some one is looking at "seat saving"....clean them up Dano.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Saving seats at the squares hours before an event sounds like chair hogs on a cruise ship to me. Cruisers have gone as far as saying cruise ship chair hogs should be made to walk the plank. (It's an ongoing problem)

Hubby and I have always said, "The Villages is like a cruise ship on land".
Bingo
Old 02-07-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsudden View Post
...My husband and I saved two seats about 3:30pm at Mardi Gras at Lake Sumpter. We went to get a bite to eat and returned to find our "seat savers" under the bushes and two other people in our seats. We were told that a Village Personnel man took our "seat-savers" off of the chairs. We spoke to the supervisor about it. He admitted to doing it.

What do YOU think?
Well done by the Supervisor!!! You have a right to reserve seats? Give me a break! We watched a lady "rope" off with ribbons 9 seats at Spanish Springs about 3 hours before the music began. We went back there at 5:45pm and saw that MOST of the seats were still "roped" off but no one sitting in them. That group finally arrived at 6pm and were annoyed that ALL 9 of the seats were not there waiting for them.
NO SAVING OF SEATS is a great idea. Again, well done by the Supervisor.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Veteran member

It's about time The Villages took a stand by un-saving seats.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.