Scanning Your TV ID card.

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2008, 02:50 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd
Default Re: Scanning Your TV ID card.

Hopefully most of you have worked most of your life. Almost all businesses of any size require you to have an employee ID badge. Most with your picture on it. Many places require that the badge be swiped in order to enter the premises. Many require a badge, picture, swipe and a pin code to enter. This is not really any different.

Every month you pay a fee to have these facilities available for your use. If people who don't pay the monthly fee also utilize them, then at some point your monthly fee will go up in order to cover their cost of use. At some point your residence card will probably have a picture ID and a card swipe in order to use rec centers, pools, and wouldn't it be nice if also the town squares. Perhaps if that was so, New Years Eve would have worked out just fine.

Unfortunately every where you go their are people who try to beat the system and get something for nothing. Having ID cards, badges, etc. is one way to help solve that problem. The technology already works very well where you have thumb print scanners that read your print and sense the temperature (just to make sure someone didn't cut off your thumb) to enter buildings. And this technology cost is coming down fast and is pretty fool proof. Then you don't even need ID's or pictures.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Founder

You are all missing my point. I am not discussing wether scanning cards is right or wrong. I am defending Beady's right to question it without others lowering themselves to claiming she is "silly."

Reread my post. Never once did I mention "scanning resident's ID cards."

I for one, am pleased that they check cards to keep ne'er-do-wells out of the Villages facilities. But please do not jump on people for questioning the practice. Why is it necessary to try to make her feel that she is somehow less of a person for asking the question.

If people are willing to give up their right to question any practice here in the Villages then I am in the wrong place.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Gold member

l2ridehd.. I worked at a large well known boot,shoe and clothing manufactuers corporate headquarters in NE. I entered that building every day with my ID badge. Our company security was very intense and necessary because we also housed a R&D facility for boot design. I never even gave the use of a badge a second thought. No one was going to share my corporate identity.
My objection here is who sees the information when I am scanned. Who has access to it and will it be shared. I do not think that is impossible. If the information can build a model for the demograpics of such a large successful community and it's operations, can we be sure the information would not be shared or sold to other individuals or companies. Demographics are an important tool in marketing.I think the sale of that information is entirely possible. Call me silly, paranoid or whatever you like. I do not like the policy and I will continue to disagree with it, as that is my right. I will also "follow the rules" as some suggest but not willingly,again because in this free country I can.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

If I am not mistaken, even if you are on a "preview" package and want to just see what a facility looks like, you have an ID card that should be scanned.

I pay my TV dues and also subject myself to alot more scrutiny at a grocery or drug store when I give them my (_____) card to save a dollar or two...I am all for scanning at all TV facilities.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Gold member

Thanks Talk Host: for listening to my objections and defending my right to do so whether you agree with me or not.
I sometimes hesitate to express my opinion on this forum. While it does get some people thinking and responding with thought provoking responses ,it also opens the door for harsh criticisms that are sometimes unproductive to a discussion. IMHO!!!!
Old 01-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

beady raised a good question and has a right to be heard.....some will agree and others will disagree. Thats the whole point of having a discussion board like this. Its only when people start taking things very serious or moreso "personal" that things can get out of hand. This is a good Topic!!
Old 01-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Sage

With all due respect, Jan, I thought your post was intended to rail against the Villages authorities:

If others wish to accept whatever is handed to them without question, 'SHAME ON THEM."

The Villages is still part of the United States. Being retired from your job does not mean you are retired from being a responsible citizen. We are not a bunch of sheep.

I totally agree with you and Beady that everyone should feel free to express opinions and be willing to listen to opposing or alternative positions. Posts and their replies should certainly refrain from personal criticism or attacks. There are factual and diplomatic ways to disagree with a position without insulting or demeaning the author.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:59 PM

Say, why don't we do away with those pesky little cards and just have RFID chips implanted in our hands. That way all we have to do is wave as we pass (how friendly) and we can be allowed to use the facilities.

Wait, better yet, let's have chips implanted in our heads, it would be much more convenient for the management to have have us do what they want and would solve (maybe) the counterfeiting "problem". Reminds me of a certain movie I saw a few years ago.

Seriously though, I agree with Jan (Talk Host) 100%. If the "sheeple" go to sleep, that's when the government takes over. I don't want my grandkids growing up that way (but it's probably too late already). Let's allow people to express concern without brushing away their views to lightly.

I understand all the "good" reasons for ID'ing the residents. However, as "beady" points out, your TV card ties to your resident info at "Headquarters", which ties to your SS #, which ties to your ????? and whatever. Choice Point, the nations largest database repository and the "Safest" had millions of records compromised by hackers recently. I too feel that TV needs ONLY to know that I am "Legit" and to make a count. How about a "count" card.

As is it stands now, they can do any number of studies with the resident data. Maybe we should exclude folks over 75 from the pools because they have more "slip and fall" accidents? Oh, that would never happen would it? But it would be so much "safer" for them and our insurance costs would go down. On second thought, maybe it would be a good idea!!

Has anyone bothered to read the full "The Patriot Act" to see what hard fought liberties "we" ( our legislators) have given up in the name of safety? It's worth a read sometime, you'll be shocked and amazed!

Folks, just 'cause we're living in our little corner of paradise, let's not go to sleep completely!!
Old 01-13-2008, 04:22 PM

beady and others, do you have a proposal for keeping our rec facilities for current amenities paying residents only that could eliminate card scanning?
the bar codes on our id cards only came into place a few years ago perhaps you could spearhead a change to a better system.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

English...inform me what does the card contain and what are you are objecting to? The fact that one is a resident would NOT be sufficient....for example you could be a resident but NOT current on dues.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by beady
l2ridehd.. I worked at a large well known boot,shoe and clothing manufactuers corporate headquarters in NE. I entered that building every day with my ID badge. Our company security was very intense and necessary because we also housed a R&D facility for boot design. I never even gave the use of a badge a second thought. No one was going to share my corporate identity.
My objection here is who sees the information when I am scanned. Who has access to it and will it be shared. I do not think that is impossible. If the information can build a model for the demograpics of such a large successful community and it's operations, can we be sure the information would not be shared or sold to other individuals or companies. Demographics are an important tool in marketing.I think the sale of that information is entirely possible. Call me silly, paranoid or whatever you like. I do not like the policy and I will continue to disagree with it, as that is my right. I will also "follow the rules" as some suggest but not willingly,again because in this free country I can.
They must have tightened up on id scanning and the like. We have toured the rec facility with the Humprey Bogart figure several times with relatives since it opened and they I believe just noted how many people came with us. I do not remember the people at the front desk asking more than one person to see an Villages ID. They did not scan it as far as I remember either.

Do get my ID scanned just before entering Villages Computer Club meetings most of the time but it varies a lot when I have used pools. They do ask at billiards without exception but that seems to be the only occasion I can remember that the "policy" is closely followed.

I do think you have a good point about marketing research though even though that seems to pale in comparison to what they probably collect every time one of us uses a credit card to buy groceries at Publix, Albertson's or the Super Wal-Mart.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

beady.. You are right if your concern is what may be done with the infomation. perhaps that is something to find out from the powers that be. I certainly don't want any information sold or used for any other purpose then to know I have a right to be there. If the Villages facilities owners do that then they are subject to law suits and other damages. Sorry I misread your post. I still prefer they check for valid residents only using the place, but I also expect my privacy to be protected. If they don't I will be the first to help sponsor a class action suit. However so far I have no reason to believe that they do anything sinister with the information.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:28 PM

card scanning can't always take place as rec centers have limited "front desk" staff and that person must monitor usage of the pool and outdoor courts as well as the rec center's front desk.
i confess i don't recall exactly what info one must submit to obtain a village id card. are we sure our social security numbers were required? do do our property title and tax records contain that info?
Old 01-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

OK the main data base may contain some private information (not certain what), but you and I already provided whatever information they asked for when we became residents of TV. I never received any type of disclosure statement when I provided this information and If someone wanted to, im sure that information could already be sold. However that said, I cant even imagine what scanning at a rec center or ______ club could be of any value to someone other than providing information to TV that the participant is a valid dues paying resident and to collect some numbers for determining what is used to most/least. Please enlighten me otherwise!! The scan itself does not retrieve information from the main data base (other than verifying a vaild paying RESIDENT), but I see where it could add to it.

You can carry this to a real scare tactic that TV is collecting information everytime we scan our proximity card to enter a village gate. Lets talk about TOTV , we know there are tracking programs ( ie pages looked at per month etc) but how about programs that follow every key stroke you or I make, what boards/advertisers you visit, negative comments made against the establishment. Now are you less likely to use TOTV...I doubt it.

When you visit a new Doctor for the first time, the office requires you to fill out a questionaire proving all sorts of personal, financial and medical/drug information..do you question the purpose/value of giving up this information especially if you donot comply, the reply would be Sorry we cannot treat you without it. I wont even go into the new Governemnt "REAL ID" program that was announced this week.

Any information you provide anyone is only as safe as the weakest link in the system!Again the topic is important, and one should secure their personal identity information as much as possible. However I think you are making ......as they say "a mountain out of a mole hill" regarding the scanning of TV ID cards. The best we could ask for is a discloure statement but Im not certain one is required. Such a statement would state how the information scanned is /would/could be used and would any of it be used for a 3rd party financial gain....until the weakest link breaks!!!
Old 01-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,372 Times in 684 Posts

Scanning is a tool for TV to help administer the rules we all want in place to keep our paradise for us. If one isn't doing anything they aren't supposed to and also doing what is required (i.e. pay fees etc) then there is nothing to worry about. The system TV has in place works and sometimes that in itself bothers some.

If one wants to debate the philosophy of potential invasion of privacy that is OK too....

How about credit cards (go/no go)...
How about Turnpike passes (go/no go)....
Again if all is OK there is no problem. It is for the good of the majority and unpleasant for the minority (that is was designed to weed out)....

Designed for the benefit of those of us that do what is required....and signed up for....

When they were just looking at cards, those who would be not allowed tries flashing look alike cards to get in....and during busy times...it worked.

One last comment....it is not reasonable to expect people who man gates, or centers or doorways, etc to have to decide who should or should not be exempt from a given process. That only leads to when in doubt let 'em in.....the most efficient method is no exceptions...no judgements required....errors are minimalized...your safety and privacy are maximized.

If there is a big brother out there and his system that "watches" me gets the bad folks...good for the system!!

BTK

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.