Scary Roundabout Story

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Scary Roundabout Story

If you have navigated the gigantic traffic circle in Portsmith, NH, traffic circles in TV are less of a traumatic encounter. I have not yet seen anyone in TV going the wrong way which would freak me out but have also seen cars stop in the middle a couple of times.
Viet Nam
CT
TV
Old 01-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Gold member

I spent 1/2 of my adult life in eastern Massachusetts, and a good deal of time not far from the afore mentioned Portsmouth, NH circle. There are several roundabouts there...we called them rotary's. The difference being they were open, no buildings or high vegetation, so you had the whole picture of the traffic pattern in the rotary. Here they are landscaped and some have buildings, so it is hard to see the vehicle flow. Perhaps that contributes to the confusion for some who aren't familiar with their proper use. :dontknow: :dontknow:
Old 01-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by beady
I spent 1/2 of my adult life in eastern Massachusetts, and a good deal of time not far from the afore mentioned Portsmouth, NH circle. There are several roundabouts there...we called them rotary's. The difference being they were open, no buildings or high vegetation, so you had the whole picture of the traffic pattern in the rotary. Here they are landscaped and some have buildings, so it is hard to see the vehicle flow. Perhaps that contributes to the confusion for some who aren't familiar with their proper use. :dontknow: :dontknow:
Are the MA roundabouts bigger or the same size than the ones in TV? Heard that they were quite a bit bigger in eastern MA?

This link has an interesting picture. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout_intersection
Old 01-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Gold member

Good point Tal:
Yes, they are bigger and several of them connect major road ways, so it is imperative to know how to negotiate them.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:30 PM

As long as there are roundabouts in the Villages there will be driving issues with the navigation.

Drive defensively, please. :cop: :bow:
Old 01-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Sage
Default Scary Roundabout Story

Speaking of roundabouts and driving errors, I've seen people doing such ridiculous things it's as if they're on Candid Camera and just trying to provoke a reaction. Unfortunately they just sail along impervious to those around them.

The worst thing I've seen so far (and I've seen it twice) is automobiles driving in golf cart paths and approaching tunnels. :yikes: This seems to happen when there is no marker showing it is a divided path, and I guess drivers "mistake" the golf cart path for a roadway.

Be alert my friends!
Old 01-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Veteran member

I've said it before and I'll say it again, TV roundabouts are small and allowing double turn lanes in such a small circle is dangerous.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:34 PM

It seems to me that if everyone just used the right lane in a roundabout, you couldn't go wrong.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
t seems to me that if everyone just used the right lane in a roundabout, you couldn't go wrong.
Amen to that! In fact, when we moved here we took the class on golf cart driving. The Sumter County deputy was asked about driving ones car in a roundabout. That is exactly what the Sumter County deputy told us. "Just stay in the right lane!"
Tampa, FL
Old 01-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Veteran member

That's fine until the person on your left makes a right turn and you don't.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:12 AM
Platinum member

We always have to watch out. Seems wrong to make an exit from inner lane.
Tampa, FL
Old 01-21-2008, 12:37 AM

My experince --- roundabouts only make sense to people from Boston and London. All others are almost always confounded by the functioning aspects of a roundabout.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:50 AM

The right thing to do is obviously to be on the defensive,

Correct usage is to be in Rt lane only if you are taking the first Rt turn.
You need to be thinking as you are approaching the roundabout, where you will exit.
If it is any one except the first turn, you need to be in the left lane.

As an example: you are traveling south on Buena Vista and approacing the circle at Belvedere and Winifred. If you are exiting for Belvedere, you need to be in the Rt lane.
If you need to continue on Buena Vista, or exit to Winifred or U-Turn to go back north on Buena Vista, you would need to be in the left lane.

Ok , My wife and I are both civil engineers (wife specifically a traffic Engineer) and understand what is correct, and what actuallty happens.It will never be perfect, but believe me it would be much worst with traffic signals at each 4 way intersection.
If you nchecked accident statistics of accidents from folks running red lights down here, it would be scary.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:00 AM
Platinum member

Exit from the right lane only... continue in the center lane.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:27 AM

You are correct on what lane to be in BUT the local law says stay in the outside lane. These roundabouts are real small compared to most so they say stay out of the inner circle. As stated before we have been told that the roundabouts have the two lanes so trucks can get around them.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.