Scooter Licensing

Old 12-20-2007, 05:30 PM
Default Scooter Licensing

Does anyone have info on licensing a 49cc scooter. Where? Cost? Insurance? Would I need to be a Florida resident? Thanks

Old 12-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: Scooter Licensing

You get it registered same place as autos -- Tax Collector's Office. Cost varies on price you paid for it, if from out of state, etc. You do not have to insure it, but I would recommend you get insurance for your own sake. We use ours on many of the golf paths and my daughter has been run off the paths twice now (glad there's grass on both sides).

I don't know about residency requirements. You might give them a call at 352/753-1788.

Hope this helps a little.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein

Old 12-21-2007, 01:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If its under 49cc's then its treated like a bicycle..but you might stay off the cart paths as they are to fast for that, there is a scooter club in the villages and they can give you input on that, but they to don't ride on cart paths..

Fumar

Old 12-21-2007, 04:27 AM
Sage

Fumar, according to Florida DMV, even a 49cc has to be registered nowadays.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein

Old 12-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I will let you decide but my reading of these excerpts from the Florida Statue is that a motorized scooter or moped less than 50cc or 2 horsepower capable of not exceeding 30MPH is NOT required to be registered for it is not considered a motor vehicle

Definitions
21) MOTOR VEHICLE.--Any self-propelled vehicle not operated upon rails or guideway, but not including any bicycle, motorized scooter, electric personal assistive mobility device, or moped.

77) MOPED.--Any vehicle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels; with a motor rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground; and with a power-drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting gears by the operator after the drive system is engaged. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters

82) MOTORIZED SCOOTER.--Any vehicle not having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider, designed to travel on not more than three wheels, and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground.

Statutes
316.2128 Operation of motorized scooters and miniature motorcycles; requirements for sales.-

(1) A person who engages in the business of, serves in the capacity of, or acts as a commercial seller of motorized scooters or miniature motorcycles in this state must prominently display at his or her place of business a notice that such vehicles are not legal to operate on public roads or sidewalks and may not be registered as motor vehicles. The required notice must also appear in all forms of advertising offering motorized scooters or miniature motorcycles for sale. The notice and a copy of this section must also be provided to a consumer prior to the consumer's purchasing or becoming obligated to purchase a motorized scooter or a miniature motorcycle

320.02 Registration required; application for registration; forms.--

1(1) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, every owner or person in charge of a motor vehicle which is operated or driven on the roads of this state shall register the vehicle in this state. The owner or person in charge shall apply to the department or to its authorized agent for registration of each such vehicle on a form prescribed by the department. No registration is required for any motor vehicle which is not operated on the roads of this state during the registration period

Old 12-21-2007, 02:42 PM
Sage

A motorized scooter according to FL DMV does not have a seat. A moped has pedals. A miniature motorcycle is just that -- a motorcycle in itty bitty proportions. A 49cc scooter (as we're using the term here -- a moped without pedals) can exceed 30 MPH. They are actually street legal, can even be driven on the interstate if they can maintain a sustained speed of 40 mph (sounds real smart to me -- an itty bitty scooter being passed by SUVs going 70).

I did a bit of research before I bought my daughter one. If you don't ever drive it on a public road then you can get away without registering it but if an officer sees you even just driving it out of your driveway without a plate, you can get ticketed.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

My read of Florida Statue 316.212B which addresss Minature Motorcycles state they may not be registered as Motor Vechicles, therefore not subject to registration.

Let me be clear, I dont own a scooter, moped or minature motorcycle and I guess registration is subject to interpretation under the conditions upon which the scooter, moped or minature motorcycle will be used. I personally would not be riding one of these vehicles on any open public road like 466 or 441 but I probably would in my local village or to a town square.

As someone suggested this thread needs some input from members of the scooter club!

Old 12-21-2007, 06:41 PM

Thanks everyone, Guess I'll call the scooter club and see if they have sorted through the grey areas

Old 12-21-2007, 10:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Rekops
I'll try this one more time, If your scooter is under 49cc and does not exceed 30 mph. You do not have to register it. It is not considered a motor vehicle by florida law....You may ride it on any road in Florida except xpress ways as they have a minimum speed of 40 mph..I have owned one for six years and I ride mine everywhere ...The police will not ticket you for backing out of your driveway as some would have you to believe....
seatless motor scooters are what the kids ride around parking lots ....They have little electric motors on the rear wheel.....Mini motorcycles are the little machines you see for sale at Sams for kids 5 or 6 years old....They are not to be driven on streets at any time.....and thats what the law is addressing...
Over 50cc , its a motorcycle , register it and insure it.....Under 49cc Its a bicycle , just go ride it......enjoy , enjoy................

Old 12-22-2007, 02:00 AM
Sage

How does one back a motor scooter out of the driveway?
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)

Old 12-23-2007, 02:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Chuck
Now thats the most intelligent Question I've read read in awhile..........ha ha

Old 05-10-2013, 11:09 PM

Where is a good place to get a scooter?????

Old 05-11-2013, 06:44 AM
Sage

IMHO, the time has come for a call or visit to the DMV office to ask the people that actually provide the registrations.....or not.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Where is a good place to get a scooter????? IMO you probably need to go to honda or Yamaha dealer and look at honda ruckus or the Yamaha zuma... probably the two best made scooters IMO... Price ranges but around 2400 bucks. You can get you china model for 800 bucks more or less, but relieable could come into guestion and dealer support if something goes wrong. Twainee and Italian scooters are also good quality, but I can't Comment on them cause I never owned one except Zespa in the early 60's. The Zespa is excellent but they are in the 3 to 4 grand range.

I have yamaha C3 (not sold new at pressent time) it has 15153 miles on it and STILL runs like new... Zuma 50Fs and C3's are water cooled and fuel injected Makes them very relieable. I like the C3 cause it it built low, has retro look, and has big suit case storage under the seat that you can lock my tennis and pickleball rackets and stuff fits prefectly ( I think is 9 cubic feet of storage.) Honda ruckus is open frame style and very popular. These scooters are motorcycles with small engines on them. You can drive them anywhere, but NOT on interstate highways if your brave enough.. They will run atleast 30 to 35 mph and faster with minor modifications.

As far as the villages you can ride down the Mogal paths or streets, Golf cart drivers don't like it But they are path hogs just like on the street with cars. My scooter will out run any golf cart, But That don't mean I drive down the mogal path at speeds over 20 mph. When I get there pernmently I plan on using it as my main transportation. Tagged and insured just like the Big boys on the HD, but without the ego, the noise, and of course the best gas mileage.

As resident or visitor you have the right just like golf carts, bike riders, walkers to use the mogal paths to get from point A to B. 50CC Scooter is excellent choice for around the villages due to there excellent gas mileage and your not restricted to the diamond lanes or mogal paths.. My yamaha gets 125 Miles per gallon of gas. has range of 150 to 200 Miles before I have to fill the 1.3 gallon gas tank. Most all 50 CC scooters (unless highly modified) get atleast 80 to 100 MPH.

I suggest you Google 50 CC scooters find the style you like and go to dealer and test drive it if you have no experience with scooters. At least you can get feel for what they are like.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.