Seat Savers - The Selfish & Inconsiderate Rule. Courteous People: Stay Home

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2015, 04:33 AM
Veteran member

I was amazed to see all the seats, private and village owned lined up round SS, when I looked at camera, very early yesterday morning!!
Old 03-18-2015, 06:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Sadly, given past history, it is more likely that all chairs would be removed before those in charge would enforce a rule. seems the solution by those in charge is to ignore a problem until too many complain and then come up with most Draconian solution short of losing money. The entertainment will continue since it draws people to the squares, stores and restaurants and is a big part of the lifestyle advertised.

I guess that leaves it to individuals to take it upon themselves to remove ropes, etc. and plop themselves down. Maybe cards could be made citing the rule and leaving it with the offenders' items?
If YOU were in charge...WHAT would YOU do????? YOU really cannot follow through. YOU can say, yell, sign, stomp and have a hissy fit but that is about it. The only solution is to wait until minutes before the event and dole out the chairs.

Just what would YOU do if you were the people being criticized. Then as soon as the chairs are doled out and the folks are reminded and the signs go up, you will have some people calling the entertainment staff the chair ...No I cannot type that word.

It is an unsolvable problem. NO ONE CAN TELL ME what the "negligent, greedy, wussy" people can do to stop chair saving.

Can't you see the numerous meetings the unseen smart people have had and hashed this over and over?????? They are trying to respect our being adults and trying to continue to "sell" the friendliest home town. I cannot blame THEM.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:56 AM
Sage

Maybe if there were no chairs available...bring your own...and no roping allowed, people would feel a little less inclined to come at 8 a.m. and leave their own unroped chair unattended. Might be annoying for people initially but ...
Old 03-18-2015, 07:15 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I wonder how the people who attended the St. Patrick's Day parade in New York City handled these major issues......there were two million OF THEM WHO DECIDED TO GO HAVE SOME FUN today!!!!
It's first come, first served, just like our squares should be. What would happen if someone showed up on the parade route in NYC and tried to reserve a whole block for a group!
Old 03-18-2015, 07:15 AM
Veteran member

Seems to me they HAD a solution and used it right up until the employees were told not to enforce the rule any more. At one time, they picked up cushions, ropes, strings... now they don't.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:20 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
It has been said before and will be said again and again - You can always sell your house, make a very nice profit, and move to another community such as StoneCrest or Plantation.
...... and that line of thought works both ways.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
Seems to me they HAD a solution and used it right up until the employees were told not to enforce the rule any more. At one time, they picked up cushions, ropes, strings... now they don't.

They DID????? I can't recall this happening in the eight years we have been here.

What do they do on cruise ships???

I remember the first time anyone stepped in front of us in line at Disney years ago when our kids were small. I was SO mad. I had never been part of that happening. It is the same emotions we are all talking about. We were taught to think of others and respect others. We were taught it in Sunday School and regular school and our mothers who stayed home with us taught it to us..(OR ELSE)

We were expected to be nice. We were ......fill in the word.

Right is what I would use but naïve comes to mind too.

I hate that the world is changing like this. I am glad I was born when I was born.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
They DID????? I can't recall this happening in the eight years we have been here.

See the thread that you posted a link to.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
See the thread that you posted a link to.
OUCH.

Thank you, sir/madam. These chickens sure are smart on this forum.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:38 AM
Platinum member

Saving of blocks of seats is a rude, selfish, inconsiderate, and obnoxious practice that should be stopped. As long as we say "nothing can be done" then that is true. But some things can be done.

(1) Complain in the annual survey.
(2) Continue to complain on this forum.
(3) Complain to the Entertainment Department. This has already demonstrated a sympathetic, but ineffective response as our friend 2BNTV emailed Ms. Vesco and got a "we can't do anything about it" response. Still we need to let them know how we feel.
(4) Complain directly to the business interests in the town squares, who I'm told provide the funding for the entertainment. Let them know that they need to complain to Ms. Vesco also.
(5) Complain to the applicable sheriff's office and demand that they step in to provide some oversight and enforcement. You and they may say that they don't have any authority to do this, but I'm not sure about that. My though process is this: If an business or governmental entitiy creates policies to govern how they operate and someone willfully and aggressively violates those policies, doesn't the business have the right to seek assistance from law enforcement? EX: (a) Movie theater requires quiet during shows and someone obnoxiously and repeatedly violates that. (b) Clothing store stipulates a certain amount of clothing can be taken into the dressing room to try on at one time and someone insists on violating this repeatedly. (c) Concert venue stipulates that no one may be seated after the beginning of a performance until the first intermission, but someone repeatedly violates this. Are these examples absurd? Maybe, but not if they happen over and over and over again and cause as much public outcry as the seat ropers do.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cquick View Post
NO< there is so much positive about these events from The Villages getting publicity to the vendors making money to the restaurants getting more customers to The Village residents having fun participating!

The Events will go on.
I totally agree Connie . . I just wish people would deal with it!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 03-18-2015, 07:50 AM
Eternal Member

The St. Patrick's Day Parade is a once a year gig. Yes, seats are roped off, the square is extremely crowded, etc. That is not going to change. Either go or not. It is only once a year. Lots and lots of Villagers and visitors have a great time at the activities that day.

However, for the other non-event days of the year, there usually is no problem in finding seats at any of the squares.

I went to Spanish Springs a few nights ago to see the very good entertainment of Susie Casta. She put on a great show. People were plentiful but there were lots of chairs to be had by anyone who wanted one. We also went to Lake Sumter Landing last week to see A Slice of Lime (enjoyable Caribbean style music) and the 41 Corvettes of the Corvette Club. Once again, no chairs roped together and plenty to be had.

Go for yourselves to see if there is a problem with roped off areas. Arrive by 4:30 or so, bring a snack, a cooler, and enjoy the evening. We do.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:24 AM
Platinum member

Truly I believe that the simplest thing to do would be remove the chairs. As one poster mentioned in New York there are no chairs and we did just fine.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
Saving of blocks of seats is a rude, selfish, inconsiderate, and obnoxious practice that should be stopped. As long as we say "nothing can be done" then that is true. But some things can be done.

(1) Complain in the annual survey.
(2) Continue to complain on this forum.
(3) Complain to the Entertainment Department. This has already demonstrated a sympathetic, but ineffective response as our friend 2BNTV emailed Ms. Vesco and got a "we can't do anything about it" response. Still we need to let them know how we feel.
(4) Complain directly to the business interests in the town squares, who I'm told provide the funding for the entertainment. Let them know that they need to complain to Ms. Vesco also.
(5) Complain to the applicable sheriff's office and demand that they step in to provide some oversight and enforcement. You and they may say that they don't have any authority to do this, but I'm not sure about that. My though process is this: If an business or governmental entitiy creates policies to govern how they operate and someone willfully and aggressively violates those policies, doesn't the business have the right to seek assistance from law enforcement? EX: (a) Movie theater requires quiet during shows and someone obnoxiously and repeatedly violates that. (b) Clothing store stipulates a certain amount of clothing can be taken into the dressing room to try on at one time and someone insists on violating this repeatedly. (c) Concert venue stipulates that no one may be seated after the beginning of a performance until the first intermission, but someone repeatedly violates this. Are these examples absurd? Maybe, but not if they happen over and over and over again and cause as much public outcry as the seat ropers do.
It's called strength in numbers and everyone that is ****ed off about this has got to repeatedly complain and complain and complain to get something done. One person complaining is not going to do it. If a bunch of people go to the square and attempt to take a lot of seat savers chairs, there will be confrontation and no one wants to go to jail over a seat. A couple "un-reserving" two seats more than likely won't start anything; a bunch of people going down to a square "en masse" to cut rope and throw cushions in the trash - someone will get an ass whipping. Trust me on this - I know. Let your fingers start clicking and complain in numbers by written text over and over and over. The seat savers are persistent, people that don't like it have to be persistent also.

By the way, does any of the seat savers ever post on TOTV to justify their actions?
Old 03-18-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

What do they do on cruise ships???

I remember the first time anyone stepped in front of us in line at Disney years ago when our kids were small. I was SO mad. I had never been part of that happening. It is the same emotions we are all talking about. We were taught to think of others and respect others. We were taught it in Sunday School and regular school and our mothers who stayed home with us taught it to us..(OR ELSE)

We were expected to be nice. We were ......fill in the word.

Right is what I would use but naïve comes to mind too.

I hate that the world is changing like this. I am glad I was born when I was born.
Gracie. I don't know you yet, but I love your outlook and take on life.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.