Security Cameras

Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2023, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peazoup View Post
I would like to have security cameras (3) installed at my house. I don't know where to begin. What is the best system that doesn't require a subscription? How about installation, any suggestions as to who to call? Battery operated would be good or should I have electrical outlets installed? Love to hear from you if you've been this route. TIA
I have Google Nest. Pay $100 per year to have them keep my data. Worth it. I had Pike Electric install electrical outlets in my Soffit. 3 cost me $600. Never have to worry about replacing batteries. If I lose power, the cameras have a battery backup good for a week. Terrific resolution. Can monitor anywhere with my phone.
Old 04-12-2023, 06:42 AM
Default Security systems

Quote:
I would like to have security cameras (3) installed at my house. I don't know where to begin. What is the best system that doesn't require a subscription? How about installation, any suggestions as to who to call? Battery operated would be good or should I have electrical outlets installed? Love to hear from you if you've been this route. TIA
I use ADT for several reasons:
I buy the cameras, heat, smoke, motion, and glass breakage detectors and they do the installs, including adding power and internet connection. My cameras are accessible even when I’m traveling. (I check every day I’m away). No memory cards necessary because all instances of activity are recorded in the cloud. Activity is monitored by ADT 24/7 so if they get an alarm, they notify me immediately and also law enforcement if necessary. That alone lowers the cost of my homeowner’s insurance enough to offset the ~$60 a month monitoring fee. If you have pets, you can activate all entry and situational detectors(heat and smoke) and deactivate motion detectors. When ADT did the initial visit, they made recommendations I hadn’t thought of and let me choose how I wanted to proceed.

Last edited by ehendersonjr; 04-12-2023 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 04-12-2023, 06:43 AM

We picked up recently at Home Depot a Blink camera security system. Got the doorbell and then two outdoor cameras. Home Depot had a sale on this system so instead of paying $230.00 on Amazon we got this package for $135.00. This system was super easy to install. At this time, I am not subscribing to the Blink system as this package also came with what is called the Sync2 interface which with the plug-in flash drive, will record at all cameras. You can then view recordings later.
Old 04-12-2023, 07:01 AM

I have three Lorex technology company camera systems: one at a business in Virginia, my personal set up in Illinois, and my new residence in TV. Their technical support is unparalleled in the business. I can monitor all systems remotely on my phone. You would have a DVR for the recording, and the power for all cameras, originate at one location inside your home, thus you wouldn’t need outlets. Wi-Fi is another option, but you would need outlets close to each camera location.
Old 04-12-2023, 07:51 AM

I purchased a Tiger Security DVR (digital video recorder) and high definition cameras through Amazon. I purchased the DVR without a hard drive and added a 6 terabyte Western Digital hard drive to the system. I added six cameras, using two megapixel cameras on the sides of my house, and five megapixel cameras in the front and rear, which cover the golf course behind my home and the street out in front. All of the cameras have infrared and motion detection functionality.

The cameras are powered directly from the DVR using an RG 59 cable. The cable is designed so that the DVR acts as the camera power source as well as the video transmission line back to the unit. Installation was relatively simple and you have the ability to set specific areas of each camera viewing area and sensitivity to send alarms. When a motion alarm is triggered, the unit can send you an email along with a photo of the area that detected the motion.

I have been using this unit for three years and other than having to replace, the external power supply one time at a cost of $14, the unit has performed flawlessly.

Bottom line is that there are a lot of great systems on the market. It just depends how much functionality you really think you need and what the intended purpose of the system is for. If you just need shopping for deterrence, one or two outside, cameras may be perfect for your situation. If you are looking for something that will record evidence of an event, or a crime, then perhaps more cameras and higher quality cameras, as well as offsite cloud, storage might be more appropriate .
Old 04-12-2023, 07:52 AM

Try Village Alarm. Dave will answer all your questions. No high-pressure sales. 352-446-0278
Old 04-12-2023, 08:01 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,138 Times in 1,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
With all the electronics, camera's, ring doorbell, alarm systems, a thief would be crazy to try to brick in any given house today
Thief's have no fear of being caught anymore.
Old 04-12-2023, 09:11 AM
Default Cameras

Quote:
Try Wyze cameras. I’ve had them for years, easy to install, very inexpensive.
Old 04-12-2023, 09:13 AM
Default Security system, cameras

Quote:
We purchased our security camera system from Costco. We chose to have hardwired cameras so we don’t have to continuously replace or charge batteries it comes with a NVR recorder that records 24 hours around the clock. It’s got a 2 TB hard drive all you really need to do is purchase the system and then hire an electrician to install your cameras so that they’re hardwired, we have that in our home in Michigan and when we move full-time to The Villages we will be installing the same system. You can monitor it yourself from anywhere on your cell phone. It’s a great system you can spend anywhere from 400 to 1000 I think we spent 500 we got eight cameras that all have color night vision an alarm and two-way talking The system we chose is called Lorex
Old 04-12-2023, 09:16 AM

I love the blink camera system. I have them in the house up north and down here. I can see and control all from one app on my phone. Super easy setup.
Blink is motion activated so if anyone steps in your house, it will notify you with video within seconds.
I don't have a monthly subscription. Not sure what that provides.
The cameras are battery powered so no wires to run. The batteries last at least a year or more.
They cameras can tell you the temperature.
One important thing to note is that blink (as with most other brands) must have a working wifi internet connection.
You can't shut down your internet down while away.
If you google the subject, there will be many comparisons of brands.
Good luck.

Last edited by FastAndCurious; 04-12-2023 at 09:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-12-2023, 12:59 PM
Default Amazon Blink cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
This recent discussion may be of use.

Outdoor Cameras as part of Security System?
We have Blink outdoor security cameras. You can pay a monthly subscription OR you can just store on a thumb drive. Works great. We monitor our home while we're on vacation.
Old 04-12-2023, 02:14 PM

We have a Google Nest doorbell and floodlight camera. $12 per month provides 60 days storage for all of your devices. The image quality, alerts, facial recognition and ease of use are phenomenal.

I get an alert, with the persons name (if recognized) when they pull up into out driveway. Very nice.

Also have cameras connected to a Network Video Recorder. They suck. I plan to replace them with Google Nest Cams.
Old 04-12-2023, 02:18 PM

I have Blink and Wyze. Wyze has better resolution and does better in dark areas. We have cameras on the doors and garage and in pet areas. The pet sitter knows and puts on a show for us.
Old 04-12-2023, 02:35 PM
Default Cameras

i would go with Hard Wire and i used Village Alarms

Quote:
Old 04-12-2023, 07:33 PM

I have a complete Ubiquiti UniFi system that I personally installed. I hardwired cameras around my home that I can view from anywhere, with local backup so no cloud storage (and no subscription). Everything is powered via CAT6 cabling.

Fantastic setup.

Hike naked, it adds color to your cheeks!
Closed Thread

Tags
security, cameras, installed, electrical, call

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.