Sensitive Smoke Alarm

Closed Thread
Old 12-21-2023, 04:45 PM
Default Same issue

For what it’s worth, our new home had the same issue. Since it was soon after we moved in, we called the Villages. They fixed it (probably the builder. I don’t recall the cause, but I do know that no smoke detectors were moved.
Old 12-21-2023, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Looking for some advice for what appears to be a sensitive smoke alarm.

In the last few months, anytime I fry bacon, or stir fry any type of meat on the stove, my smoke alarms are triggered, even though I am running the vent that is mounted above my gas stove and under my micro wave. After a few minutes of the alarm sounding, I’m usually able to get it to go off by running my ceiling fans, opening windows and waving a towel under the alarm itself.

Although there is some smoke rising from the pan, I don’t think it’s an excessive amount. It’s happened now several times in the past month or so.

So do you think it’s the vent, or the smoke alarm (or both).?

Thanks for any advice.
I have the same problem. It happens once in a while. Soon as I open the door and put the fan on it stops.
Old 12-21-2023, 08:58 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,757 Times in 467 Posts

Thanks for all the responses.

Today I cooked a pizza in the oven at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, and the alarm went off - I didn’t see any visible smoke.
Old 12-21-2023, 10:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,601 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses.

Today I cooked a pizza in the oven at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, and the alarm went off - I didn’t see any visible smoke.
Many years back there was an issue with smoke detectors. Honestly don’t remember what was the problem, but we contacted the company. Gave them the model and serial number, and sent out free replacements for all 7 detectors. No problems after the new ones were changed. Wouldn’t hurt to give the a call
Old 12-22-2023, 07:59 AM

Random thoughts...
Do not just disconnect it. Do not tape over it. That's stupid. They are placed to quickly and properly detect fires and save your life.
My microwave is vented out the roof. BS to the "no microwaves are vented outside" opinions. Go outside and look for the vent pipes on the roof, and in soffits. I have 4 - dryer and microwave out roof, 2 bathrooms via soffit. Plumbing vents are a straight up pipe; air vents are the folded over shielded flat square things; attic vents are typ much larger flat round things near the peaks.
Microwaves can be configured to vent externally, or right back into the room. If they are not removing the smoke, they are not helping. Yours might be installed incorrectly. They are heavy and awkward if you decide to fix it yourself.
Smoke detectors have a lifetime. They do weird things as they get old. There are ionization and particulate styles. Each has its purpose.
Maybe you simply got a defective detector?

I think your house is new. Call warranty. Likely 100% covered repair. But if they refuse...
Swap detectors. See if problem follows the location or device. If that detector is bad, and it means climbing a ladder a second time to replace it, and that's not your desire, buy a replacement now and climb once. If the swapped detector now alerts, highly likely that both are working. Yet still a very tiny chance both are defective. Definitive answer is to replace it with new.
Your experience is not typical. I can cook without setting them off, even without the vent running. Detector is 15ft from stove. I've tested it rarely/occasionally, it really does work, and the vent fan took care of that cooking oops quickly.

Lastly, the fire dept might help. In specific, if you have a vent on the roof for the microwave, they have thermal image cameras and can look at your roof vent temperature. You need a time when there is a temperature difference between inside and outside. It's 56deg here now. The vent would be 56 also. Now turn on the vent and the inside air should heat it up if properly venting inside air out that vent. They can see that thermally from the ground.
Old 12-22-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:

In the last few months, anytime I fry bacon, or stir fry any type of meat on the stove, my smoke alarms are triggered, even though I am running the vent that is mounted above my gas stove and under my micro wave. After a few minutes of the alarm sounding, I’m usually able to get it to go off by running my ceiling fans, opening windows and waving a towel under the alarm itself.

Although there is some smoke rising from the pan, I don’t think it’s an excessive amount. It’s happened now several times in the past month or so.

Thanks for any advice.
Our alarms were doing the same thing when we moved into our house. I finally checked the detectors and found that one wasn’t wired up completely, I attached the wire and the problem went away. Just something to check and hopefully you find a solution for an annoying problem.
Old 12-22-2023, 09:55 AM
Default Vegan?

Quote:

Thanks for any advice.

You’re clearly triggering a plant-based detector. Simply replace it with a carnivore model.
Old 12-22-2023, 10:02 AM

Happens to us as well, we use it as a food timer!!
Old 12-22-2023, 01:54 PM
Smile smoke detectors

When i first was married i had to tell my new bride dinner was done long before that
alarm went off.
Old 12-22-2023, 02:38 PM

I'm assuming that you have a detector in or near the kitchen that's the problem. If so, I'd just disconnect it. If that somehow disrupts the circuit of con
nected detectors, I'd try covering the vent holes in the cover of the detector with tape, shutting off the flow of air to the internal chambers of the detector.[/QUOTE]

Please don't tape over s smoke detector. Tampering with a smoke detector could be a crime if charged for reckless endangerment to property. You not only endanger your own property and life, but also your neighbors' and the firefighters. You likely invalidate your homeowner insurance if there is a fire and the smoke alarm did not go off because of actions you took.
Old 12-22-2023, 03:46 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,757 Times in 467 Posts

For those who have asked - I just passed my one year, so I won’t be able to call the warranty dept.

I’m in a patio villa with an open floor plan - the alarm is not located in my kitchen, but very high up in my hallway, just outside my master bedroom (the second alarm is located inside my master bedroom, also very high up next to the ceiling.)
Old 12-22-2023, 03:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
For those who have asked - I just passed my one year, so I won’t be able to call the warranty dept.

I’m in a patio villa with an open floor plan - the alarm is not located in my kitchen, but very high up in my hallway, just outside my master bedroom (the second alarm is located inside my master bedroom, also very high up next to the ceiling.)
Which of the many tips and tricks in the thread have you tried so far? The only other thing I could think of is the possibility they put in a garage type detector. Usually garage detectors detect heat rather than smoke particles. I found this out working on a hot engine in my garage in Massachusetts. You mentioned cooking with barely any smoke. Long shot but worth checking.
Old 12-22-2023, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,895 Times in 5,320 Posts

///
Old 12-22-2023, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,895 Times in 5,320 Posts

Quote:

As others have mentioned, the first thing to try is to replace the detector with the exact same type. You just rotate the detector counterclockwise, pull it off of the base, unplug it, and plug in the new one. This will tell you if the issue is a defective detector or an air flow problem. Note that the absence of smoke has nothing to do with the alarm going off. The detectors do not detect smoke, they detect invisible ionized particles.
Old 12-22-2023, 08:19 PM

The person who invents a voice deactivated smoke alarm will become a multimillionaire. 'Im cooking, shut off for 15 minutes'.
FWIW, if my oven is cooking at 425 degrees, its even money whether or not the alarm goes off.
Closed Thread

Tags
alarm, smoke, it’s, sensitive, stove

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.