A Service Dog?

Closed Thread
Old 08-16-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
It really saddens me to read all the people bashing on here.
I have a friend who lost her husband a couple of years ago after 55 years of marriage. He was her world and did everything. After he passed away, she mostly stayed in the house depressed and crying. Her friends tried to help, but it was so hard on her. Some of us talked her into getting a little dog. Needless to say, the dog is now her life. Several of us think that little fur baby saved her.
Yes, she doesn't go anywhere without her little dog. So what. She now gets out some instead of being shut in. They don't hurt anyone. I truly believe, contrary to what others say, that this dog is a service dog, therapy dog, whatever.
She's not an evil person "gaming the system". She's a wonderful person. She just needed a little help to help her get through life.
God bless her. She and her fur baby can sit by me any day.
I'm happy for your friend.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:25 AM

Good info!
Old 08-22-2017, 08:29 PM

I was at one of the regional rec centers and a man came into the line dance class, with a dog in a stroller. I inquired at the front desk if this was allowed and was told rec center employees are not allowed to question anyone claiming to have a comfort dog.
Does not sound right to me.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodder1 View Post
I was at one of the regional rec centers and a man came into the line dance class, with a dog in a stroller. I inquired at the front desk if this was allowed and was told rec center employees are not allowed to question anyone claiming to have a comfort dog.

Does not sound right to me.

https://www.ada.gov/cguide.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2017, 12:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KakiOmmm View Post
I help with service dog training and they are real service dogs. I continue to hope for the goodness of humanity and less judgement of other people's lives.
Kudos to anyone that helps train service dogs, it can't be easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodder1 View Post
I was at one of the regional rec centers and a man came into the line dance class, with a dog in a stroller.
The dog probably didn't enjoy being at the line dance class, especially if it had to learn the New Jersey Shuffle.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Home

The REAL thing
Yes!

This organization is the "real thing."
We have been a financial supporter to them for many years.
They are remarkable.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:56 AM
Veteran member
Thumbs down Not A Good Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
I'm not sure when this happened, I guess I wasn't paying attention. At what point in our society did the distance between man and beast become blurred. I love my dog and I keep a definite boundary between the dog and me, it's master. I do not tolerate my dog on furniture which includes the BED, uggh. Any business that needs to be done is done OUTSIDE. None of that wee wee pad nonsense, REALLY ? Only human pigs allow this. When it comes time to put my dog down, he goes down. I will not spend $15K to extend it's life for another 6 months. At the end, I will dig a hole 6' deep and place my beloved companion wrapped in his favorite blanket and place him at the bottom of his final resting spot. Along with his favorite toys. As I backfill his new home I'll think of all the good times we had together knowing that the distance we kept between us was healthy for BOTH of us, for I'm his master and he the dog.
I assume you are speaking about your home here. Please do not do that.
It won't be your home forever and would be horrible for someone to be digging a hole to plant something and . . .
I don't think I have to be graphic.
In addition, I don't think burying an animal on a residential lot is legal.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:28 PM
Veteran member
Default dogs that don't bark..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
I was at Spanish Springs this evening for the Rocky and the Rollers entertainment. They were excellent, as usual.

A few minutes before 5, a couple walked onto the square with their dog and took seats near me. In a couple of minutes, I go over and engage them in conversation. Their dog was wearing a vest that read, "Service Dog...Do Not Pet". I definitely can respect that in a service dog. This was a ShiuTsu! We got talking and I asked what kind of service the ShiuTsu performed. The man said his wife was a little hard of hearing. When the husband is out of the house, the dog will bark when someone rings the doorbell so his wife knows someone is there.

What dog doesn't bark when someone comes to the door? For this, they bought a service vest and can take the dog into restaurants, fly it free on airplanes, and stay in pet-free hotels with no extra charge.

I totally understand appreciating a dog announcing a visitor to someone hard of hearing ...but to take it to the squares, etc ... is gaming the system. What service was the dog going to do outdoors, going to a restaurant, on a plane, etc since the service only applied at their house?

Don't get me wrong, no one loves dogs or cats more than me - but gaming the system like this just rankled my feathers - so to speak.

My lovely wife just said that I do not know if this couple would do all those things and maybe the service vest was just to kindly tell people not to pet the dog. I did not think of that. It is a possibility either way.
I have a five year old black lab rescue that really only barks in his sleep. Lots of dogs don't bark at the door.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:00 PM
Kup Kake

Wow. After reading many of the comments made in this thread, I am certain that TV is NOT America's Friendliest Home Town!
Old 08-27-2017, 11:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
I assume you are speaking about your home here. Please do not do that.

It won't be your home forever and would be horrible for someone to be digging a hole to plant something and . . .

I don't think I have to be graphic.

In addition, I don't think burying an animal on a residential lot is legal.

My property is large enough. If by chance someone digs a hole to plant whatever, it won't be as deep as I would bury my buddy.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigal View Post
Sometimes, it's just best to close the book on other people's disabilities. as our job is really to love our neighbors as ourselves. The "why's", we just have to let go of sometimes.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:18 PM

Interesting note: some dogs (often small in stature) can actually smell/detect a hypoglycemic attack in those who suffer from diabetes. Dogs are trained by an organization called Cancer and Bio-detection Dogs. These dogs also are trained to detect increased levels in those who have Bladder Cancer. Some of the smallest pups could be on duty and you might assume it was a spoiled lapdog....Just proves, you never know what another person's story is....if the dog is not disturbing you....live and let live.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:58 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

It is perfectly ok to ask the owner what kind of service his dog provides as long as the conversation is carried in a friendly manner.

However, the public belongs to us all, and if the service dog or its owner is being offensive in some manner, we have the right to remind the owner public is public, not private.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

A service dog for someone who has a medical problem is one thing...........and another is to just carry one's pet about because the person "wants to". And in so doing blatantly fib about it.

I don't know why that annoys me so much but it does.

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-25-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:10 AM

I put the "service" dog in the same category as the family members of a handicapped person parking in a "Handicapped" parking spot. JMHO
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, service, wife, vest, couple

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.