Short Term Rentals Impacting Quality of Life

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2023, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,068 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I just found out why one of the houses in our neighborhood looks like crap, now that it's been sold, and why one of my neighbors is thinking about moving. Turns out - the person who bought the house - is living in it. But she sectioned off her living room and is renting it BY THE NIGHT to whoever answers an ad in an Orlando newspaper, for only $50/night.

She parked her car blocking one neighbor's driveway a couple of times. And another time she parked IN a neighbor's driveway. And no she didn't have permission - the neighbor comes home from work at lunch time every day and wasn't able to park in her own driveway because the other person had their car in it. I've also seen an SUV outside in front of this person's house - not pulled over, but just - parked - in the road. Basically turning our street into a one-lane street.

All of this is happening with just one property in the neighborhood. I've told my neighbors next time this lady or her tenant blocks their driveway, to not confront them. Just call the police. And next time they park IN a neighbor's driveway - don't confront. Call the police.

Don't bother with community watch, they can't do anything about it. Blocking someone's driveway, and trespassing on someone's property - are both things the police are paid to handle.
Yeah, they’d do it only once in our driveway. Husband would make sure they couldn’t move their car. (Big city living problems.)
Old 04-18-2023, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
It was sure NOT insignificant when several days in a row I could not get even a chair in my neighborhood pool because of the number of people under 40 crowding everyone out!
I also noticed that also, but my annoyance about being CROWDED was offset by the sheer beauty of the under-40 ladies at the pool. MANY were aesthetically pleasing and quite interesting. I talked to one that traveled all over Europe and especially Israel.
.......The problem with a SMALL number of the under-40 crowd is that some that are living in TV Land are hard-core unemployables and have difficult emotional problems.
Old 04-18-2023, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybersprings View Post
Along the same lines of any progress in this area, does anyone know if there has been any progress in outlawing dogs in the squares so that my experience for entertainment and the farmers market would be better? Or not allowing dogs to live in the villages? I was promised a heavenly lifestyle in the villages, and it is greatly reduced by having dogs at the table next to me at the restaurants, or barking at the other dogs at the square, or doing their business on the sidewalk and being left there by the owner (brownwood about 3 weeks ago) or the permanent resident next to me who allows their dog out without a leash to do his business in the circle landscaping in front of our house or sometimes in my yard. My experience is greatly reduced by knowing that every place I walk in the grass or stand off the sidewalk at the square to let people pass by me that I am standing in a dog latrine. I hate knowing that everytime I go to the grocery store and put food in my cart that there is a good chance that someone has had their dog in it just before me. Or has there been any progress on outlawing the year round residents who go to the adult pools and talk so loudly with others non-stop for hours while I am just trying to relax at the pool and I really don't care about all the stuff they are telling someone else loudly? Or has there been any progress on outlawing year-round residents from having parties at their house (but only those I am not invited to) where they are loudly enjoying themselves outside and cars are parked in front of my house . On a similar note, does someone know if it is cheaper or easier to replace a sprinkler head broken by a year round resident who parked on my lawn at the party of another year round resident than those that are broken by a short term renter? Thanks for any info you have on the progress made in the areas that lower my home experience in the villages (and reduce demand by others who don't want to experience them) because of year round residents.
Many TV Landers are hard of hearing, so they talk VERY, VERY loud. At the pool, I always take earplugs or earphones to defend against that loudness.
Old 04-18-2023, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,068 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
I also noticed that also, but my annoyance about being CROWDED was offset by the sheer beauty of the under-40 ladies at the pool. MANY were aesthetically pleasing and quite interesting. I talked to one that traveled all over Europe and especially Israel.
.......The problem with a SMALL number of the under-40 crowd is that some that are living in TV Land are hard-core unemployables and have difficult emotional problems.
You must be going to a different pool than me. First, you wouldn’t get in, that, is you’d need to stand as no chair is available. Second, ladies under 40 are not necessarily pleasant looking. The good looking ones missed my pool, I think.

Last edited by Velvet; 04-18-2023 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-18-2023, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
What is the worst example of bad behavior by the STR crowd?

We have several STRs in my area and I have never had a problem. Most of them are decent, quiet people who can't afford to stay in a hotel at Disney World. They usually leave early in the morning and come home in the evening.

If it were all spring breakers going to Daytona Beach or college kids having a bachelor's party, it would be a different crowd and I can imagine there would be problems.
Or Miami, as well
Old 04-19-2023, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisa View Post
I love the idea of Airbnb. Obviously others love it also, since it is all around the world and very successful. I have been a renter and rented out my own home. Renting an Airbnb home is much more comfortable than staying in a hotel and you get a lot more for your money. It is fun to rent out my house on Airbnb because I like fixing it up, making it cute and comfortable, and little extras to make my guests happy. With that said my house is one and half hours from the wine country in California. Anyone interested?
A house in the Villages AND one you use as a rental in the Napa Valley? Wow, you are livin’ large!

Last edited by Escape Artist; 04-19-2023 at 12:58 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
rentals, county, term, residential, pay

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.