Short Term Rentals Impacting Quality of Life

Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2023, 09:47 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,136 Times in 562 Posts
Default Short Term Rentals Impacting Quality of Life

Have steps been taken to move forward an agenda to limit short term rentals in Sumter County or the residential neighborhoods of the Villages?

Air BnBs and VRBOs have inundated the housing community of The Villages, Florida. Currently there are 1,200 units utilized in this capacity. Two and three day temporary renters come and go in otherwise quiet neighborhoods degrading property values and use facilities that others pay for monthly and for the longer haul in expenses.

Sumter County should mirror nearby Clearwater Beach guidelines for renting. The city does not allow short-term rentals in residentially zoned districts. This means that residential property owners cannot lease or rent out their properties for less than 31 days or one calendar month. While residential properties can be advertised as monthly rentals, they cannot be advertised for daily or weekly rentals.

Residents involved pay amenities and additional long term costs to live in a gated community atmosphere for two person occupancy.

Are there petitions? Is county government involved yet? If not, does anyone have ideas to move the county forward towards compliance of the majority of voters needs?

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 04-15-2023, 10:39 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,856 Times in 3,690 Posts

"otherwise quiet neighborhoods degrading property values".....any factual support??

"Sumter County should mirror nearby Clearwater Beach guidelines for renting"....county wide guidelines??????...............good luck with that.

Old 04-15-2023, 10:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,136 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
"otherwise quiet neighborhoods degrading property values".....any factual support??

"Sumter County should mirror nearby Clearwater Beach guidelines for renting"....county wide guidelines??????...............good luck with that.

We’ll just surround your house with rentals and you can tell us if life improved or if your property value increased….lol

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 04-15-2023, 10:56 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,425 Times in 1,468 Posts

There are streets in TV that do not allow rentals, they should make more of them for those that it bothers.
Old 04-15-2023, 10:57 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,306 Times in 564 Posts

Good time to bail for STONECREST ..
Old 04-15-2023, 11:03 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,392 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
We’ll just surround your house with rentals and you can tell us if life improved or if your property value increased….lol
If you do a Google search for “short term rentals ruining neighborhoods” you will see that it is already a huge and growing problem. The short term rental industry has a large group of lobbyists dedicated to preventing legislation to restrict them.

I think in an over 55 community it is an even bigger problem because people buy into an over 55 community for safety and security not a revolving door of strangers in a cheap hotel.
Old 04-15-2023, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,459 Times in 2,097 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Have steps been taken to move forward an agenda to limit short term rentals in Sumter County or the residential neighborhoods of the Villages?

Air BnBs and VRBOs have inundated the housing community of The Villages, Florida. Currently there are 1,200 units utilized in this capacity. Two and three day temporary renters come and go in otherwise quiet neighborhoods degrading property values and use facilities that others pay for monthly and for the longer haul in expenses.

Sumter County should mirror nearby Clearwater Beach guidelines for renting. The city does not allow short-term rentals in residentially zoned districts. This means that residential property owners cannot lease or rent out their properties for less than 31 days or one calendar month. While residential properties can be advertised as monthly rentals, they cannot be advertised for daily or weekly rentals.

Residents involved pay amenities and additional long term costs to live in a gated community atmosphere for two person occupancy.

Are there petitions? Is county government involved yet? If not, does anyone have ideas to move the county forward towards compliance of the majority of voters needs?
You pretty much know from the other thread that there has not been any movement.

It is possible that Florida State law prohibits Sumter County from making any movement.

1,200 rentals out of 70,000 (about 2%) hardly seems like an inundation.

Not all 1,200 units are used for one or two day (or less than 31 day) rentals.

A demand for houses, even if only to use as a rental, would seem to drive property values up, not down.

All homeowners pay monthly for amenities whether they live here full-time, part-time, or rent to others.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-15-2023, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
Not a chance.
Old 04-15-2023, 11:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
Knowing what I know now, if I did decide to move the first question I would ask is do you allow short term rentals and move on if they say yes. We have one in our neighborhood and it is very disruptive if we continue to get more moving may be an option.

Last edited by oldtimes; 04-15-2023 at 11:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-15-2023, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,031 Times in 4,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
There are streets in TV that do not allow rentals, they should make more of them for those that it bothers.
Streets????? STREETS???????

Didn't realize every "street" had its own government with the ability to pass laws and enforce them. Hmmmmm...... I'll have to make a list of "laws" I'd like to make for my street.
Old 04-15-2023, 11:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post

Didn't realize every "street" had its own government with the ability to pass laws and enforce them. Hmmmmm...... I'll have to make a list of "laws" I'd like to make for my street.
Money talks
Old 04-15-2023, 11:25 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,856 Times in 3,690 Posts

As an example................

Airbnb shows 30 rentals between 466a & 44 and 70 rentals South of 44.

This includes short-term and long-term rentals.

Doesn't smell like a significant issue for the County to attack.

Checked a number of rental periods in the summer months when most if not are available.
Old 04-15-2023, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,459 Times in 2,097 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post

Each "Unit" has its own deed restrictions. I have seen a deed restriction for one unit that did seem to prohibit rentals. Unfortunately, I can't remember now which one it was.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-15-2023, 11:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Money talks
Not like that. Unless it's Rodeo Drive or Fifth Ave.
Old 04-15-2023, 11:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Each "Unit" has its own deed restrictions. I have seen a deed restriction for one unit that did seem to prohibit rentals. Unfortunately, I can't remember now which one it was.
That would be nice---in which case I guess each unit could petition their CDD to add such a deed restriction. But I doubt it would be legal to do it retroactively. Also, that's a whole unit and a restriction made by the governing body, the CDD, not a single street, and not made by the homeowners.
Closed Thread

Tags
rentals, county, term, residential, pay

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.