Should dogs be allowed in a grocery store?

Old 08-14-2023, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,652 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Can anyone explain why so many dog owners need to bring their dogs with them to grocery stores, restaurants, etc!
Why cant the dog stay at home?
A lady at Publix yelled at the Manager when he asked her to remove her dog
This is a direct quote from her.

“If I leave Harley at home he will ignore me for a week…he will run away if I don’t take him every time I walk out the door”

She proceeded into the store and the dog squatted on the floor, which she walked away from.

Manager had to clean the mess.. but on an up note he was congratulated from many for trying

Old 08-14-2023, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,733 Times in 3,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Why is it necessary for a dog to be brought in a store around other people's food? What good would a service dog even provide while in a grocery store? Sorry but unless you are blind I don't get it.
There are dogs trained to sense seizures before they happen. Having one can help increase someone's independence. A flickering fluorescent light overhead in a supermarket can trigger an epileptic seizure in some people. A trained service dog would press against the owner's leg, warning him that something is about to happen so he can get down to the floor and prepare for it. A service dog would also bark to attract attention, so that his owner can get immediate help.

A PTSD service animal can sense an anxiety attack before it happens, and assist its owner in getting fresh air, or discouraging people from coming too close, or whatever else it's trained to do.

There are service animals who actually pull the wheelchairs of people who have limited use of their hands and legs.

People with mobility problems can use service animals who are trained to provide them with stability and pacing when standing, walking, and sitting back down.

There exist people with psychiatric issues, who can use service dogs to prevent or interrupt impulsive or potentially dangerous behaviors. The dogs are trained to know the signs of a triggering event.

There are others - but those are some examples.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Can anyone explain why so many dog owners need to bring their dogs with them to grocery stores, restaurants, etc!
Why cant the dog stay at home?
A sign of mental illness. They think the dogs are their children.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,080 Times in 2,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
I read that the Publix at Magnolia Plaza has two large signs that says dogs are not allowed in their store.

Do you think dogs should be allowed in a grocery store?

IMO no, only seeing eye dogs for the blind. Otherwise, real service dogs.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,080 Times in 2,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
There are dogs trained to sense seizures before they happen. Having one can help increase someone's independence. A flickering fluorescent light overhead in a supermarket can trigger an epileptic seizure in some people. A trained service dog would press against the owner's leg, warning him that something is about to happen so he can get down to the floor and prepare for it. A service dog would also bark to attract attention, so that his owner can get immediate help.

A PTSD service animal can sense an anxiety attack before it happens, and assist its owner in getting fresh air, or discouraging people from coming too close, or whatever else it's trained to do.

There are service animals who actually pull the wheelchairs of people who have limited use of their hands and legs.

People with mobility problems can use service animals who are trained to provide them with stability and pacing when standing, walking, and sitting back down.

There exist people with psychiatric issues, who can use service dogs to prevent or interrupt impulsive or potentially dangerous behaviors. The dogs are trained to know the signs of a triggering event.

I consider those rare, not common place beings dogs were in stores regularly. The sign send message to the emotional support dogs are now not allowed.

Old 08-14-2023, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,776 Times in 1,568 Posts

I can certainly understand the objections of some of the folks here to having dogs in grocery stores (with the exception of bona fide service animals), but to be honest, as long as the dog is well-mannered and on a leash, it just doesn't bother me that much.

Except the dogs riding in carts. People put food into those carts and I doubt they are sterilized after every use.

Old 08-14-2023, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,421 Times in 5,512 Posts

Yesterday went to the dollar store on 466A just off Powell.

Lady had dog on a leash sniffing everything in sight.

Asked the cashier if they allow it she said they do not, but she ignored the dog.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:26 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,453 Times in 1,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post

A few, but what about all those other dogs that don't do anything but cause trouble. There is fast acting meds for anxiety and panic attacks, you don't need a dog to tell you when to take them.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,425 Times in 4,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
I read that the Publix at Magnolia Plaza has two large signs that says dogs are not allowed in their store.

Do you think dogs should be allowed in a grocery store?
What a thought provoking question that hasn't been discussed in what, 3-4 days?

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty

Old 08-14-2023, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,884 Times in 1,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
What a thought provoking question that hasn't been discussed in what, 3-4 days?

The Villages Florida
Especially since the other ground hog day thread was closed...

Old 08-14-2023, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,015 Times in 5,373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post

“If I leave Harley at home he will ignore me for a week…he will run away if I don’t take him every time I walk out the door”

She proceeded into the store and the dog squatted on the floor, which she walked away from.

Manager had to clean the mess.. but on an up note he was congratulated from many for trying
All the manager had to do was to tell the lady that she won't be able to check out.

Old 08-14-2023, 11:18 AM
Veteran member

NO, unless a true service dog.

Old 08-14-2023, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,080 Times in 1,779 Posts

No. It is disgusting and unhygienic to have a dog near my food, or in my grocery cart etc … and yes I am a dog lover. A dog is not of human species and will never become one no matter how much you might want it to, or love it.

Old 08-14-2023, 12:06 PM

I'll write it in Spanish,
. . . . . No!

Old 08-14-2023, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post

That realy "burns" me. He told her not to come in with a dog, then cleans up the dogs pee while she is waltzing around the store like Lady Muck. Oh I wish I had been there for that.

Tags
dogs, allowed, store, grocery, large

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.