Should dogs be allowed in a grocery store?

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2023, 12:22 PM
Platinum member

Absolutely not!!
A woman brought a dog into Publix Trailwinds.
I complained to an employee and they told me they
Couldn’t do anything.
When checking out the dog had pooped on the floor.
As an employee I would NOT have cleaned it up.

Exactly why dogs should NOT be in stores.
Old 08-14-2023, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,807 Times in 5,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
That realy "burns" me. He told her not to come in with a dog, then cleans up the dogs pee while she is waltzing around the store like Lady Muck. Oh I wish I had been there for that.
I agree. But, the store can refuse to do business with the lady. Just because she went into the store doesn't mean that she can buy anything. The manager doesn't sound very effective.
Old 08-14-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
What a thought provoking question that hasn't been discussed in what, 3-4 days?

The Villages Florida
Well, i tend to pass on by the questions posed here that I dont find thought provoking. But thats just me i guess.....
Personally, keep your dirty creatures out of the food store. The manager needs to man up and tell the miscreant they arent welcome in the store with their mangy mutt. Or let them do their shopping and refuse to check them out. Let them waste an hour of their time.
Old 08-14-2023, 01:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneko View Post
Well, i tend to pass on by the questions posed here that I dont find thought provoking. But thats just me i guess.....
Personally, keep your dirty creatures out of the food store. The manager needs to man up and tell the miscreant they arent welcome in the store with their mangy mutt. Or let them do their shopping and refuse to check them out. Let them waste an hour of their time.
I agree. A manager who can't enforce their own policy should not be a manager.

Regarding Post No. 16, why would customers congratulate a manager who can't do his job? Pretty sad.
Old 08-14-2023, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
What a thought provoking question that hasn't been discussed in what, 3-4 days?

The Villages Florida
Just admit it, JM, you hate these types of dog threads; why? Because you disagree with the majority...
Old 08-14-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree. But, the store can refuse to do business with the lady. Just because she went into the store doesn't mean that she can buy anything. The manager doesn't sound very effective.
I really believe The Village attitude is "do not upset the Villagers" which is ridiculous. Remember the toilet paper sell out during the pandemic .... well I do, I have never seen so many crazy rude old people trying to stock up on toilet paper.
Old 08-14-2023, 01:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,583 Times in 1,326 Posts

Grocery Management is afraid they will be named in a lawsuit, if store loses it’s their job right or wrong.

One of our sons is the COO with 3 high end restaurants. Each has a service dog only sign posted on the front door, and the hostess podium.

They have only one customer who tries to bring her dog multiple times a month, stating that it’s emotional support and her need to eat with the pet. He has turned her away each time, offering take out meal, giving her their attorney’s card, (the one and only time she ate there she snuck the purse dog in and had it on the table eating off her plate).

Yes they could be sued, and it’s a hot button for mom and pop that don’t have attorney money.

They do however have a young girl who comes with her seizure dog, sitting tight against her leg, under the table, her family eats there often using same table right round the corner from front door, and has had one episode that the dog alerted her, and help was called immediately. So far no suits have been filed, and their customers are extremely happy to have a pet free meal.
Old 08-14-2023, 01:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,429 Times in 2,081 Posts

Quote:
I agree. A manager who can't enforce their own policy should not be a manager.

Regarding Post No. 16, why would customers congratulate a manager who can't do his job? Pretty sad.
Even the manager has a boss. I wonder if his hands may be tied more than we realize. Or maybe not.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-14-2023, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
I really believe The Village attitude is "do not upset the Villagers" which is ridiculous. Remember the toilet paper sell out during the pandemic .... well I do, I have never seen so many crazy rude old people trying to stock up on toilet paper.
Speaking of Rude: Not nice to call Older Citizens, "Crazy Rude Old People."
So, "Toilet Paper" is what you continue to think of from the pandemic.
Old 08-14-2023, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,429 Times in 2,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Popeye! View Post
Speaking of Rude: Not nice to call Older Citizens, "Crazy Rude Old People."
So, "Toilet Paper" is what you continue to think of from the pandemic.
Toilet paper, beef, canned tuna, and a few others. I didn’t read that as a criticism of all older citizens, I read it as calling out the subset that can accurately be described as crazy rude older people.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-14-2023, 02:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Even the manager has a boss. I wonder if his hands may be tied more than we realize. Or maybe not.
FYI, here is the official Publix policy from their corporate, Publix.com website:

"Publix permits service animals in the areas of its premises that are open to the public.

A service animal is a dog or miniature horse that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks to assist an individual with a disability. Dogs, miniature horses, or other animals that provide only emotional support, comfort, or companionship are not considered service animals.

A service animal must be under the control of its handler. A service animal must have a harness, leash, or other tether, unless the handler is either unable to use the same because of a disability, or the use of the same would interfere with the service animal’s safe, effective performance of work or tasks. In such case, the service animal must otherwise be under the handler’s control, such as through voice commands, signals, or other effective means.

We ask that non-service animals be removed from the premises. We also ask that service animals that are out of control, pose a threat to health or safety, or are not housebroken be removed from the premises. The individual may continue to shop at the store without the animal. Publix will gladly provide personal shopping assistance to such an individual upon request.

All service animals are prohibited from being carried in a Publix shopping cart (even on a mat) or in Publix wheelchair basket attachments."
Old 08-14-2023, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,170 Times in 5,393 Posts

Quote:
FYI, here is the official Publix policy from their corporate, Publix.com website:

"Publix permits service animals in the areas of its premises that are open to the public.

A service animal is a dog or miniature horse that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks to assist an individual with a disability. Dogs, miniature horses, or other animals that provide only emotional support, comfort, or companionship are not considered service animals.

A service animal must be under the control of its handler. A service animal must have a harness, leash, or other tether, unless the handler is either unable to use the same because of a disability, or the use of the same would interfere with the service animal’s safe, effective performance of work or tasks. In such case, the service animal must otherwise be under the handler’s control, such as through voice commands, signals, or other effective means.

We ask that non-service animals be removed from the premises. We also ask that service animals that are out of control, pose a threat to health or safety, or are not housebroken be removed from the premises. The individual may continue to shop at the store without the animal. Publix will gladly provide personal shopping assistance to such an individual upon request.

All service animals are prohibited from being carried in a Publix shopping cart (even on a mat) or in Publix wheelchair basket attachments."
Is a miniature horse a quarter horse? Asking for a friend.

Wonder if Publix generally follows these guidelines.
Old 08-14-2023, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,664 Times in 1,523 Posts

Love dogs. NO, dogs should not be anywhere near where there is food. That said, I do believe that a seeing eye dog should be allowed for those that are blind. ONLY for those that are sight impaired that require a seeing eye dog to maintain mobility. NO DOGS in grocery stores.
Old 08-14-2023, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,188 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
I read that the Publix at Magnolia Plaza has two large signs that says dogs are not allowed in their store.

Do you think dogs should be allowed in a grocery store?
NO, with the exception of genuine service dogs. Please.....no dogs in the grocery carts without anything to protect the cart. That is just skeevy without cart protection.
Old 08-14-2023, 03:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,188 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
No! Niet! Definitely not.
Service dogs only, and the law should be changed that those animals are fully certified, and proof should be shown on request of management.
But it will never be, because the poor 'bleeding hearts' will be so offended if their 'fur babies' are excluded.
Please, please keep the fur babies at home when you go to the grocery store.

Tags
dogs, allowed, store, grocery, large

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.