Should we wish for a shopping mall close the TV?

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Sage

I get annoyed that I can't tell what store is where bc they are back from the highway and no/inadequate signage. Is there a map to stores around TV? I'm getting more comfy with time, but still miss my target driving by it without any visual cue.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
I get annoyed that I can't tell what store is where bc they are back from the highway and no/inadequate signage. Is there a map to stores around TV? I'm getting more comfy with time, but still miss my target driving by it without any visual cue.
Here ya go: The Villages Shopping Guide Each name on the map is a hyperlink that opens a PDF with a list of stores and a map.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:45 AM
Sage
Default Rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Here ya go: The Villages Shopping Guide Each name on the map is a hyperlink that opens a PDF with a list of stores and a map.
that's what I'm talking about. TOTV rocks and you do too. thanks.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I agree with the others that taking a day trip to Orlando and other places to go to a mall is a good excuse. I personally don't have the need or desire to go to a mall unless for a specific item and to people watch. I just don't see a mall developing near TV and hope it never does.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Gold member

I moved here from Hawaii. I lived in Waikiki and there were many pleasures,stores,hula dancers etc etc etc...I like all that stuff,but I don't want to bring it here. I like the villages just as it is. add more stores and you add traffic and everything that goes with it. you cant bring your former life with you.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
You know, that is a great little map, thank you for posting it. I would also think it might be a stand alone informational thread for people who do not open this one on malls.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Platinum member

Any mall closer than Ocala is too close for me.

In Tampa I have seen older malls in what were originally very nice neighborhoods deteriorate into gang hangouts with the wearing of gang colors and turf wars.

There are a couple of malls in very upscale areas that are bucking this trend, but who knows?................
Old 09-20-2013, 12:13 PM
Veteran member

Before moving to the Villages from the Miami area we lived about a 10 minute walk from the 300 store Aventura Mall. I think the only time I was there in the last 3-4 years before leaving was to go to the Apple Store. The dozens of boutiques and shoe stores kinda had the same look.

Slaughter on 10th Avenue (and more) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMo6w...gbuFRTT06nS9pn
Old 09-21-2013, 07:24 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-25-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:37 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-25-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:15 PM

We do not need a mall here. The mall idea is old. It may be a good idea up north where they have snow and ice, but why here? Also, think of the money the stores need to rent their space and the upkeep of the mall itself. Many stores are hurting and looking for ways to make more money. Some are barely hanging on. Look at Leesburg mall and how many empty stores there which reminds me of some of the malls up north. The shopping at a mall I would do would be to go to a few favorite stores and ignore all the rest.

I agree that if you have a lot of shopping to do, then head on to Orlando or any mall near here. It is sometimes a delight to get out for a day and away (oh no, away from TV) and find some different restaurant around there. Sometimes AAA offers bus trips to some shopping, so if one cannot drive this is an option, but, yes, it will cost you some money for the bus service.

Yes, I would like more variety here, BUT the stores are hurting. We do NOT have enough full time residents to support it.

My 2 cents worth.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:33 PM
Sage
Smile

I think you need a very large population to make a Mall profitable and we don't have it yet. So there's no need to worry about it.

Just picture the traffic at Lake Square Mall. I believe they have 6 lanes of traffic? If you go at the right time of day, it only takes about 1/2 hour to 40 minutes to get there. That's good enough for me.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
In the Detroit area ... There can be an automatic assumption that these kids are up to 'no good' when in reality they are just enjoying hanging out with their friends. This assumption can then be translated as arrogance or anger on our part. Sometime if you find yourself feeling this way try smiling and saying hi. Most often you will be pleasantly surprised by the reaction of these 'tough' teenagers.
Uh ... sometimes those wonderful young teens with hoodies have firearms who then tend to rob and shoot, especially if the victims are older or appear defenseless. Are we talking about the same thing or did I misinterpret?
Old 09-21-2013, 06:21 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
I that we don't have a mall in TV. I like the atmosphere of having smaller shops far better and prefer to give the local shop owners my money. When I need a fix I go to the Orlando outlets and shop along with thousands of other people. That satisfies my need to shop for a long, long time. The exception would be Homegoods, Trader Joes and Costco but that's it.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

I hate to break it to all you Macy's lovers but it is in big financial troubles. I can't see them expanding any or being able to raise the capital to do so. They do have a lot of sales and that is because without keeping their volume up they can't keep it together. But with higher mall rents, more and more unions of sales people and competition from the likes of wallmart and Amazon they just aren't making the profit margin to keep things up. I recently spoke to one of the few of us still working at the pacific Northwest Macys in regional management says Nationally they have not made their numbers since 2006. They make themselves look better to investors by leaning out their workforce and closing stores. Some of the stores they have opened are outlets. Without their direct own label imports they would really be underwater. Ok a disclaimer I was in the buying office at Macys that they closed in 2008 so maybe I have a slightly slanted view.

As far as not having enough population it is the fact that the population is seasonal that is the problem, If the peak population of the villages was year around given the average income level advertised by the villages it would be a good bet, but I would be afraid of opening a store in an area with so many snowbirds.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.