Showing Consideration Toward Neighbors

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2007, 05:08 AM
Veteran member
Default Showing Consideration Toward Neighbors

I started this thread because I wanted to say something on this topic without perpetuating the "dog" thread.

Like our Talk Host, I live near a noise making, incompatible use, but not in the Villages:* An airport.* In my case I knew what I was moving next to (actually, about a mile from). What I didn't anticipate was the inconsiderate recreational activities of several pilots.

Some of these pilots are the most self-centered, inconsiderate wealthy jackasses one can imagine.* They take what amounts to mufflerless flying Harley's and buzz bomb them around - not just setting off car alarms along the street as I have observed some gutted Harley's do, but terrorizing entire neighborhoods from the air.* These are people who place their beloved rich mans hobby above consideration of their neighbors.* They justify their inconsiderateness by thinking that people who moved to within a mile of an airport are not due any consideration.* I beg to differ.* There are airports out in the countryside they could use where they would impact far fewer people with their Red Baron hobby.

We all have our pet hobbies, or hobby pets.* My pet hobby has been hi-fi - LOUD hi fi - since I was a teenager.* And musical instruments.* Things that some people just consider noise (actually, that a lot of people might consider noise ;D).* But I have learned to tone it down if I think it might be heard by the neighbors, and especially at night.

As I'm typing this at 11PM I hear a dog barking incessantly, 3 houses down, obviously outside, owned by a very inconsiderate, unthinking, halfwit neighbor.

Some of us believe attracting and feeding stray _________s (insert name of domestic or wild animal) is the neatest thing to do.* But how does it affect the neighbors?* We need to consider the effect of our actions on others.* Not everyone shares our favorite pastime, no matter how noble or sacred we think it might be.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 12-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Platinum member
Default Re: Showing Consideration Toward Neighbors

Gotta jump on this one. As for the pilots you can always tell when there's one in a bar. He'll tell you. On the other hand many times after maintenance there are flight check requirements. And some of this is full throttle near the airport in case of problems. And you live near an airport for peace & quiet? I too play music loud but not to the point to aggravate neighbors. That's why I-Pods are so big now. I don't want to listen to Michael Bolton over ZZ Top. As for dog barking at O'Dark30 call the proper authorities. If you don't have anyone attend a City Council meeting and complain. They'll hear your bark. And yes many people feed homeless critters. Major pet food companies provide free food alongwith discount spay and neuter certificates. Does this help your dilemma? Probably not but there are other sides to the story.

Steve
Old 12-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Veteran member

These flight's aren't flight checks. The most recent event was a group of 30 WWII T-4's from around the country flying in formation clusters over a three day period over residential neighborhoods. Many residents felt like they were at Pearl Harbor - December 7. The point is that only those small minorities who really appreciate WWII aircraft were not offended by this inconsiderate activity. It is common for other "recreational" formations to fly fairly low making a deafening racket.

How much aircraft noise is heard in The Villages?
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 12-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Platinum member

Sounds like you may want to consider relocating.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Veteran member

10-4 Speaking of F-16's, the owner of the house next door is an F-15 pilot; his wife in Air Force intelligence. A great young couple now stationed in England.

A question remains: What should cause a person to have to move? Should they move because of 5 diving planes, 4 barking dogs, 3 marauding stray cats, 2 practicing drummers, or a pooping partridge in a pear tree? :

The answer: "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."
Old 12-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Platinum member

Hell before ya know it your hearing will be shot and that way you can stay put. Just watch out for the guy in a red suit with some elk or something towing his rig. I've been told they fly at tree top level. ;D
Old 12-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16 1UB
Hell before ya know it your hearing will be shot and that way you can stay put. ;D
That possibility keeps me going. ;D
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.