"Significantly more homes in Wildwood"

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old 03-26-2015, 06:58 PM
joldnol joldnol is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 988
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licismom View Post
"They paved Paradise and put up a parking lot!"
except they didn't....my wife and I are astounded by the huge amount of green spaces around us
  #62  
Old 03-26-2015, 07:16 PM
lanemb lanemb is offline
Member
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Lake Deaton
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

For various reasons we all made the decision to purchase here leaving behind something we either didn't like or we just thought we would like TV much better. Thank God we have the right to choose so it is with no disrespect that I say "Love it or Leave it". In this text that is a positive comment expressing your freedom of choice.

I first visited TV over 10 years ago and listened o the hype before I was even 50. Of course then they were about to build out. As I got closer to retirement and started seriously considering the move once again I heard they are about to build out. I just told my realtor I didn't believe that now as I didn't believe it 10 years ago and asked that he stick to the true facts.

We are now homeowners south of 466A and very much looking forward to the move permanently in the near future. I listen to all the post negative and positive and have made the decisions the positives far out weigh the negatives. Once here if it doesn't measure up or we simply tire of the location I will do as I feel so free to do, move again. And I would do so with no hard feelings. Life is an adventure. Jump aboard.

I look forward to the growth knowing many good concerned citizens are helping direct the path through local regulation. Our best vote is with our wallet. When they stop buying it is because they aren't building what is wanted or needed. I can't wait to watch it develop and hope I continue to love it.
  #63  
Old 03-26-2015, 07:45 PM
perrjojo's Avatar
perrjojo perrjojo is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mission Hills
Posts: 2,279
Thanks: 151
Thanked 303 Times in 73 Posts
Default

We first looked here in 2000. There were 8000 homes. There was one square, one grocery store, no Home Depot, no Lowes, Walmart, Target, Publix, SAMs, Best Buy, etc, etc,etc. I like it better with all of the conviences we have now..even if it means more traffic. Without the added population there would be a long drive to these conviencs.
  #64  
Old 03-26-2015, 07:54 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,388
Thanks: 4,180
Thanked 4,663 Times in 1,597 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
We first looked here in 2000. There were 8000 homes. There was one square, one grocery store, no Home Depot, no Lowes, Walmart, Target, Publix, SAMs, Best Buy, etc, etc,etc. I like it better with all of the conviences we have now..even if it means more traffic. Without the added population there would be a long drive to these conviencs.

I agree. There will be folks whose glass is always half empty and those whose glass is half full and Pollyanna's like me whose cup runneth over. Maybe got just a few years left so why shouldn't I find happy things????? We all forget sometimes that this is the third quarter for most of us.

Why all this negativity??? Now is the time to dance in the rain. AND THIS is the place to do it.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-26-2015 at 09:15 PM.
  #65  
Old 03-26-2015, 09:07 PM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,681
Thanks: 1,685
Thanked 238 Times in 180 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanemb View Post
Life is an adventure. Jump aboard.

I look forward to the growth knowing many good concerned citizens are helping direct the path through local regulation. Our best vote is with our wallet. When they stop buying it is because they aren't building what is wanted or needed. I can't wait to watch it develop and hope I continue to love it.
Beautiful post. I have a feeling that you're going to love The Villages. With your positive attitude, you'll make good friends quickly.
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
  #66  
Old 03-26-2015, 10:47 PM
Polar Bear's Avatar
Polar Bear Polar Bear is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,675
Thanks: 220
Thanked 903 Times in 368 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper1 View Post
...People are paying $300,000 and more for homes that would cost $150,000 anywhere else. That is a big premium for the "lifestyle"...
Out of pure curiosity, I regularly check home values in areas where I've lived or visited, family members have lived or visited, and other areas at random...I simply don't find this statement to be true. And I didn't find it to be true when I purchased my home in TV.
  #67  
Old 03-27-2015, 01:28 AM
Bonanza's Avatar
Bonanza Bonanza is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,985
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
You're obviously sincere about your concerns. I would never belittle that. But at the same time, TV has expanded many times. I don't think people are discarding your thoughts. They're simply saying that they don't agree with your assessment...which I must say is rather doom-and-gloom.

The developers have been responsible so far. I don't think there's any reason to think that will change. And of course many Villagers are from areas that make any congestion in TV, now and for the foreseeable future, look trivial by comparison. I'm one of those.

Hang in there. I simply don't think it will be as bad as you think. In fact...it's possible that it won't be bad at all.

If you think for one moment that with the addition of a few thousand more homes being built off of 466A, that nothing will change, I have a bridge to sell you.
Don't kid yourself -- It will not only directly affect traffic on 466A, but also Buena Vista and Morse. In simple terms, it has to.

And I don't think the OP's assessment was characterized with doom and gloom. I found it quite realistic.
__________________
A Promise Made is a Debt Unpaid
~~ Robert W. Service ~~
  #68  
Old 03-27-2015, 02:12 AM
Bonanza's Avatar
Bonanza Bonanza is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,985
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobh521 View Post
I am sure the developer has taken some of your concerns into consideration. We live South of 466a and love it. I can't foresee the area being any busier than the 441/27 corridor.
There is no way you can compare the traffic on 441 to the network of streets within TV.

441 is a state road and you can drive to Ft. Lauderdale, if you chose to. It is a road of mainly three lanes of traffic in each direction with a large median. It has traffic lights in larger commercial and residential areas and long stretches of smooth sailing without any stops. It has many left and right hand turn lanes. The traffic moves and there is hardly ever a traffic jam.

With 30 and 35 mph (maximum) within TV, added to a multitude of circles, and 15 and 20 mph on some internal streets, movement will always be pretty much at a snail's pace.

Morse and Buena could have been designed similarly to the roadway part of 441, but they weren't. Our circles are beautiful, but so are the 4 corners of 466 and 466a, which no one ever seems to mention. IMO, we have too many circles which prevents a smooth flow of traffic. We won't talk about what it does to your tires and gas consumption.

Sorry, but you can't compare 441 and our streets in the same breath.
__________________
A Promise Made is a Debt Unpaid
~~ Robert W. Service ~~
  #69  
Old 03-27-2015, 05:46 AM
CraigC CraigC is offline
Member
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hillsborough
Posts: 85
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
There is no way you can compare the traffic on 441 to the network of streets within TV.

441 is a state road and you can drive to Ft. Lauderdale, if you chose to. It is a road of mainly three lanes of traffic in each direction with a large median. It has traffic lights in larger commercial and residential areas and long stretches of smooth sailing without any stops. It has many left and right hand turn lanes. The traffic moves and there is hardly ever a traffic jam.

With 30 and 35 mph (maximum) within TV, added to a multitude of circles, and 15 and 20 mph on some internal streets, movement will always be pretty much at a snail's pace.

Morse and Buena could have been designed similarly to the roadway part of 441, but they weren't. Our circles are beautiful, but so are the 4 corners of 466 and 466a, which no one ever seems to mention. IMO, we have too many circles which prevents a smooth flow of traffic. We won't talk about what it does to your tires and gas consumption.

Sorry, but you can't compare 441 and our streets in the same breath.
Well, I don't ever see a real backup at any of the circles unless there has been an accident or some type of roadwork. They seem to work quite well considering how many accidents we have at the traffic lights.

As for gas consumption, I assure you, that putting in stop signs or traffic lights would increase gas consumption not decrease it. I don't know about the increased wear on tires, but that is a possibility. Has someone documented the increased wear due to circles? Is the increase in wear enough to worry about considering that we would all be burning more gas if the circles were changed to traffic lights or stop signs?
  #70  
Old 03-27-2015, 07:57 AM
Polar Bear's Avatar
Polar Bear Polar Bear is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,675
Thanks: 220
Thanked 903 Times in 368 Posts
Default "Significantly more homes in Wildwood"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post


If you think for one moment that with the addition of a few thousand more homes being built off of 466A, that nothing will change, I have a bridge to sell you.

Don't kid yourself -- It will not only directly affect traffic on 466A, but also Buena Vista and Morse. In simple terms, it has to.

And I don't think the OP's assessment was characterized with doom and gloom. I found it quite realistic.
Not one word of my post says nothing will change. Things absolutely will change. I just don't see it as the bad thing you apparently do.
  #71  
Old 03-27-2015, 08:22 AM
Polar Bear's Avatar
Polar Bear Polar Bear is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,675
Thanks: 220
Thanked 903 Times in 368 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
There is no way you can compare the traffic on 441 to the network of streets within TV
Totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
It has...traffic lights in larger commercial and residential areas and long stretches of smooth sailing without any stops...
"Without any stops"? Highly debatable, especially during the peak season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
...Morse and Buena could have been designed similarly to the roadway part of 441, but they weren't...
You're right, they could have been. And if they had been, it would have been a huge mistake. They're arterial/collector/distributor roads that are designed appropriately to serve their purpose...not state roads designed to take traffic long distances at high speeds. Like you said, you can't compare 441 to Morse and BV. There are reasons for that. Good reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
...we have too many circles which prevents a smooth flow of traffic. We won't talk about what it does to your...gas consumption...
Here's the biggest flaw in your post...roundabouts facilitate the smooth flow of traffic. It has been documented in more than one traffic study. Stopping at every intersection where there is now a roundabout would increase travel times and congestion. Almost every aspect of traffic flow would be worse. And yes...let's do talk about gas consumption...it would be dramatically increased with stop signs or traffic signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
...Sorry, but you can't compare 441 and our streets in the same breath...
Again, one thing we can agree upon.
  #72  
Old 03-27-2015, 08:57 AM
Skybo Skybo is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Villages
Posts: 664
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The purchase and development of this small parcel of land by TV makes sense. It's practically surrounded by TV now. I remember "hearing" that TV attempted to buy it years ago, but the owner either didn't want to sell or wanted too much money. If TV had been able to purchase it back then, it would have had homes on it 4 or 5 years ago when they built Tamarind Grove, Buttonwood, etc. Just a couple of years ago it was rezoned from Agricultural to Mixed Use and there were plans floated for another developer to put in commercial, medical and residential units. I remember seeing concept drawings of that development posted here on TOTV. I don't know why that fell through, and maybe it's still on the table. After all, Wildwood hasn't even agreed to letting TV purchase the property yet. But as many other people have already stated, something will eventually go there.
  #73  
Old 03-27-2015, 04:03 PM
skip0358's Avatar
skip0358 skip0358 is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,286
Thanks: 80
Thanked 316 Times in 105 Posts
Default

Well the channel 9 news reported last night that TV is going after land on Rt. 44 & Powell Rd. so that must be next to the Publix Shopping center & S/O the new Villa Section. They have a meeting set with wildwood to discuss this.
__________________
Patchogue, NY; Village of Bonita Sept.09
  #74  
Old 03-27-2015, 04:34 PM
asianthree's Avatar
asianthree asianthree is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennacamp, Fernandinia 2 Frogs
Posts: 7,152
Thanks: 19
Thanked 1,096 Times in 419 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Well the channel 9 news reported last night that TV is going after land on Rt. 44 & Powell Rd. so that must be next to the Publix Shopping center & S/O the new Villa Section. They have a meeting set with wildwood to discuss this.
Courtyard villas
__________________
Do not worry about things you can not change
  #75  
Old 03-27-2015, 07:25 PM
NYGUY NYGUY is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Village of Charlotte
Posts: 1,643
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Well the channel 9 news reported last night that TV is going after land on Rt. 44 & Powell Rd. so that must be next to the Publix Shopping center & S/O the new Villa Section. They have a meeting set with wildwood to discuss this.
When I saw that report, I had the impression that they got the location wrong and that they should have said 466A & Powell Rd. (the location of the previously reported potential 200 acre purchase on the north side of 466A). I could be wrong though and there is another 200 acres on 44.
__________________
Don't take life too seriously, it's not like you're going to get out alive!!!
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.