Sinkhole near Cane Garden

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2012, 05:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
Couldn't have said it better Carla! I'm betting that next year all our rates go up or are gone until this all settles down.

Wonder how many say go un-protected and just let the bank take it when it disappeares?
I have ASI and it appears they significantly raised their rates somewhere around last May (plus or minus a month or two). For example, my renewal was for August and insurance went up somewhere around 20%, mostly due to sinkhole and "approved" rate increases. All the folks complaining about rate increases now are catching up to last year's approved rate hike.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to those coming up on this next year of renewals (i.e. after May'ish) to see there is another significant rate hike or other changes in sinkhole coverage.

Someone asked earlier, and never got a good answer.... for folks who have recently closed on new homes in Sanibel or St James...what has been your experience in obtaining sinkhole coverage as part of your HO insurance?
Old 04-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Veteran member

Has the Cane Garden sinkhole been repaired yet?
Old 04-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I was by there two weeks ago and they had repaired the underground and had filled the hole. They had not repaired the house porch or garage yet. I would guess they need to wait until the concrete they injected under the home has had a chance to cure. Probably takes 8 to 10 days for that. Looks like they will return it to as good as new. Probably better then other homes right around it now.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:41 PM

Bought my home in the Villages from the Villages with mortgage by the Villages (i.e. Citizens First) with home insurance by the Villages.
So if it disappears into a sinkhole, I'll let the Villages worry about it.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonerboy View Post
Bought my home in the Villages from the Villages with mortgage by the Villages (i.e. Citizens First) with home insurance by the Villages.
I like it Zoner, I like it.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Smile

Quote:
Old 04-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
I have ASI and it appears they significantly raised their rates somewhere around last May (plus or minus a month or two). For example, my renewal was for August and insurance went up somewhere around 20%, mostly due to sinkhole and "approved" rate increases. All the folks complaining about rate increases now are catching up to last year's approved rate hike.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to those coming up on this next year of renewals (i.e. after May'ish) to see there is another significant rate hike or other changes in sinkhole coverage.

Someone asked earlier, and never got a good answer.... for folks who have recently closed on new homes in Sanibel or St James...what has been your experience in obtaining sinkhole coverage as part of your HO insurance?

Ours (ASI) went up 31.9% due mid May 2012. Have to start winning some more bass tournaments.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Gold member
Default Rates

Quote:
If they get crazy and raise the insurance rate next year I'm with you.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Location: The Villages, FL, village of Sanibel (previously Colchester, CT and Dallas, PA)

We just got our homeowner's insurance through AAA. We were told that we just made the deadline before significant changes would take place in FL regarding sinkhole insurance coverage. (We close April 12, changes take place April 15.) The change would be in the deductible for the sinkhole insurance. Presently, it is 1,000. After the 15th the deductible will increase to 10% of purchase price. (sinkhole claims only.) We still have to get an inspection of the property before they will issue the insurance so I am hoping we pass!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I was by there two weeks ago and they had repaired the underground and had filled the hole. They had not repaired the house porch or garage yet. I would guess they need to wait until the concrete they injected under the home has had a chance to cure. Probably takes 8 to 10 days for that. Looks like they will return it to as good as new. Probably better then other homes right around it now.
Thanks for the update. I was just curious how long it takes to correct the damage.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Default Sink Hole Insurance Inspection

We have homeowners through The Villages. When I called to add sink hole coverage, I was told we would have to have an inspection which costs $140. And I think the lady said, hardly anyone passes the inspection. She was right. We had a hairline crack (what stucco houses doesn't have a hairline crack?) and were turned down. This is all due to new rules approved by Florida legislature.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Veteran member
Default We need a crystal ball

This is getting serious. Insurance rates going up, deductable increasing. The shifting sands will be our demise of our future .We need a crystal ball.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Veteran member

Cane Garden was not a sinkhole claim. It was classified as catastrophic ground collapse which is included in policies.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Sage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFan View Post
Cane Garden was not a sinkhole claim. It was classified as catastrophic ground collapse which is included in policies.
What is the technical difference between a sinkhole and a catastrophic ground collapse?
Old 04-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
What is the technical difference between a sinkhole and a catastrophic ground collapse?
See post #36 in this thread.

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.