Old 03-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Location: From Colonial Heights, VA- now in Village of Gilchrist 213

I would get sink hole coverage for the peace of mind. Simple as that--
Old 03-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyMooreRN View Post
I would get sink hole coverage for the peace of mind. Simple as that--
Uh..Notice upper post. You essentially cannot get it anymore. In a very short time sinkhole insurance will be as extinct as the Dodo in FL.

There is also a distinct difference in FL between "Catastrophic Ground Collapse" and "Sinkhole" insurance. What happened to the people near Tampa is Catastrophic Ground Collapse & that IS a part of all FL homeowner's policies. "Sinkhole" insurance is different and covers (ed) less dynamic problems. For example..There is a major sinkhole down your street, but it does not make your home unliveable. However..it does cause some cracks in your walls or your concrete blocks. Catastrophic Ground will NOT cover those damages. "Sinkhole" insurance will (or would).

Currently in FL most insurance underwriters are now discontinuing the "Sinkhole" riders when in-force policies renew. Our agent at Villages Insurance told us about how many people locally came howling to the office when they found this out when their policies renewed in 2012. There will be more of that in 2013, and even more in 2014. Soon it will be gone all together. But remember..we're talking about "sinkhole" not "Catastrophic Ground Collapse". That's still in EVERY FL homeowner's policy.

In moving to Florida I learned more about "Sinkhole" insurance than I ever wanted to know. And I didn't learn it by rumor & speculation, I had our Villages Insurance agent go over it all step by step.

If you want "sinkhole" in FL you're very unlikely to get it. It's just the way it is.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Sage
And keep an eye on the Florida Legislature when they begin their annual session on Tuesday. They promise to take up property insurance, and everytime they do, it seems the consumer always loses.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
This is a picture I took about a year ago of a sinkhole that opened up behind Cane Gardens.
isn't that scary!

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 03-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,512 Times in 1,912 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Please read Rubicon's post below. It makes a lot of sense.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-03-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
Plus with the changes in actual sinkhole coverage there is now a 10% deductible on most if not all sinkhole policies and that 10% represents the value of the home not the cost to repair. Also the proceeds from the insurance must now be used to repair the home, unless you or your legal rep. negotiate the settlement with the insurance company then you don't legally have to use it to repair. What happened in the past is that many homeowners would get cracks and some settling of the home file a claim get the cost of remediating a sinkhole (could be $100K plus) pocket the money and not repair the "damage" and continue to live in the home.
Cantwaittoarrive: I recall viidly reading about those accounts especially heavy claims in the Tampa-St Pete area. Some of these homeowners were milking the daylights out of these claims. So the insurance industry's response was was certainly expected. and I can't blame them in this case. Insuring property in the stae of Florida is a problem. Florida like new jersey and some other states tried to stat insure and lost or are losing their shirts. It is why Scott opened up an insurers ability to raise premium. in part to help subsidize and reduce the exposure and size of Citizens Property.

Did insurer's go overboard in the amount of premium increases and deductible amounts???? Only your actuary really knows.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Veteran member

bump
Old 03-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Cantwaittoarrive: I recall viidly reading about those accounts especially heavy claims in the Tampa-St Pete area. Some of these homeowners were milking the daylights out of these claims. So the insurance industry's response was was certainly expected. and I can't blame them in this case. Insuring property in the stae of Florida is a problem. Florida like new jersey and some other states tried to stat insure and lost or are losing their shirts. It is why Scott opened up an insurers ability to raise premium. in part to help subsidize and reduce the exposure and size of Citizens Property.

Did insurer's go overboard in the amount of premium increases and deductible amounts???? Only your actuary really knows.
Actually according to what our insurance agent told us, it was the FL legislature that enacted insurance "reform" and allowed the various FL underwriters to walk away from providing sinkhole coverage.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
This is a picture I took about a year ago of a sinkhole that opened up behind Cane Gardens.
This is NOT sinkhole. This is Catastrophic Ground Collapse
Every home insurance policy in the state of FL is covered for this subject to your regular homeowners deductible. The house is condemned or not livable while being fixed.

Sinkhole insurance is for the holes under the earth that we do not see, the home can be lived in while being fixed. This is subject to a special deductible, typically 10% now, but some insurance companies just don't cover it.

Also it is not because homeowners put false claims in to the insurance companies, but the sinkhole companies that scared homeowners into putting in a claim.

This happened right here in TV!!! One villa had some settling issues and they did find voids under the home, but of course there are voids all over Florida in the limestone. The sinkhole company was brought in by the insurance company and while they were in the neighborhood. The spoke to other neighbors, who suddenly then felt the need to call their own insurance company. Now most of the homes in the villa community have had sinkhole work done.
They didn't really have any issues in the first plaice, but they and hundreds of other claims are the reason why the verbiage on the policies have changed (must have damage to the home).
This and all the others are the reason why we either don't have the coverage or we have to pay 10% deduct.

I have done my homework on this, have purchased one of the homes and was able to get insurance and a mortgage.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:35 AM

Is this in TV?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.