Smoke detector

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 12-22-2019, 02:54 PM
photo1902 photo1902 is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,048
Thanks: 445
Thanked 492 Times in 206 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssparry View Post
We totally replaced the entire smoke alarm system in our home with the Omnishield system. Contact Andy Lamb at alambfire@yahoo.com to learn about the system. Tell him I recommended the system. Do you think your garage is some place that a major fire may occur.....auto, golf cart, h/w heater, lawn equip, etc., etc. Did you know that The Villages DOES NOT put fire alarms in our garages!!!!
Of course they don’t put smoke detectors in garages. Nor should they!
  #17  
Old 12-22-2019, 03:28 PM
Chatbrat Chatbrat is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,423
Thanks: 0
Thanked 982 Times in 379 Posts
Default

With an attached garage and a car with a keyless ignition a CO detector is a good idea--people have died ,when they pull the car into garage and forgot to turn off the ignition, I, too, thought that a CO detector in an all electric house is useless, till I found out about the problem with keyless ignition cars
  #18  
Old 12-22-2019, 04:18 PM
600th Photo Sq 600th Photo Sq is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 862
Thanks: 1
Thanked 425 Times in 139 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
We replaced our smoke detector about 1 year ago. It is so sensitive it goes off even if you are cooking on the top of the stove. It is so frustrating. Any suggestions other than removing the battery?
Call the Non Emergency phone number @the Fire Dept. they will at no charge help you.
  #19  
Old 12-22-2019, 04:48 PM
Topspinmo's Avatar
Topspinmo Topspinmo is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.
Posts: 6,531
Thanks: 2,561
Thanked 1,483 Times in 691 Posts
Default

Most CYV, patio houses, and some low end designer’s don’t have exhaust fan over the the stove that don’t exits to the attics or outside It just pulls the steam/smoke off top of stove and vent it through filter and exits above stove from the exhaust hood attached to microwave. If you have home that don’t exit to attic and you have smoke detector in the kitchen at ceilings height when you cook or bake and something spilled out in the oven and smokes the detector going to go off. Yes, I know majority don’t use oven’s in the villages.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 12-22-2019 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Don’t added
  #20  
Old 12-22-2019, 05:32 PM
BobnBev's Avatar
BobnBev BobnBev is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sanibel
Posts: 1,959
Thanks: 1
Thanked 148 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Heck View Post
You need to make sure to get photo electric verses ionization type detectors. You also need to make sure all of your detectors are the same brand. They have to work together as a team. If they are different, you will have problems.

As a retired firefighter and alarm technician, I can attest to this. Also, if your house has is all electric, there is no need for CO detectors, so don't waste your money on these.
Not a waste of money, Mike. Only like $30.
__________________
Patriot Guard Riders--"Standing for Those Who Have Stood for US"!

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
  #21  
Old 12-22-2019, 05:35 PM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is online now
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 5,127
Thanks: 394
Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,157 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Most CYV, patio houses, and some low end designer’s don’t have exhaust fan over the the stove that exits to the attics. It just pulls the steam/smoke off top of stove and vent it through filter and exits above stove from the exhaust hood attached to microwave. If you have home that don’t exit to attic and you have smoke detector in the kitchen at ceilings height when you cook or bake and something spilled out in the oven and smokes the detector going to go off. Yes, I know majority don’t use oven’s in the villages.
Venting into the attic is no longer allowed by the building code. If you vent the kitchen or the bathrooms, they need to vent to the outside of the house.
  #22  
Old 12-22-2019, 06:00 PM
Topspinmo's Avatar
Topspinmo Topspinmo is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.
Posts: 6,531
Thanks: 2,561
Thanked 1,483 Times in 691 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
With an attached garage and a car with a keyless ignition a CO detector is a good idea--people have died ,when they pull the car into garage and forgot to turn off the ignition, I, too, thought that a CO detector in an all electric house is useless, till I found out about the problem with keyless ignition cars
Or radon gas
  #23  
Old 12-22-2019, 06:09 PM
photo1902 photo1902 is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,048
Thanks: 445
Thanked 492 Times in 206 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Heck View Post
You need to make sure to get photo electric verses ionization type detectors. You also need to make sure all of your detectors are the same brand. They have to work together as a team. If they are different, you will have problems.

As a retired firefighter and alarm technician, I can attest to this. Also, if your house has is all electric, there is no need for CO detectors, so don't waste your money on these.
Does the law not require a CO2 in every building with an attached garage? Regardless of whether the home is all-electric?
  #24  
Old 12-22-2019, 07:19 PM
Robbie0723 Robbie0723 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 688
Thanks: 475
Thanked 367 Times in 173 Posts
Default

Florida Fla. Stat. § 553.885 – Carbon monoxide alarm required

Requires that every building for which a building permit is issued for new construction on or after July 1, 2008, and having a fossil-fuel-burning heater or appliance, a fireplace, or an attached garage shall have an approved operational carbon monoxide alarm installed within 10 feet of each room used for sleeping purposes.
  #25  
Old 12-23-2019, 11:14 PM
NavyVet NavyVet is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 233
Thanks: 737
Thanked 168 Times in 105 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssparry View Post
We totally replaced the entire smoke alarm system in our home with the Omnishield system. Contact Andy Lamb at alambfire@yahoo.com to learn about the system. Tell him I recommended the system. Do you think your garage is some place that a major fire may occur.....auto, golf cart, h/w heater, lawn equip, etc., etc. Did you know that The Villages DOES NOT put fire alarms in our garages!!!!
We did too. Quality is night and day. Well worth it for the peace of mind of being truly protected. We also got the flooding sensors so if any appliance, sink, toilet, started leaking, we'd be alerted. Love the phone app and the bed shaker!
__________________



Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
  #26  
Old 12-23-2019, 11:24 PM
dpmers dpmers is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 25
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Smoke detectors have an expiration life, order new ones from Amazon. Mine expired after 10 years, there is a date on the devise.
Closed Thread

Tags
smoke, detector, frustrating, cooking, suggestions

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 AM.