Smoke detector

Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2019, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssparry View Post
We totally replaced the entire smoke alarm system in our home with the Omnishield system. Contact Andy Lamb at alambfire@yahoo.com to learn about the system. Tell him I recommended the system. Do you think your garage is some place that a major fire may occur.....auto, golf cart, h/w heater, lawn equip, etc., etc. Did you know that The Villages DOES NOT put fire alarms in our garages!!!!
Of course they don’t put smoke detectors in garages. Nor should they!
Old 12-22-2019, 03:28 PM
Sage

With an attached garage and a car with a keyless ignition a CO detector is a good idea--people have died ,when they pull the car into garage and forgot to turn off the ignition, I, too, thought that a CO detector in an all electric house is useless, till I found out about the problem with keyless ignition cars
Old 12-22-2019, 04:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
We replaced our smoke detector about 1 year ago. It is so sensitive it goes off even if you are cooking on the top of the stove. It is so frustrating. Any suggestions other than removing the battery?
Call the Non Emergency phone number @the Fire Dept. they will at no charge help you.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Most CYV, patio houses, and some low end designer’s don’t have exhaust fan over the the stove that don’t exits to the attics or outside It just pulls the steam/smoke off top of stove and vent it through filter and exits above stove from the exhaust hood attached to microwave. If you have home that don’t exit to attic and you have smoke detector in the kitchen at ceilings height when you cook or bake and something spilled out in the oven and smokes the detector going to go off. Yes, I know majority don’t use oven’s in the villages.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 12-22-2019 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Don’t added
Old 12-22-2019, 05:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Heck View Post
You need to make sure to get photo electric verses ionization type detectors. You also need to make sure all of your detectors are the same brand. They have to work together as a team. If they are different, you will have problems.

As a retired firefighter and alarm technician, I can attest to this. Also, if your house has is all electric, there is no need for CO detectors, so don't waste your money on these.
Not a waste of money, Mike. Only like $30.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 12-22-2019, 05:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Most CYV, patio houses, and some low end designer’s don’t have exhaust fan over the the stove that exits to the attics. It just pulls the steam/smoke off top of stove and vent it through filter and exits above stove from the exhaust hood attached to microwave. If you have home that don’t exit to attic and you have smoke detector in the kitchen at ceilings height when you cook or bake and something spilled out in the oven and smokes the detector going to go off. Yes, I know majority don’t use oven’s in the villages.
Venting into the attic is no longer allowed by the building code. If you vent the kitchen or the bathrooms, they need to vent to the outside of the house.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
With an attached garage and a car with a keyless ignition a CO detector is a good idea--people have died ,when they pull the car into garage and forgot to turn off the ignition, I, too, thought that a CO detector in an all electric house is useless, till I found out about the problem with keyless ignition cars
Or radon gas
Old 12-22-2019, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Heck View Post
You need to make sure to get photo electric verses ionization type detectors. You also need to make sure all of your detectors are the same brand. They have to work together as a team. If they are different, you will have problems.

As a retired firefighter and alarm technician, I can attest to this. Also, if your house has is all electric, there is no need for CO detectors, so don't waste your money on these.
Does the law not require a CO2 in every building with an attached garage? Regardless of whether the home is all-electric?
Old 12-22-2019, 07:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Florida Fla. Stat. § 553.885 – Carbon monoxide alarm required

Requires that every building for which a building permit is issued for new construction on or after July 1, 2008, and having a fossil-fuel-burning heater or appliance, a fireplace, or an attached garage shall have an approved operational carbon monoxide alarm installed within 10 feet of each room used for sleeping purposes.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssparry View Post
We totally replaced the entire smoke alarm system in our home with the Omnishield system. Contact Andy Lamb at alambfire@yahoo.com to learn about the system. Tell him I recommended the system. Do you think your garage is some place that a major fire may occur.....auto, golf cart, h/w heater, lawn equip, etc., etc. Did you know that The Villages DOES NOT put fire alarms in our garages!!!!
We did too. Quality is night and day. Well worth it for the peace of mind of being truly protected. We also got the flooding sensors so if any appliance, sink, toilet, started leaking, we'd be alerted. Love the phone app and the bed shaker!

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 12-23-2019, 11:24 PM

Smoke detectors have an expiration life, order new ones from Amazon. Mine expired after 10 years, there is a date on the devise.
Closed Thread

Tags
smoke, detector, frustrating, cooking, suggestions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.